This discussion is archived
14 Replies Latest reply: Mar 20, 2013 5:14 PM by stevengw03 RSS

Will Sprint offer the Nokia Lumia 920 or any windows 8 phones this year?

Cello1 Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

I have decided to start a new contract with AT&T next month because they will be offering the Nokia Lumia 920 a Windows 8 phone then, but before I drop Sprint I would like to know if Sprint will carry any windows 8 phones this year? It will help me decide on signing into a contract with ATT and canceling later, paying the no contract price for the phone, or staying here with Sprint and just waiting it out. If Sprint does plan on carrying Windows phone 8 will it be the Nokia Lumia 920?

• 1. Re: Will Sprint offer the Nokia Lumia 920 or any windows 8 phones this year?
    ky158151 Sprint Employee

As of right now we at Sprint do not have any information regarding a Windows 8 device. You can stay up to date on all news releases by visiting www.sprint.com/newsroom

• 2. Re: Will Sprint offer the Nokia Lumia 920 or any windows 8 phones this year?
    TIM_IA Newbie

In other words, Sprint will just keep its customers in the dark about the windows phones. Sprint might get the Nokia Lumia 920 in 6 month after AT&T's exculsive is over. But i wouldn't count on it. Just like with the Iphone, Sprint will be late to the party once again.

I'm jumping off the sprint ship in December, 

• 3. Re: Will Sprint offer the Nokia Lumia 920 or any windows 8 phones this year?
    tomn18 Regular Visitor

I've been a Sprint customer since the 90's and while I have switched on and off a few times to other providers, I have always kept coming back to sprint.  The lack of support for Windows Phone is the last straw for me though and I will be leaving Sprint permanently for a Lumia 920 or 922 on a different provider.  If Sprint hadn't done such a poor job in choosing WP7 hardware and pushing customers to _not_ buy the Arrive, they would have sold many more phones.

• 4. Re: Will Sprint offer the Nokia Lumia 920 or any windows 8 phones this year?
    Cello1 Regular Visitor

I remeber going into the Sprint store and asking for the Arrive and asking about the preorder and the sales agent had no information for me. I went home and called Sprint and they told me to go back again and talk to another staff.  When I return after the release date, I was trying to pay for the Arrive and the agent kept trying to get me to get a Iphone 4 or the Galaxy S 2.  I had explain to him that I already have a Galaxy S2 and the iphone doesnt work for me at all.  I wanted the Arrive because of its capabilities, it had Office, Adobe, Xbox live, etc.. on it, but he started talking about the lack of apps.  Not a problem for me, I was able to install the most important apps the same day I purchase and within a month or two I had about 40 additional apps that were very popular. Bottom line is the lack of knowledge and failure to promote the Window phone brand is the reason why the Windows phone didn't do well on the Sprint network. A lot of people blame the size of the phone for its down fall, but come on you have to be extremely weak if 2 lbs phone makes you strain.

• 5. Re: Will Sprint offer the Nokia Lumia 920 or any windows 8 phones this year?
    Sanyo_69 Newbie

Looks like Sprint really doesn't care about us dedicated Windows Phone users. I am going on my 4th HTC Arrive replacement and prefer to stay with Windows. I just wish that Sprint steps up to the plate and get on the ball with new phones and more selection. They also need to hurry with their 4G service to rural areas and not just concentrate in metro areas. We are just as important!

• 6. Re: Will Sprint offer the Nokia Lumia 920 or any windows 8 phones this year?
    BigJCowboys2288 Regular Visitor

rural....I live in Tucson az...and never have had 4g service?? Not even in PHX....The only time i have seen it was In Dallas this past nov.... They need to step it up OR merge with someone who has ther sh!t together!

• 7. Re: Will Sprint offer the Nokia Lumia 920 or any windows 8 phones this year?
    thenet95 Valued Member

I was at CES event last week Jan 8th and sprint just announced they will be having htc and Samsung wp8 device this summer. if you don't believe this than I don't think sprint will LIE and announce this at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) which draws about 150,000 people attending the event. When sprint announced it many people cheered so yes expect it come this summer 2013. You can also Google it and see for yourself the info or go to sprint blog. For me I can wait and now it's official and glad no more looking at androids or iPhones. So all you complainers saying I am going to tmobile,Verizon or art go ahead and get billed more on your data use. Now sprint realize wp8 is selling like hotcakes

• 8. Re: Will Sprint offer the Nokia Lumia 920 or any windows 8 phones this year?
    thenet95 Valued Member

I was at CES event last week Jan 8th and sprint just announced they will be having htc and Samsung wp8 device this summer. if you don't believe this than I don't think sprint will LIE and announce this at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) which draws about 150,000 people attending the event. When sprint announced it many people cheered so yes expect it come this summer 2013. You can also Google it and see for yourself the info or go to sprint blog. For me I can wait and now it's official and glad no more looking at androids or iPhones. So all you complainers saying I am going to tmobile,Verizon or art go ahead and get billed more on your data use. Now sprint realize wp8 is selling like hotcakes

• 9. Re: Will Sprint offer the Nokia Lumia 920 or any windows 8 phones this year?
    DFrost40 Regular Visitor

It's nice that Sprint made the announcement of carrying windows 8 phones but I think that they may be mid range phones like the just announced lumia 720, the rumored htc tiara or the samsung ativ. While these are nice phones I would prefer the lumia 920 or better. I want make a threat of leaving because I know the value I get by being with Sprint. But I can honestly say that it's an option I will consider. This is primarily because Sprint's fascination with android and ios has essentially closed the door on them moving quickly to adopt other phones that may gain mainstream traction with the carrier.

Take a look at the advertising, I see the upcoming samsung g4 and the iphone 5 but no mention of the z10, q10 or any windows 8 phones and they only mention it on the forums as refer to this link for more information. Not very encouraging to customers when you take choice out of the equation.

• 10. Re: Will Sprint offer the Nokia Lumia 920 or any windows 8 phones this year?
    Dutchie Sprint Employee

- Dfrost40 We do not have any more information on the devices than what has been communicted but Samsung and HTC usually make high end devices. Devices are still in development/testing stage so specifications, even if they leak, can still change last minute. It is not so much our fascination with IOS and Android, but more customer demand. IOS and Android currently are the most popular in the current consumer market in the US so that is what getting released. Apple of course has less flavors than Android available device wise.

We have announced 2 WP8 devices and the BB Q10 as upcoming alternatives for IOS and Android. I use a Blackberry myself so I fully understand your frustration. In regards to both WP8 and BB10 I suspect more devices following the coming year, but this will also depend on how well both are received. 

- Mark

Social Media Care 

• 11. Re: Will Sprint offer the Nokia Lumia 920 or any windows 8 phones this year?
    DFrost40 Regular Visitor

Thanks for the speedy response and I fully understand your point. However, I have never been a fan of Apple ( I really hate following the crowd), then with android it's pretty much dog eat dog. When you look at the current climate with in the android camps Samsung is the alpha dog with no sign of relinquishing that title anytime soon, HTC can't catch a break and really needs the htc one to be a hit and the rest are just jocking for the leftovers. Not to mention, Google just came out with the announcement of just a few phones in the Motorola portfolio that may be worth anything and consumers may essentially have to wait for that relationship to pan out.

I guess what I am saying is that I stick with Sprint what do I have to look forward to phone wise. At the present, there are only a few phones on the site worth considering iphone, samsung galaxy note II, samsung galaxy 3 and maybe an lg optimus with nothing but one offering from htc (android), one offering from blackberry (q10), an offering from htc (windows 8) and possibly samsung with a (windows 8 offering). So that would make maybe 8 phones to pick from when it's time for an upgrade. Unfortunately this does not inspire confidence especially since some of the others may be mid range with only 4 being considered high end.

I was really expecting a little more especially with the moves that Sprint has made recently with the acquistion of clearwire and the pending approval of a merger between Softbank and the now network.

But once again, thanks for the speedy response and I hope something catches my attention by April 1st, when I'm due for an upgrade. Who knows I may have to wait another year just to get something I really like. Time to take a serious look at those refurbs Sprint sells now.

• 12. Re: Will Sprint offer the Nokia Lumia 920 or any windows 8 phones this year?
    ALPHAXI0306 Valued Member

@DFrost40 Don't expect much.  I guarantee Sprint will have one phone with a keyboard and one without.  They will both be around $200 sitting next to a free or $50 android phone and then they'll say, the phones just not moving and is not worth their time.  Just like they did with the Arrive.

• 13. Re: Will Sprint offer the Nokia Lumia 920 or any windows 8 phones this year?
    DFrost40 Regular Visitor

At this point, I'm not expecting a whole lot. My upgrade is due next month there is no mention of anything new coming down the pike and my contract is up in June. I seriously have to consider switching to a new carrier just because I don't want to feel forced into picking up an Android or Iphone device due to the lack of options on the network as of today. The really sad part I love the service but can't stand the choices in phones. **** I would be cool with a Htc 8x, some other windows os provider or I would also consider the Htc one (don't like android but willing to try that one because of HTC) along with the Blackberry z10 to go along with my Blackberry Playbook. Unfortunately, they will not carry any of these with the exception of the HTC one which is suffering delays due to supply chain issues and their refusal to get the z10 but giving the standard line they gave with windows "We are waiting for something fresh and different from Windows and Blackberry" translation "Not going to happen." I really like Sprint but will unfortunately have to move on.

• 14. Re: Will Sprint offer the Nokia Lumia 920 or any windows 8 phones this year?
    stevengw03 Newbie

I totally agree about te lack of Windows phones from Sprint.  Don't know what the marketing scheme is with that choice!!!  I am hangin' on too.  I was told that there will be Windows phones possibly in the next month to 2 months.  My upgrade is available in August and I was told there would be Windows phones far in advance of that.  I also agree with you about the Sprint service and cost.  There is not a better company I think.  Simple scheme for how much plans cost and no "extra" huge charges for one thing or another.  I too, do no like Android at all but it is more useful than Iphone I think - but really excited about Windows phones making a surge.

Steve

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points