This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Nov 8, 2012 10:46 AM by fireguy_6364 RSS

Did Sprint ever upgrade their existing 3G network?

J.Ly Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

I heard that Sprint bypassed their network upgrade and decided to go straight with LTE deployment.  Could this be the reason why my "3G" service is slower than Verizon's?  (same phone, same location, outdoor, full signal strength on both phones).  I'd be lucky to get 400Kbps during work hours.  As others have mentioned, and witnessed it myself, Verizon's 3G consisently downloads at 1+Mbps.

• 1. Re: Did Sprint ever upgrade their existing 3G network?
    Valued Member

sprint is not going to do anything to improve 3g they are going to roll out 4g so yes your only real hope is 4g lte or wimax other than that only thing sprint is really doing with 3g is just making sure sprint 3g doesn't get sprained

• 2. Re: Did Sprint ever upgrade their existing 3G network?
    J.Ly Regular Visitor

If they had invested all that "wimax" money into upgrading the existing 3G network, they would now have a strong 3G network + LTE expansion.  That would put them squarely up against Verizon Wireless.

• 3. Re: Did Sprint ever upgrade their existing 3G network?
    SA_Viper43 Bronze Expert

truly_unlimited-data wrote:

sprint is not going to do anything to improve 3g they are going to roll out 4g so yes your only real hope is 4g lte or wimax other than that only thing sprint is really doing with 3g is just making sure sprint 3g doesn't get sprained

You are incorrect,

Network Vision is Sprint’s plan to consolidate multiple network technologies into one new, seamless network with the goal of increasing efficiency and enhancing network coverage, call quality and data speeds for customers across the United States. In addition to deploying a new 3G network, Sprint will roll out LTE nationwide.

• 4. Re: Did Sprint ever upgrade their existing 3G network?
    Valued Member

i know that but 3g if im not mistaken is running in the 1900 freq which means the higher the number the badder the in-building penetration and the only thing this upgrade is going to do if im not wrong on my statistics will only improve coverage by 20% im not saying that sprint is not going to enhance its network or nothing im just saying that whoever is not in that 20% you'll either need to still you use a airave or go with a new carrier or complain more until you get your results

• 5. Re: Did Sprint ever upgrade their existing 3G network?
    fireguy_6364 Master

at the same time theyre already setting up the towers to use the 800mhz spectrum...they just have yet to flip the switch on it..they were cleared to use it a few months ago if im remembering right..but none of the currently available phones can use it anyways..doesnt mean theyre not going to future proof the system to be ready to flip a switch and light it up as well though

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...