9 Replies Latest reply: Nov 8, 2012 11:55 AM by smotrs RSS

Split Text issues

harshturtle Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hello,

I just got my 4g lte yesterday and I've had this issue with stock messagers and aftermarket ones. I will click DO NOT split messages and it continues to split them. Can you tell me why this issue is happening to me? It was fine on my old htc evo. I've read that it is a CDMA issue. Can you explain what that means and how I can fix it? Also, is there an app that might fix it?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Split Text issues
    SprintIronman Social Care

harshturtle,

The Evo LTE runs on a 160 character limit and then breaks the text messages up. This is not a CDMA issue, which refers to the network the device is on. Currently there isn't a way to change this setting. I'm unaware of any 3rd party applications that can bypass this setting on the phone. Thanks for reaching out!

- Dan H

Sprint Social Care Team

• 2. Re: Split Text issues
    harshturtle Newbie

Thank you. Can you please explain why they did that? What is the plus side for doing that? Will it be fixed??

• 3. Re: Split Text issues
    smotrs Master

Any option for "Do not split messages" has to be third party as I don't recall that being an option on the stock messaging app. In any case, as Dan above mentioned, the phone has a builtin 160 character limit, past that and it automatically gets broken into 2 or more messages. There is no way to overide this. Now it is possible that a third party app can rejoin the messages once they are received, but the default messaging app doesn't have that functionality.

• 4. Re: Split Text issues
    smotrs Master

Keep in mind, SMS stands for Short Message Service. The way it works is by transmitting very small amounts of information across the voice lines to a recipient device. Unfortunately, the amount of this data is limited to 140 bytes or 160 characters. This is a limitation thats been in place for quite some time.

• 5. Re: Split Text issues
    harshturtle Newbie

i have tried handcent and gosms and they still split them up.. Weird...

• 6. Re: Split Text issues
    smotrs Master

When you say "split them up" are you saying the message, after you send it on your phone is showing 2 parts rather then 1 message? Or are you saying that a message you receive is in 2 parts?

The second is normal and how it typically appears. The first isn't. A message you send whether it's 40 characters or 260 characters will still show up as 1 message on your phone but the person receiving it would get multiple messages in 160 character increments. So if you sent a message that had 260 characters, your phone would show 1 message but the recipient would end up with 2 messages.

• 7. Re: Split Text issues
    fireguy_6364 Master

yah the only way to bypass this is to send it as a mms instead...which is a pain...then again this has been how they do it even stretching back to the original evo.

• 8. Re: Split Text issues
    SprintIronman Social Care

smotrs,

Correct, the message on your device will typically show as one message. However when it goes above the character limit the recipient will see (1/2) with part of the message and then (2/2) with the remainder of the text. Currently there isn't a way to change how that comes across to the recipient.

Dan

Sprint Social Care Team

• 9. Re: Split Text issues
    smotrs Master

Exactly. 

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...