This discussion is archived
13 Replies Latest reply: Nov 10, 2012 7:19 AM by JonMcR RSS

Why do I have to pay $10 for data and can not get 4G?

LoveIIHateMe Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

I live in Kentucky and we do not have 4G. I don't understand why I am paying for a data plan + $10 for having a smart phone. I have a Samsung Galaxy S2.

• 1. Re: Why do I have to pay $10 for data and can not get 4G?
    Chris_ra Social Care

Hello LovellHateMe,

Thanks for your post. We have the $10 premium data charge for smartphones to provide an unlimited data-usage experience across the network including 3G and 4G. The charge isn't specifically for 4G usage. We are however working diligently to roll out our 4G in the entire footprint of our 3G service. You can see the official explanation of the premium data charge here: http://bit.ly/REFbnK

Thank you,

*Chris

• 2. Re: Why do I have to pay $10 for data and can not get 4G?
    DarkAvionics Valued Member

Chris,

Do you think maybe it's a bad idea to be quoting the 4G party line when the phone in question will not be able to connect to 4G (LTE)?

• 3. Re: Why do I have to pay $10 for data and can not get 4G?
    SA_Viper43 Bronze Expert

Chris explained it just fine. I don't know what you are talking about.

• 4. Re: Why do I have to pay $10 for data and can not get 4G?
    JonMcR Expert

SA_Viper43 wrote:

Chris explained it just fine. I don't know what you are talking about.

Maybe, since the GS2 doesn't even have a 4G radio in it, he's talking about the fact that someone who isn't even using a 4G LTE capable device speaking out about 4G not being in their area yet.

• 5. Re: Why do I have to pay $10 for data and can not get 4G?
    DarkAvionics Valued Member

For clarification: the Samsung Galaxy S II can access 4G Wimax, which was thinly rolled out by Sprint and since abandoned in favor of 4G LTE.

Unless some other carrier decides to implement Wimax in the area the original poster (OP) lives in, which I doubt, considering Sprint was  pretty much the last holdout on the LTE bandwagon, then he will never get 4G reception on his phone.

If someone sold the OP that phone with the promise that 4G was coming to his area, then he could concievably claim fraud.

• 6. Re: Why do I have to pay $10 for data and can not get 4G?
    mavka Expert

The $10 covers the extra data demand that usually accompanies a smartphone. 4G has nothing to do with it. My account typically runs about 3.5GB per month in data usage on a bunch of 3G iPhones, which tells me 3G doesn't have any problem pulling down a bunch of data. If it makes you feel any better, other carriers have the same charge, and it's higher.

• 7. Re: Why do I have to pay $10 for data and can not get 4G?
    SUPERTBONE Valued Member

The fee was rolled our initially for 4G Wimax connections then rolled out to all 3G smartphones. That is unfortunate because I cannot get a reliable Wimax coverage here at home and 3G is very, very slow here. Premium data fee for slow, non existant data.

• 8. Re: Why do I have to pay $10 for data and can not get 4G?
    Karim_Abdullah Regular Visitor

I agree.  Initially, the fee was accessed for having a 4G phone.  I got a HTC Evo 4G because Sprint said they were expanding 4G and the cost is only applied to 4G phones.  A few months later, they started to charge the $10 fee to all phones 3G and 4G.  To this day after 23 months, I am still waiting for some kind of 4G service.  This is the reson why I will be soon switching to Verizon or AT&T.  If I am buying a 4G LTE phone, I expect it to work from day 1, not 1 year from now.  I would rather pay the higher monthly fee for good service.  Sprint is #1 is customer service.   It is also #1 in loosing customers.

• 9. Re: Why do I have to pay $10 for data and can not get 4G?
    JonMcR Expert

Karim_Abdullah wrote:

I agree.  Initially, the fee was accessed for having a 4G phone.  I got a HTC Evo 4G because Sprint said they were expanding 4G and the cost is only applied to 4G phones.  A few months later, they started to charge the $10 fee to all phones 3G and 4G.  To this day after 23 months, I am still waiting for some kind of 4G service.  This is the reson why I will be soon switching to Verizon or AT&T.  If I am buying a 4G LTE phone, I expect it to work from day 1, not 1 year from now.  I would rather pay the higher monthly fee for good service.  Sprint is #1 is customer service.   It is also #1 in loosing customers.

The phone works, dude. You bought a 4G LTE phone, and were able to make phone calls and surf the network on 3G speeds...just because you aren't getting the speed you think you should be getting DOES NOT mean the phone doesn't work...so saying the phone "should work from day 1" is blatant disregard for the facts.

Fact is, you were made aware of the network before signing an agreement. Fact is, the phone works, you just want it to work a certain way...and you're embellishing the truth as to sound like you got took.

Some of this has to fall back on the customer,  you don't go buy a car without knowing nothing about the manufacturer or what kind of gasoline would be used in the car..no other purchase anyone makes is done so in blind faith and everyone who makes a purchase usually is informed, whether by research beforehand, or by finding out during the purchase. Playing little red riding hood after the fact is neglect on your part to do your part as a consumer..not Sprint's fault because they can't roll out 4G fast enough to suit you.

• 10. Re: Why do I have to pay $10 for data and can not get 4G?
    Karim_Abdullah Regular Visitor

Sorry, I should have clarified.  The phone itself was excellent.  Nothing wrong with Samsung S3.  However, Sprint coverage map shows that I have excellent coverage in my area for LTE.  To test this, I went to a Sprint store and asked them to try the S3 for a day or 2.  I got the pohone and tested it.  No go.  The service was terrible.  That day I roamed through my city and found a spot where there was LTE.  I saw that the speed where 4G LTE was available had approx 10 Mb download and 6 Mb upload.  Very nice speeds when service is available.  I also complimented Sprint in another discussion on Networks and Coverage.

JohnMcR - I am glad you are happy with Sprint.

• 11. Re: Why do I have to pay $10 for data and can not get 4G?
    Hyancey1 Newbie

Well I completely disagree with you on this one because from day one since I received my phone I started getting more and more dropped calls and buffering 24/7. I've had to call numerous times and even the Tech said they could not hear me and hung up on me.  So

Far for me this is the worse service I have ever had.  Oh and must I bring up Youtube?  OMG!!!!?!? Can I at least watch one video all the way through without it buffering!!!?? Now see I was told that there is "less" buffering lol what a joke! I guess the joke is on me! You only gotta fool me once and I'm out! No more Sprint for me! I am so done!  I much rather pay a little more money for much better service.

• 12. Re: Why do I have to pay $10 for data and can not get 4G?
    frecklenutz Newbie

JonMcR have you ever bought a new car? If you were told a new car was going to behave a certain way would you believe the salesman, or would you be obligated to wait to see the outcome of the car? That is the analogy that I find to be the easiest to handle. This problem is a disconnect on Sprints part, no part knows what the other is doing. We get "answers" from the sales people that may or may not be true (I have come to understand that no part of Sprint know what the other is doing).I was also told that I would have WiMax and it never happened. I am very upset that this happens and I can get no answers. That is just my opinion and I am in a very crappy service area that "is going to get upgraded", so I can be a little angry and sympathetic with others dealing with this.

• 13. Re: Why do I have to pay $10 for data and can not get 4G?
    JonMcR Expert

frecklenutz wrote:

JonMcR have you ever bought a new car? If you were told a new car was going to behave a certain way would you believe the salesman, or would you be obligated to wait to see the outcome of the car? That is the analogy that I find to be the easiest to handle. This problem is a disconnect on Sprints part, no part knows what the other is doing. We get "answers" from the sales people that may or may not be true (I have come to understand that no part of Sprint know what the other is doing).I was also told that I would have WiMax and it never happened. I am very upset that this happens and I can get no answers. That is just my opinion and I am in a very crappy service area that "is going to get upgraded", so I can be a little angry and sympathetic with others dealing with this.

You're "in an area"....bud let me explain MY area to you:

When I first got Sprint, 5 years ago, I had NO service. NONE. At home, the phone would go into a virtual sleep mode, because there wasn't even 0-1 bars. If you tried to place a call, you got the message that you couldn't. 10 minutes away in, a little town, I barely got decent service, and it was roaming at that (which means Verizon's tower since Sprint shares the same technology - CDMA)...

I decided to stick it out and dealt with things as they were...from January when I signed up, until the following December. I made a call to Sprint on Dec 29, 3 days away from my 1 year being up. I told the agent to look back at my minutes used, as I only had ONE phone at the time, and was paying for the 450 minutes/month plan. I never, in any month that first year, went over 45 minutes of usage. I told the agent that I couldn't use my phone, and was paying for minutes that I would never get to take advantage of.

This began the Samsung Airave introduction to my home.

Once I got the Airave, I saw how great it worked at home, and actually called back in February and got my wife a phone. So going into my 2nd year, I acquired the 2nd line. Still, around the area we live, service left something to be desired...but slowly we began to see Sprint on our phones instead of roaming...and signal got stronger. A tower was commissioned...which is why we started seeing stronger signals.

Data speeds though...atrocious. .20mbps download, .08mbps upload. never get over .30mbps download.

I usually am driving, so I don't have much time to watch youtube away from home...my wife and I usually, actually TALK to each other in the vehicle together...go figure a married couple has conversations...so she doesn't use it much either....so we can live with it. Slowly we are seeing data speeds increase around this area. I know what's happening, they are increasing backhaul to the towers in preparation for 3G advanced/4G LTE in this area.

For 5 years, I've lived in an area that usually gets things after everyone else...my home, where I have lived for the past 25+ years, didn't have high-speed internet until 2008. Up until that point, it was dialup or nothing. And now AT&T is wanting to drop the copper business altogether..leaving us on the "last mile" out in the cold...so my cell provider may be the only link I get to the outside world. Luckily, I literally live right next to the AT&T hut for my area, and this particular DSLAM powers a cell tower that's 1 mile away. I live literally a mile from the AT&T cell tower...but do I want AT&T service?? I think the past 5 years can answer that question. Even though they bug me every month in my bill for DSL trying to get me to switch over...I still stick with Sprint.

And seeing the infusion of money from the Softbank acquisition is a great thing...as they are already advancing cities that weren't supposed to start getting 4G until mid-2013. So I know it won't be long especially with Sprint getting all this money from Softbank to help with the 4G rollout.

Sorry, I don't take the same "I'm mad and I want something for nothing" tone that most people do about cell service. It's a phone..so what I can't stream youtube while driving down the road at 65mph...maybe that means I'll live to see another day instead of running over some innocent family.  I don't see the luxury in disconnecting from family time with my wife friend so I can plant my head into a cell phone watching videos or listening to music on the phone during time out of the house. There's radio, and I have actual living beings, that reside with me, that I can interact with. I don't need for my cell phone to be closer to me than my entire family.

Maybe if people would put things in perspective and pay attention to their surroundings, like family and spouses, we wouldn't see all the kids on TV trying to tell Dr. Phil their problems and going on TV shows that promote teen pregnancy because it looks cool and those girls on MTV make it out to be so wonderful.

I'm only 33 year old, and the direction the digital age has taken when it comes to families actually doing things as a family is disturbing -- and that's putting it mildly.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points