This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Nov 20, 2012 11:50 AM by wingland RSS

Sprint vs. Verizon

Billdoe1975 Expert
Currently Being Moderated

I was at work talking to a buddy that had switched from Sprint to Verizon and he was non stop blah blahing about his 4G LTE. With Sprint he had the I phone and would not stop telling me how slow Sprints net work is. He since got him a razzor MAXX. I have a Photon 4G and I told him Wimax wasn't to bad. So he insisted we did a side by side speed test. Now I know and everyone else knows wimax doesn't hold a candle to LTE. None the less I said lets do it, knowing whats going to happen. So I hit begin, and I got a solid respectable 11.00 (Thats about as fast as I have ever gotten) For a second I thought that the old Photon might pull this off, that is until he hit begin. he posted a 28.2mbps. and that opened the flood gates about how crappy Sprint is. Another buddy suggested a 3G speed test sighting we were comparing apples to oranges. I was already a little embarassed about the 1st round but what the ****. The MAXX posted .84 Mbps. The MIGHTY Photon did a awesome 1.75Mbps. Verizon guy insisted that was a false test and wanted me to run another. So I did. A monsterous 1.83Mbps. In your face Verizon!

• 1. Re: Sprint vs. Verizon
    Billdoe1975 Expert

I live in St. Pete and the cross streets were 3rd ave N. and 16th st. N. About 930 a.m.

• 2. Re: Sprint vs. Verizon
    M09865 Valued Member

You have to remember that WiMAX is ran by ClearWire and it usually tops out at 15 Mbit/s down (not capped just average peak) and 1.5 Mbit/s up which is what it's capped at. Sprint's LTE will be better than Verizon's because Verizon will  be playing catch up to add capacity because they have only sparingly deployed cell sites to create coverage as they have 700 MHz spectrum for LTE which goes  much further. Sprint has 800 MHz spectrum but it will be in use until 6/31/13 by the Nextel iDEN network. Sprint will be rolling out LTE in 800 MHz and 1900 MHz spectrum. First Sprint is rolling out LTE in 1900 MHz which requires them to put LTE on every cell site and it goes just as far as 3G. With LTE on every cell site it means they have more capacity per square mile of coverage than Verizon or AT&T. Sprint's LTE will top out at around 37Mbit/s down and 18Mbit/s up with full signal which it has been shown to actually be able to do.

• 3. Re: Sprint vs. Verizon
    BENNY484 Valued Member

You forgot to mention Verizon is not UNLIMITED what he will do with 28.2mbps of speed, read emails????? watching a netfilx movie at that speed will cost him 2GB per movie.

• 4. Re: Sprint vs. Verizon
    fireguy_6364 Master

the highest speed test to date on sprints LTE i have seen posted was a face smacking 39mbps..its still unknown if or by how much it will settle out once more people are on the LTE bandwagon..but still..

i DO however like how verizon jumped out and did that commercial about LTE comparrisons between att, tmo, verizon and sprint..obviously sprint will be bottom rung..they have only been deploying their LTE for roughly a year lol..once sprint is done they should do a rebuttle commercial and do the SAME style with the graph...obviously that chart will then be reversed lol

• 5. Re: Sprint vs. Verizon
    fireguy_6364 Master

oddly enough verizon just put in LTE in the town i work in..buddy did a speed test and was stoked..i showed him 5 speed tests from sprint customers in the newly deployed LTE areas and he's pretty sure once his contract is up he's going to hold off for sprint to get LTE in our area lol..he was dumbstruck..even better once i showed him that just about ALL of sprints current 3G coverage will have LTE..not just one tower like verizon did here

• 6. Re: Sprint vs. Verizon
    wingland Sprint Admin

Fun!  Glad to see the improvements are making a difference, and great to hear real world reports from the field.

Thanks!

Will

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...