14 Replies Latest reply: Oct 21, 2013 4:39 PM by pense RSS

iPhone Insurance

electricalguy78 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Am I the only one in the world that was mislead about Applecare?  I was told it covered everything from loss, to damage. I lost my phone and am now out a phone, the $100 I paid for applecare under the guise of "covers everything" and possibly $650 to buy a new iPhone!  Any thoughts on this ?

• 1. Re: iPhone Insurance
    alk1122 Expert

I wasnt aware it covered theft or lose.  I was under the impression it only covered damage.  From their website:

http://www.apple.com/legal/applecare/appforiphone.html

4.1 Hardware Service. Apple may restrict service to the Covered Equipment’s original Country of Purchase. The Plan does not apply to: (i) Installation, removal or disposal of the Covered Equipment, or provision of equipment while the Covered Equipment is being serviced; (ii) Damage caused by (a) a product that is not the Covered Equipment, (b) accident, abuse, misuse, liquid contact, fire, earthquake or other external causes, (c) operating the Covered Equipment outside the permitted or intended uses described by the manufacturer, or (d) service (including upgrades and expansions) performed by anyone who is not a representative of Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider (“AASP”); (iii) Covered Equipment with a serial number that has been altered, defaced or removed, or has been modified to alter its functionality or capability without the written permission of the manufacturer; (iv) Covered Equipment that has been lost or stolen. This Plan only covers Covered Equipment that is returned to Apple in its entirety; (v) Cosmetic damage to the Covered Equipment including but not limited to scratches, dents and broken plastic on ports; (vi) Preventative maintenance on the Covered Equipment; or (vii) Defects caused by normal wear and tear or otherwise due to normal aging of the product.

Sorry if a Sprint or Apple rep told you otherwise

• 2. Re: iPhone Insurance
    seeblue1 Bronze Expert

I feel your pain, but It could hardly be spelled out any clearer:

http://www.apple.com/support/products/iphone.html

Anytime you buy ANYTHING, and you have concerns about services, loss, warranty, replacement or an expectation of longevity, you've got to read the contract(s) or at least the easier to read quick description of services provided. Expect nothing and read to find out what you're really going to get.

• 3. Re: iPhone Insurance
    yogarocks Newbie

I bought an iPhone 4s and wanted my sprint insurance plan to roll-over onto this new device (I used to have an EVO). The sprint rep told me that it couldn't roll the sprint insurance plan over to an iPhone, but that within the first 24 hours of your purchase you can buy AppleCare thru Sprint which will cover extending the manufacturers warranty out for an additional year (maybe two -- check on that???) + it covers anything else that happens to the phone (cracked screen, mechanical errors, etc...) BUT IT DOES NOT COVER if the phone is loss or stolen (no insurance option/plan covers it if this phone is lost or stolen). The other thing you should know is that if you do get this plan you have 2 incidents maximum to report within the two year time period and each one will have a $50 deductible. This is pretty much what I have learned both from speaking to three reps at Sprint + the AppleCare peeps as well. Hope this info helps you avoid the issues I went thru

• 4. Re: iPhone Insurance
    14KNIGHT Sprint Employee

There are third party companies that will sell insurance to cover loss or theft of an IPhone.  You can do a quick Google search for the  names  the ones I have seen generally chare about 100 dollars coverage for lost or stolen devices and is a single up front payment.   The Apple care plus extends the apple warranty to two years from the  date of activation  and will not extend beyond that time.

• 5. Re: iPhone Insurance
    Valued Member

Like 14KNIGHT said, there are third party insurance companies that you can use for insurance that coveres lost or stolen phones.

My actual credit card company, covers my insurance on my phone, but works a little difffrent.

I have to first go out and purchase the new device that I need ...

Then send the recipt back in to 5/3 bank .. and they will send me a check back .. for 200 bucks...

• 6. Re: iPhone Insurance
    lisa11668 Newbie

i was told by my sprint rep that the iphone insurance covers loss of the phone only if you have the find my iphone app installed turned on and the phone still cannot be recovered,  but the selling point was the damage coverage that i recieve because i can be a bit hard on phones protective cases or not

• 7. Re: iPhone Insurance
    14KNIGHT Sprint Employee

Apple Care Plus does not cover lost or stolen devices under any circumstances.   I would activate find my phone so if it  goes missing and is lost you have some chance of finding it.

• 8. Re: iPhone Insurance
    popo5050 Newbie

acording to the policy listed above the plan does not cover accidental damage:  The Plan does not apply to: Installation, removal or disposal of the Covered Equipment, or provision of equipment while the Covered Equipment is being serviced; (ii) Damage caused by (a) a product that is not the Covered Equipment, (b) accident, abuse, misuse, liquid contact, fire, earthquake or other external causes.

I'm thinking what is the use of getting this applecare?

• 9. Re: iPhone Insurance
    mavka Expert

Hey, popo. Accidental damage is covered for up to two incidents over the 24 month duration of the agreement. Check out section 3.2 of the terms and conditions:

http://images.apple.com/legal/applecare/docs/applecareplus.pdf

• 10. Re: iPhone Insurance
    Ark Newbie

Accidental damage but not accidental water damage, none of the lame apple care plans cover that

• 11. Re: iPhone Insurance
    nycwrit Newbie

yes water damage is covered. took my phone skiing and well they replaced it.

• 12. Re: iPhone Insurance
    nycwrit Newbie

the are 2 kinds of apple care. i hope you are talking about apple care plus, which does cover any kind of accidental damage and they usually just replace it they don't fix it so i love it.

• 13. Re: iPhone Insurance
    Energy892010 Newbie

I Bought my iPhone last May, I just dropped it and broke the screen in two places, when I bough my phone I vapid 200 dollars for apple care for insurance I hope to god they cover my screen as its broken so bad I keep cut in my fingers on the screen when I type a message, if not ill have to wait for the money and find a place to replace the screen.

• 14. Re: iPhone Insurance
    pense Newbie

No, you are not alone. I was told it was total coverage, and therefore better than the Assurion coverage-the only thing was that it was required up front.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points