4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 2, 2012 2:25 PM by Fergie_B RSS

iPhone 5 is not activated.

bcd100 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hi, I need help! I bought a new iPhone 5 (Sprint) without contract. I activated the phone with a Sprint sim card inside it. So far, I haven't got a statement saying that the iPhone is activated. Instead, everytime I turn on the phone, there is always a statement: "Waiting for the activation" with no signal and after sometime, it says: "iPhone is not activated. Contact your carrier if this problem continues to occur", but at this point there are signal bars. I don't know whether the iPhone is activated at this point. FYI, I am not a Sprint customer, and so I don't have Sprint services/plans and phone number for the iPhone 5, because I want to give it to my parent (she is not in the US). I called Sprint customer service but they said that I have to have a Sprint account to activate it. Is that true?

• 1. Re: iPhone 5 is not activated.
    eyoungren1 Expert

Unlike Verizon, Sprint iPhones are not unlocked. You may have bought the phone without a contract, but it's still locked to Sprint's network. You can get Sprint to give you an International unlock, but you need to be a customer in good standing with them for at least three months. And it's only an inernational unlock.

The signal bars are because the phone is communicating with the Sprint network, but your phone is not authorized (activated) to use the Sprint network so you can't make calls or use data. To activate you will need to purchase a plan with Sprint. At that point, they will authorize your phone to be on the network.

But that all defeats your purpose for buying the phone. You might try calling Sprint International Services (no idea what the number is). You may get lucky and they might unlock it internationally, but I doubt it.

Essentially, unless you become a Sprint customer you now have nothing more than an iPod Touch.

• 2. Re: iPhone 5 is not activated.
    bcd100 Newbie

Thanks for the explanation, but I still have questions. At this point, does it mean the iPhone is not activated? I want to unlock it using an unlock service and iTunes, but will it work without purchasing a Sprint plan?

• 3. Re: iPhone 5 is not activated.
    eyoungren1 Expert

Your phone is not activated. You have to have a plan with Sprint before they will activate your phone. You can check this by turning off WiFi. If you cannot make a call and you cannot browse the internet on cellular, your phone is not activated. Activating it will require purchasing a plan from Sprint and getting them to activate the phone on their end.

I have no idea if an unlock will work or not via a service and iTunes. That said, it's my understanding that an unlock is simply a matter of adding your phone's IMEI to Apple's database of unlocked phones. People charge $100 or more for that because they have access to the database and can enter the IMEI directly.

• 4. Re: iPhone 5 is not activated.
    Fergie_B Sprint Employee

bcd100 wrote:

Hi, I need help! I bought a new iPhone 5 (Sprint) without contract. I activated the phone with a Sprint sim card inside it. So far, I haven't got a statement saying that the iPhone is activated. Instead, everytime I turn on the phone, there is always a statement: "Waiting for the activation" with no signal and after sometime, it says: "iPhone is not activated. Contact your carrier if this problem continues to occur", but at this point there are signal bars. I don't know whether the iPhone is activated at this point. FYI, I am not a Sprint customer, and so I don't have Sprint services/plans and phone number for the iPhone 5, because I want to give it to my parent (she is not in the US). I called Sprint customer service but they said that I have to have a Sprint account to activate it. Is that true?

In order to fully activate your device, it would have to be attached to Sprint account.  Once it is activated on your Sprint account, we can definitely assist with getting the device activated.

Sincerely,

Fergie_B

Sprint Technical Support
    Community Hours: 9am-2pm CST Sunday-Wednesday

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points