This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 26, 2010 6:22 AM by AWilliamsen79 RSS

Not getting 3G Coverage Like Coverage Map Says I Should-Beware of its Accuracy!

Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

Before I upgraded to my Blackberry with EVDO, I made sure that there was high speed data coverage where I live because I work from home often. The coverage map on Sprint.com shows high speed data all around me, but I don't get the EVDO signal in my house or even outside my house. If I drive about 1/4 mile up the street, the EVDO signal comes in. I feel a little cheated. I guess the coverage map on the website isn't really accurate so if you're going by that, beware!

• 1. Re: Not getting 3G Coverage Like Coverage Map Says I Should-Beware of its Accuracy!
    Gold Expert

I take it you missed one of the many disclaimers that are provided...like...

This tool provides high-level estimates of our wireless coverage. Coverage is not available everywhere and varies based on a number of factors.

Just because the coverage on the website looks good doesn't mean that it is the case. What I would always recommend is to ask people who use Sprint locally what their coverage is like. That way, you hopefully will minimize the number of surprises...at least as far as coverage and data speed is concerned.

Also, make sure that your BB is running the latest software upgrade too. Sometimes not having the latest firmware upgrade can make the difference between 1xrtt and EVDO rev A.

• 2. Re: Not getting 3G Coverage Like Coverage Map Says I Should-Beware of its Accuracy!
    Valued Member

where i live the map shows zero service just roaming. i can put my phone on sprint only and use my evdo rev a on the net and my ptt. i have a moto v950. but i cant make a call. if i drive 3 mil up the road i can make a call. sprint did not belive me and they got a tech and had me ptt them. so it can go ether way.

• 3. Re: Not getting 3G Coverage Like Coverage Map Says I Should-Beware of its Accuracy!
    halcyoncmdr123 Sprint Employee

Sounds like the EvDO signal is getting through but the 1xRTT signal used by the voice portion of the device is not getting through sufficiently. Gotta admit that's a new one to me.

• 4. Re: Not getting 3G Coverage Like Coverage Map Says I Should-Beware of its Accuracy!
    miketech_79 Bronze Expert

I have had the opposite happen to me, shows roaming coverage yet I have obtained a very good Sprint signal. I know what someone is going to say: the roaming indicator does not show anymore (nope, not on my phone, so that is not it) and that I was in some 3rd party affiliate coverage (nope, none around where I was) and I know someone is going to say that the signal came from a roaming provider that will show as Sprint. Again nope.

So yes these maps are not very accurate. I wish that Sprint still had the old tower maps. I have been pushing for them to bring those back. Then identify what is at each tower (iDEN, CDMA, EVDO REV 0, EVDO REV A, etc.)

• 5. Re: Not getting 3G Coverage Like Coverage Map Says I Should-Beware of its Accuracy!
    AWilliamsen79 Regular Visitor

I have had the same exact experience with Sprint's new coverage maps. I have made several other posts about Sprint's 3G coverage in Laredo, TX and apparently some other people have had issues with it as well. The coverage maps clearly show Laredo as being well within a 3G coverage area, yet 3G cuts out about twenty miles outside the city. When I would figure to be other way around, considering twenty miles outside of Laredo literally puts you in the middle of nowhere. I totally understand that these maps are an "approximation" of coverage, but there is a mighty big difference between an "approximation" and an outright bold faced lie. It's also extreamely weird to find that Sprint hasn't taken the time to upgrade their network in a city as large and as international as Laredo to 3G. Granted, Laredo isn't Houston by any means, but it's the nations largest inland port, and quite a bit of national companies do business in Laredo. <sigh> As far as their coverage in the Corpus Chrsti/Kingsville area, I have absolutely no complaints.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...