This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply: Dec 27, 2012 3:46 PM by RENEB64 RSS

Upgrade phone to Galaxy Note II

ngssec Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

I have been due for an upgrade since this past Feb. 2012.  I would now like to purchase the galaxy note II, however, $299.00 is just too much.  I noticed that there are deals with Sprint online for new customers for this phone at a cost of $149.00.  How do i get the phone for the lower cost?  I've been a sprint customer for approx. 9 years.  Doesn't that count for anything?

• 1. Re: Upgrade phone to Galaxy Note II
    Chris_ra Social Care

ngssec,

Have you looked into our Buy Back program? This may give you the ability to sell back your current device and offset some of the cost of the new Note 2.

I realize we have been running some specials but, currently the Samsung Note 2 is $299 for both new and existing customers (with current upgrade eligibility).

Thank you,

Chris

• 2. Re: Upgrade phone to Galaxy Note II
    ngssec Regular Visitor

Thanks, but yes, I would get a whopping $5.00....not much help.  And, I have seen ads for new customers (Amazon or Walmart) for $149.00 for the Note II....so it isn't $299.00 for everyone.

• 3. Re: Upgrade phone to Galaxy Note II
    ngssec Regular Visitor

http://wireless.amazon.com/dp/B00A0CIS5C

Above is the link to the Amazon ad...there are buttons to indicate if the buyer is an existing customer or a new customer wiht Sprint.  The price jumps from $149 for new, to 279 for existing.

• 4. Re: Upgrade phone to Galaxy Note II
    Chris_ra Social Care

Ah, I see - I am unable to speak for our retail vendors unfortunately. I am only able to see internal Sprint prices an promotions. It's up to the retail outlet like Walmart and Amazon to provide those kind of pricing deals. Perhaps the Galaxy SIII would be appealing to you? It is currently $100 dollars less then the Note 2 and a comparable device.

Thank you,

Chris

• 5. Re: Upgrade phone to Galaxy Note II
    ngssec Regular Visitor

No.  I like the size of the Note.  I guess I will have to switch to another company.

• 6. Re: Upgrade phone to Galaxy Note II
    Julian4G Regular Visitor

You could cancel your service and re-apply as a new customer through Amazon to get the $150 price on the Note II.  You might lose your phone number in the process and that might be important to you. 

To keep your number, you could port it to a non-contract provider and get a single month of service, then port it back to Sprint as a new customer, but this seems like a lot of work.

I am in the same boat and not very happy that Sprint (and other carriers) offer their best deals to new customers but don't do the same for their loyal existing customers.  If you haven't guessed, I am in the market for an upgrade to the Note II as well.

• 7. Re: Upgrade phone to Galaxy Note II
    ngssec Regular Visitor

I appreciate your response.  However, if I leave Sprint, I'm not coming back.

• 8. Re: Upgrade phone to Galaxy Note II
    Julian4G Regular Visitor

Well, if you figure out a way to get a Sprint upgrade for the Galaxy Note II for a good deal, do post how you did it. 

Amazon previously had upgrades for the Note II for $249.99, but they've been at $279.99 for over a week.  Over at Radio Shack, you can get it for $279.99 and they'll give you a $10 coupon for a future purchase for each $50 you spend, so I guess you could get 5 coupons for $10 each.  You can only spend one at a time on any purchase over $10, so they are a bit of a hassle, not like getting $50 back in your pocket.

Consider the monthly expenses going with another carrier that offers the Note II right now.  Maybe T-Mobile wouldn't be too bad, but you're going to pay more for the phone, even as a new account.  You won't find this phone with the cheaper second tier prepaid carriers.  The best you'll do there is probably a Galaxy S II.

That's the problem with getting the newest technology, it's hard to get a good deal on it.

If I find a better deal out there for an upgrade, I'll post back here and let you know.

Oh yeah, and Amazon seems to have the Note II back in stock, at least for now...

• 9. Re: Upgrade phone to Galaxy Note II
    ngssec Regular Visitor

Yes, you are correct in the new technology stuff.  I watched the 121212 concert last night and it looked like the people manning the phones were using Note II......

Thanks for your suggestions, and I will post any deals that I find!

• 10. Re: Upgrade phone to Galaxy Note II
    ngssec Regular Visitor

Yes, you are correct in the new technology stuff.  I watched the 121212 concert last night and it looked like the people manning the phones were using Note II......

Thanks for your suggestions, and I will post any deals that I find!

• 11. Re: Upgrade phone to Galaxy Note II
    ngssec Regular Visitor

Yes, I believe you are right in terms of new technology....I watched the 121212 concert last night and noticed that the people manning the phones were using Notes! 

I appreciate all of your advice, and I will post when I find a good deal!

• 12. Re: Upgrade phone to Galaxy Note II
    only1ruth.e Social Care

ngssec

I've sent you a private message. Please review.

Ruth E

Social Care Team

• 13. Re: Upgrade phone to Galaxy Note II
    NickTCU Regular Visitor

I feel your pain, I have been eligible for an upgrade for a month or so myself and have considered it but what is almost as frustrating as seeing the way Sprint charges the highest price to long time/loyal customers is finding out that they are also rewarding us for signing a new 2 yr agreement with a new $36 charge for renewing our contract and remaining customers! This is their way to "entice" loyal sprint customers to stay and sign new contracts? I was wanting to renew my agreement and upgrade to the Note II as well but when I look online and see drastically lower prices offered to new customers for the same phone we have to pay $299 for, and then am surprised with a new $36 "upgrade" fee that we find is basically a price increase to stay with Sprint that we now have the pleasure of paying every two years when we upgrade phones and renew contract, then all it makes me want to do is shop for another carrier...

• 14. Re: Upgrade phone to Galaxy Note II
    NickTCU Regular Visitor

...and to be honest, I would probably actually eat the $300 if they were only willing to refund or credit my bill for the $36 upgrade fee recently implemented, but evidently this is too much to ask regardless of how many years one has been a customer and even though it would earn them 2 more years of business and the approximate $350 purchase of new equipment (after tax). I mean, after tax and with the upgrade fee, it is getting closer to $400 for the note II even with a new 2 yr agreement... and that is approaching outrageous.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points