This discussion is archived
14 Replies Latest reply: Oct 9, 2013 5:38 AM by GreggAlan RSS

Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE not able to connect to computer???

BartmanLACA Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

Does anyone know why my Photon Q 4G LTE is failing to connect to my computer in Mass Storage or even MTP mode???? I plug it in and it goes into Charge Only mode, but if I try to change it to either Mass Storage or Media Device (MTP) mode it won't work. It just sits there and when I change screens and go back to the the mode change screen its back to Charge Only again! I want to transfer images and some music to the device but it will not let me do so. My computer has Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit version installed with all the latest updates (including optional ones) I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Motorola Device Manager software multiple times but all it does it CHARGE ONLY! This is the 2nd significant issue with a Sprint phone and I'm starting to regret moving from my old Samsung Epic 4G slider to this phone. Is there ANY solution to this issue? It's very disappointing to spend the money I did to upgrade to this device and have it not perform like it should and keep running into these issues. Please Help!

• 1. Re: Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE not able to connect to computer???
    sprint9149 Silver Expert

Not a fix for your issue, but for now if you want I could send you Wifi File Explorer so you can transfer files over wifi -- until you get the issue figure out.

• 2. Re: Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE not able to connect to computer???
    halcyoncmdr123 Sprint Employee

I've never seen this and can't reproduce it on another Photon Q here in the store.

I would double check that you have the developer mode options disabled in the device settings, these can potentially cause weird connectivity issues since they are meant for software development, not every day use. The retail stores need to asjust these settings when transferring contacts from an old phone, so it may be that they forgot to turn the settings off, or possibly missed one of them when turning them off.

The Motorola software is not required for a simple USB data transfer, almost every android device uses the built in USB Mass Storage windows drivers, or the standard MTP protocol drivers (Phones running Ice Cream Sandwich+), including the Photon Q.

• 3. Re: Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE not able to connect to computer???

All I know is, I could connect the phone to the computer I think once or twice, after that, I plug it in and it starts charging immediately, which is fine. I want it to charge, but my system doesn't see the phone connected as a hard drive or other type of device. I thought uninstalling the software and reinstalling it might set it up to redetect it but it doesn't work. As for transfering data via wifi, I am using a destop computer, no WiFi connection only ethernet so I don't have that option. It's very frustrating why it won't let me trigger the option so the computer will see it as a connected device. Also this is something else I found that I don't know if it is typical or usual, but if I shut the phone off. Hit the power button and shut it completely off, then connect it to the MicroUSB cable the phone starts up, it boots and goes into it's standby mode. Is this normal? I have never owned a motorola device before and I'm seriously regretting getting this, but I wanted the LTE speed, and I really REALLY prefer a slider phone as I have too much difficulty trying to use the touch screen to type/text or on the web. So this was my only choice unless I drop Sprint altogether and go with another provider. What am I going to do????????

Thanks in advance for helping or any advice you can offer. 

• 4. Re: Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE not able to connect to computer???

Finally figured it out, and it was based on halcyoncmdr123's suggestion in part, the USB debugging was no enabled but I did enable it, and restarted the phone, then disabled it and once I did that connecting via MTP or Mass Storage finally triggered the PC to see the phone as a media device allowing me to transfer files directly from the computer to the phone! Not exactly sure why it worked but that's my solution. At least for now, I want to thank halcyoncmdr123 for making the suggestion!

• 5. Re: Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE not able to connect to computer???
    DeepDiveFL Newbie

BartmanLACA:

I was having the EXACT issue. If I tried to change the USB modem while connected, it would just switch back to charging and if I switched the mode to "Media Device" and then connected to a laptop, it would also just change back to charging.

I followed your advice and turned on the USB debugging, rebooted, shut it off, and then connected it and now it works again - great suggestion!

• 6. Re: Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE not able to connect to computer???
    SKINSMAN61 Regular Visitor

My Motorola Photon Q is doing exactly the same thing on two different computers one   Crosshair V formula Z  win 7 64 bit with 16 gigs memory and  Asus M4N82 Deluxe with 4 gig ram and win 7 32 bit same thing on both computers  worked once now will not connect again.

I have done the usb debugging and all sorts of other stuff  like motorola helper   mobility  Moto cast  all of it  uninstalled reinstalled   over and over restart  turn off usb debugging   all over and over again still  it says error loading drivers and still no go

[IMG]http://i40.tinypic.com/5cdiwz.jpg[/IMG]

• 7. Re: Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE not able to connect to computer???
    redted95 Newbie

Had this exact issue.

Debug mode worked.

Thanks, all.

• 8. Re: Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE not able to connect to computer???
    MR_ABAP Newbie

THought I was heading to the Sprint Store until I found this.  Thanks!

• 9. Re: Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE not able to connect to computer???
    J0nny5Alive Newbie

Yup, this worked for me too.  Odd issue, great fix!  I've noticed since the 4.1.2 update my screen doesn't freak out mid-use either.

• 10. Re: Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE not able to connect to computer???
    MR_ABAP Newbie

Worked for me, but guess what!!!  Now it won't charge on USB!!!

• 11. Re: Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE not able to connect to computer???
    Syrinxies007 Newbie

Solution Number 2:

Once the phone asks you what you want to do when the USB connection is made for the first time, it pretty much doesn't ask you again as far as I've seen in my own experience. I completely forgot I simply chose to do nothing and hit the back button when I plugged it in through USB for the first time, because I just wanted it to install the driver on Windows 7. (This doesn't seem to install the device driver on Windows 8 unless you choose one of the options as I've just figured out..)

It normally gives these three options:

1) Charge Only - Only charging the phone.

2) Media Device (MTP) - Transfer files to Widows, or using Android File Transfer on MAC (see www.android.com/filetransfer)

3) Camera (PTP) - Lets you transfer photos using camera software, and also transfer any files on computers that don't support MTP.

So what you will have to do is manually select what you want it do while the USB is plugged in. (It may default whatever option you choose once you have selected what you would like it to do in this step.)

Step One:

Go to Settings on the phone via the Quick Screen (swipe the screen to the right to bring up the screen to the left of home) or in the Apps Menu.(central button on home screen).

Step Two:

Under Device go to the Storage Menu

Step Three:

Press the Option Button over to the right of the Storage Icon/Back Button. (This should be the famous three vertical dots we're all used to seeing by now.)

Step Four:

Press the option that pops up that says USB computer connection. (Only option on my phone.)

Step Five:

You will see the three options previously described above. Choose whatever options you want.

1) Charge Only - Only charging the phone.

2) Media Device (MTP) - Transfer files to Widows, or using Android File Transfer on MAC (see www.android.com/filetransfer)

3) Camera (PTP) - Lets you transfer photos using camera software, and also transfer any files on computers that don't support MTP.

Once you choose whatever option you feel like going with, it will do what you need it to do. (You will also notice if the device hasn't installed yet that your computer should detect it now on Windows 8 OS.)

This should help if you've never messed with the Developer Options screen and it shows that your Developer Options are Off.

• 12. Re: Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE not able to connect to computer???
    k_j_s Newbie

Try a different USB cable.  My generic cable from a wall charger that I bought as an extra does NOT transfer data.  When I use the original Motorola USB cable, which also has a wall charger that came with it, that cable DOES connect the phone to my computer.  I had experienced the same exact issues as you, and when I changed cables the problem was solved.  I just wish I had exchanged cables two days ago!

• 13. Re: Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE not able to connect to computer???
    STEPHKNOX Newbie

Same issue for me....obviously something wrong.  Did exactly what suggested by turning on USB debugging, powering down, then turning it back on and turning debugging off....IT WORKED!  Thank you for the suggestion! 

Had issue with this phone also with timezone...would not adjust time from EST to CST.   Read posts on this issue but not able to fix.  Does anyone know of a fix for this problem?

Thank you!

• 14. Re: Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE not able to connect to computer???
    GreggAlan Regular Visitor

I wonder what's different about the cable that comes with the phone? Isn't it an ordinary straight through USB A to Micro USB cable?

I think what triggered mine into getting stuck on charge only was I had it connected to a cable that came with an Energizer USB device charger. when I'd use that cable to connect my Epic 4G to the PC, it'd work, pop up the connection type menu like normal. Select mass storage and it'd work. But it'd do the same when using that cable to connect to the Energizer charger.

Using the Energizer cable also disabled Gmail and the Market (gawd I *hate* the Play Store name) from being able to contact their servers, along with all data other than text messages. Not a problem with that cable on the Epic. Toggling USB debugging and rebooting made no change as long as it was connected with the Energizer charger's cable.

I also tried using some other USB charger with the Epic and that one would somehow shut off the digitizer on the touch screen.

Look like I'd best take real good care of the cable that came with the Photon Q!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points