10 Replies Latest reply: Aug 14, 2013 5:38 PM by MMZ1 RSS

I'm receiving duplicate text messages for weeks now, i need a solution.

edvaz6 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

I've had my Samsung Galaxy S3 SPh-L710 Stock 4.1.1 for a couple weeks now, and i've texted people with all type of carriers.. no matter what i still get duplicate messages from them. I called customer service, i was lead to believe it would be fixed but im still dealing with this problem. I tried updating my PRL, Profile.. everything.. nothing works. I need help.

• 1. Re: I'm receiving duplicate text messages for weeks now, i need a solution.
    Ctrl_Alt_Del Regular Visitor

Do you have Google Voice with your Sprint account?  If so, this is an easy fix.  I will wait for you answer to give the solution before I go any further.

If you do not have Google Voice, I do not have an answer even though I do have a Galaxy S3.

• 2. Re: I'm receiving duplicate text messages for weeks now, i need a solution.
    edvaz6 Newbie

Unfortunately I don't.. and I say "unfortuntely" because I really want to this problem resolved. However, I have not gotten as many dupicate text messages as I used to. I'm thinking it could have been connectivity issues. Also, I called customer service and I was told that a tower around my area wasn't running at its peak. Nonetheless,I appreciate the reply Ctrl_Alt_Del.

If your method is a simple & quick fix be sure to post it here, I'm sure others will appreciate the help.

• 3. Re: I'm receiving duplicate text messages for weeks now, i need a solution.
    fireguy_6364 Master

more often than not its due to the network and or the relay. post your zip code and the closest cross streets to where you see the problem the most and one of the techs will look into the surrounding towers for possible issues..calling CS will only give you a headache lol.

• 4. Re: I'm receiving duplicate text messages for weeks now, i need a solution.
    Ctrl_Alt_Del Regular Visitor

Sure edvaz6! 

If you have Google Voice integrated into your Sprint number, the way to stop receiving duplicate text messages is to first go to http://google.com/voice then log in with your Google account.

Secondly, go to the Settings (the little gear icon in the top right) & select Settings.  By default, the open tab should be on Phone.  Look for "Sprint Mobile Phone" section (make sure this option is checked!) & UN-check both of those boxes below it.  It will auto-save so there's nothing to press afterwards.  If you leave the box checked that says to receive text messages on this phone, you'll receive duplicate text messages.  One will come through Google Voice & the other one will be sent to your phones native messaging app, hence double messages.  This you don't want.

And I know I've read about some people complaining of receiving a text message that says they have a new voicemail waiting, the second checkbox takes care of that headache as well.

Then log out, you're done with that part.  On your phone, go to Menu, Settings, scroll to the bottom, System Update.  Update your profile.  Let it update.

You're now finished.  There should be no more duplicate text messages if you have Google Voice integrated with your Sprint number.

• 5. Re: I'm receiving duplicate text messages for weeks now, i need a solution.
    Maybs5 Newbie

Hello Ctrl Alt Del,

Yours is the best advise I've found yet on the repeating texts received problem on the Galaxy s3.  However, I cannot find "Sprint Mobile Phone"  under my "settings".  Is it the "settings" you get after you've pressed HOME Key, then the MENU key?    I don't know which two buttons to uncheck.  Could you please give more detailed instructions.

Very much appreciate it.

• 6. Re: I'm receiving duplicate text messages for weeks now, i need a solution.
    Maybs5 Newbie

Hello Ctrl Alt Del,

Yours is the best advise I've found yet on the repeating texts received problem on the Galaxy s3.  However, I cannot find "Sprint Mobile Phone"  under my "settings".  Is it the "settings" you get after you've pressed HOME Key, then the MENU key?    I don't know which two buttons to uncheck.  Could you please give more detailed instructions.

Very much appreciate it.

• 7. Re: I'm receiving duplicate text messages for weeks now, i need a solution.
    Maybs5 Newbie

Hello Ctrl Alt Del,

Very much appreciate it.

• 8. Re: I'm receiving duplicate text messages for weeks now, i need a solution.
    Maybs5 Newbie

Hello Ctrl Alt Del,

Very much appreciate it.

• 9. Re: I'm receiving duplicate text messages for weeks now, i need a solution.
    halldl02 Expert

Maysbs5,

It sounds like you are asking where to make these setting changes on the phone.  Ctrl_Alt_Del was giving instructions for setting changes on Google Voice.

• 10. Re: I'm receiving duplicate text messages for weeks now, i need a solution.
    MMZ1 Newbie

Maybs5 wrote:

Hello Ctrl Alt Del,

Very much appreciate it.

Ctrl Alt Del said "If you have Google Voice integrated into your Sprint number, the way to stop receiving duplicate text messages is to first go to http://google.com/voice then log in with your Google account."

Then go to SETTINGS (the COG WHEEL on the right) and then you'll see something like this.

http://snag.gy/B1ZnZ.jpg

Hope this helps

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points