This discussion is archived
8 Replies Latest reply: Jan 9, 2013 12:18 PM by fireguy_6364 RSS

Unable to receive picture messages (mms) from iPhone 4.

spartansc Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

Topic says it all, my mom is unable to send me a mms message. We are both on sprint, same tower at most times, etc. I receive the mms message and a download button appears. I hit it, my 3g comes on and it looks like its downloading, then a few seconds (depending on file size) says "Message Not Downloaded"

I am running CM7 nightly from sept 30th 2012, and handcent messaging app -- latest version from market.

Flashed to a sense ROM and still had same issue from her iphone 4.

This started happening recently (within last few weeks), she was able to send me mms before just fine.

• 1. Re: Unable to receive picture messages (mms) from iPhone 4.
    fireguy_6364 Master

more than likely its network related. drop your zip code and the closest cross streets so one of the techs can look at the towers around you. if you travel across town does the problem still happen? random test. both of you travel across town and try to link up onto another tower..then try again while standing right next to each other. another test to show its not phone related is to send yourself a mms..if you receive it then its probably not network related..if it still doesnt work then you probably know the answer.

NO PHYSICAL ADDRESS THOUGH UNLESS ITS OF A CLOSE BY BUSINESS. THEN JUST POINT OUT WHICH DIRECTION YOU LIVE FROM SAID BUSINESS ADDY.

• 2. Re: Unable to receive picture messages (mms) from iPhone 4.

Well it seems to happen almost everywhere I go. @ different counties, counltess cities and zip codes.

The place I am currently is zip code 44145. Nearest major intersection is Crocker Rd, and Clemens Rd. I am located east of that intersection.

Another problem location is zip code 44001. Intersection of oak point road and cooper foster park road. I am located south of that intersection.

ANother location is zip code 44074. Intersection of vermilion road and becker road. I am located west of that location

Or Vermilion road and route 20. I am located north of that location.

Its kind of not a big place. Lots of farm land.

ANd I sent a few MMS to myself, and was able to download 1. But not any after that.

Where I currently am, my signal quality is sorta of bad indoors. it goes between 3g and 1x throughout the day, and its usually -90 to -100 dBm.

• 3. Re: Unable to receive picture messages (mms) from iPhone 4.
    fireguy_6364 Master

not much more than -100dBm will pretty much render your phone a paper weight..cant remember the exacts but if im remembering right i THINK it was around -113dBm. one other question though..it DOES work in some locations just fine but not in others or is everywhere you go? and have you noticed how many bars you usually have when this is happening? call quality when this is happening? i havent seen alot of complaints coming from OH about reception..then again i havent been on much for a couple weeks so i might have missed a bit. do you by chance know if there are any upgrades going on around you?

another place to have your location checked for possible network issues would be here

http://community.sprint.com/baw/community/buzzaboutwireless/network-and-coverage?view=discussions&start=0

actually i just spotted a couple threads in there im thinking are in your general area. one is for issues in the 44067 area.

if its bad enough where youre at to drop to 1x then you have some serious issues out there with a tower(s). pic texts and group texts send as sms through your data side of things..same with receiving them..

• 4. Re: Unable to receive picture messages (mms) from iPhone 4.

When I left my work, I noticed on the highway that I was able to receive picture messages from myself just fine. Using stock app and handcent.

Also at a friends house in zip code 44001, I am able to send to myself mms, but my brothers iphone mms wont download still. I have -80dBm and better here. SO its not that.

As for my brothers iPhone. I still can not download his mms. Just shows I have a mms, but when i hit download, it says unable to download still.

I cleared cache in cachemate, rebooted into recovery and wiped cache and dalvik cache. I am on the latest radio, and on 08.08 I had same issue.

Not sure where that zip code is.

And i figured that after a certain point in dBm that stuff would just stop working. Too bad they wont allow mms over wifi/4G. Its really stupid to us 3g/1x.

Thanks for helping. I might end up calling Sprint. Although I cant be the only one who cant receieve mms from iPhone users.

• 5. Re: Unable to receive picture messages (mms) from iPhone 4.

I think i found something out. I noticed that my moms and brothers phone default to a SLIDESHOW when they add a picture to a text to make it an mms.

For some reason my phone can not handle that. I am flashing to MikG to test if it still happens on Sense.

I also used a GS3 on t-mobile and noticed if i added any letters to the MMS then it converts to slideshow and I cant receive that. But can receive an MMS that is just the picture, no words or typing in it.

UGH.

• 6. Re: Unable to receive picture messages (mms) from iPhone 4.
    fireguy_6364 Master

actually go into the settings in the texting app and see what the max allowed pic size or something along those lines..im running handcent and for the life of me cant remember where those options are or what they were called lol. im wondering if the pic size youre receiving is to large to download...your phone is automatically downsizing the pic youre sending to yourself anyways so it shouldnt have any problems receiving those ones.

• 7. Re: Unable to receive picture messages (mms) from iPhone 4.

I have it set to 5M (EVO ONLY). So the mms size isnt an issue.

I had the someone else with an iphone 4 send me an mms while i had CM7 running. Couldnt get it. Flashed to a sense based ROM MikG 3.11, and was able to receive his, and my brothers just fine.

Its an issue with CM7 (or possibly all AOSP ROMs), I will test other AOSP ROMs tonight and see what I can find.

• 8. Re: Unable to receive picture messages (mms) from iPhone 4.
    fireguy_6364 Master

i didnt even think to ask if you were rooted or not lol...usually most are posting about non rooted phone issues.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points