8 Replies Latest reply: Feb 18, 2014 9:13 AM by GRINCHKIN22 RSS

WiFi Issues - Need to restart phone when there is a "stall" connecting to an access point

cwittenb Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

I've had a problem lately where my Optimus G (LS970) "stalls" when trying to connect to a previously known wireless access point.  When it stalls it says "Connecting" to that access point but never times out, and it won't let me turn WiFi off and then on again to hopefully fix the problem.  When I try to turn off WiFi I've used both the quick action from the Notification tray as well as the settings menu, and even inside the WiFi setting itself, and while the UI indicates that it received the tap (it shows the slider moved, but with a dot in the middle of the circle) it doesn't actually do anything, and when the screen refreshes (e.g., because I've scrolled or moved away and then back) it shows the slider moved back to On.  Going out of range of the access point makes no difference -- I've been miles away and it is still trying to connect to the same access point.  I'm getting VERY tired of restarting my phone every day or two to fix this stall issue, when a simple stopping and then restarting the WiFi radio should work (and has worked on other phones, laptops, etc. when I've had similar problems in the past).  Googling around it I don't see other complaints of this.  Anybody had this issue, or any thoughts of what to do?  I'm getting close to trying to get a warrenty replacement, but if this is a known bug then that would be dumb...

• 1. Re: WiFi Issues - Need to restart phone when there is a "stall" connecting to an access point
    jjxon Newbie

I've noticed this behavior as well when I leave WiFi on. Upon returning home, WiFi either reconnects or refuses to toggle off/on until I restart the phone.

While my solution to the problem isn't a permanent fix, I've found that unchecking Google's location service (System Settings>Location services>Google's location service) has significantly decreased my need to restart my phone to get it to reinitialize WiFi and reconnect to wireless networks.

• 2. Re: WiFi Issues - Need to restart phone when there is a "stall" connecting to an access point
    Billish Valued Member

I just started having a very similar issue, and only after getting the recent software update some weeks ago (LS970ZV9).  Definitely never happened before that update...or at least, I never noticed it.

Specifically, when I move out of range of one WiFi network and then into the range of a new one after some time (i.e., driving from home to work), my LG Optimus G is on continuous "Search" for WiFi networks in range, but isn't finding any of the local ones...it shows itself as continuing to try and connect to the one I left previously (in this example, the one at home).

Turning WiFi on and off doesn't help.  Pressing the "Search" networks button to try and refresh the search doesn't help either. Only rebooting the phone seems to fix this.

Ugh....I hope this isn't a bug in the new software update.

R,

Bill

• 3. Re: WiFi Issues - Need to restart phone when there is a "stall" connecting to an access point
    jjxon Newbie

I can confirm that this definitely happened to me with LS970ZV8 (the version prior to the most recent OTA update), and still occurs with LS970ZV9 when I have either the Network Optimizer or Google location service enabled. The impression that I get is that anything that makes the WiFi modem constantly scan or connect/disconnect hits a bug eventually and crashes the WiFi driver until the phone is restarted.

• 4. Re: WiFi Issues - Need to restart phone when there is a "stall" connecting to an access point
    Larryt1971 Expert

Billish wrote:

I just started having a very similar issue, and only after getting the recent software update some weeks ago (LS970ZV9).  Definitely never happened before that update...or at least, I never noticed it.

Specifically, when I move out of range of one WiFi network and then into the range of a new one after some time (i.e., driving from home to work), my LG Optimus G is on continuous "Search" for WiFi networks in range, but isn't finding any of the local ones...it shows itself as continuing to try and connect to the one I left previously (in this example, the one at home).

Turning WiFi on and off doesn't help.  Pressing the "Search" networks button to try and refresh the search doesn't help either. Only rebooting the phone seems to fix this.

Ugh....I hope this isn't a bug in the new software update.

R,

Bill

I had the exact same thing happen just last night and once last week as well.  I had to restart the phone to get wifi to connect to my access point.  Like yours it kept trying to connect to the one I left previously and turning on and off wifi DOES NOT fix it.  Sprint are you listening to this??

• 5. Re: WiFi Issues - Need to restart phone when there is a "stall" connecting to an access point
    Larryt1971 Expert

cwittenb wrote:

When I try to turn off WiFi I've used both the quick action from the Notification tray as well as the settings menu, and even inside the WiFi setting itself, and while the UI indicates that it received the tap (it shows the slider moved, but with a dot in the middle of the circle) it doesn't actually do anything, and when the screen refreshes (e.g., because I've scrolled or moved away and then back) it shows the slider moved back to On. 

Yep same exact situation here.  I think we have a new firmware bug with the latest version (V9).

• 6. Re: WiFi Issues - Need to restart phone when there is a "stall" connecting to an access point
    GRINCHKIN22 Newbie

Same issue here. I have tried a soft reset and it does not matter. just rebooting the phone and it works fine till I go to a new location. I am on my 3rd G, the first two had other issues, but never this wifi issue. I hate to do a hard reset because it is such a pain but I think I am going to try it soon unless Sprint/LG releases a fix.

• 7. Re: WiFi Issues - Need to restart phone when there is a "stall" connecting to an access point
    SprintCare Social Care

GRINCHKIN22,

I hear your reservations about doing a hard reset on your phone. Are you connecting to private Wi-Fi’s and having this connectivity issue or public Wi-Fi’s? Please let me know.

*Liz
    Sprint Social Care

• 8. Re: WiFi Issues - Need to restart phone when there is a "stall" connecting to an access point
    GRINCHKIN22 Newbie

Private and public, it really does not seem to matter. Most of the time it happens when I move from one SSID to another. The phone keeps the connection to the first SSID and will not even look for any others. Here is one example, I will be connected fine to mine at my home, but when I leave and go to my parents house, I will look at the wifi and still show a connection to my home. I do a reboot in the new zone, and everything is fine. The phone connects to the wifi just fine and their are no issues, until I move to another SSID, then it wash rinse and repeat.  If I try to turn the wifi off and then on, it will get stuck on the screen turning wifi off and never get fully turned off so I can not trun it back on.

I have looked to see if there is a way to kill the wifi service from in the process manager, but have not been able to find it.  Currently, I have Android 4.1.2 and the software version is LS970ZVC. The build is JZ054K.

I will be happy to try a patch if you have one available.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points