1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply: Jan 28, 2013 2:53 PM by fireguy_6364 RSS

Samsung Galaxy S III Camera Shutter Sound

shonsheka1 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

What can be done to change this crazy policy that it seems that only SPRINT asked for???   When I'm taking a picture I think I have the right to shut the sound off and keep if it if I want too!!! I have had this service for more than 9yrs now and it seems that SPRINT could care less about what their CUSTOMERS THINK AND WANT!!! WE SHOULD NOT HAVE TO DOWN LOAD A CAMERA APP JUST TO BE ABLE TO USE THAT TO TURN THE SOUND OFF!!!! SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE AND NOW!!!

• 1. Re: Samsung Galaxy S III Camera Shutter Sound
    sprint9149 Silver Expert

There is a gent that made a way to add a camera shutter sound toggle with just a few simple clicks. I'm try to dig it up and give you the simple instructions.  Screenshot_2012-12-22-14-24-43.png

• 2. Re: Samsung Galaxy S III Camera Shutter Sound
    B_A_Reese Newbie

I was able to make the option available on a Galaxy S3, but only after rooting the device and changing one of the config files. There's a article about where to find it and change it - on the XDA forums, I believe. If you want to go that route let me know and I'll dig out the article.

• 3. Re: Samsung Galaxy S III Camera Shutter Sound
    Capt.Random Social Care

shonsheka1,

Introduced by New York representative Peter King, it is called the Camera Phone Predator Alert Act and it looks to protect children by making all cell phone cameras audible when taking pictures. This policy is another example of Sprint’s ongoing commitment to privacy when it comes to mobile device usage. We will not be the only service provider that will make this change. This does not affect any 3rd party camera apps.

Victor G.

Social Media Care.

• 4. Re: Samsung Galaxy S III Camera Shutter Sound
    AdrianAbonce Regular Visitor

That is ridiculous!

That bill is not mandatory. So far, none of the other carriers and camera manufacturers have implemented it.

Why is Sprint commited to the privacy of the general public and not their users?

What about introducing an 'Act' to protect the sleep of the children when their parents want to take some nice pictures.

(I mean, that shutter sound is LOUD! It can wake up a drunken sailor.)

EDITED:

The bill never passed.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/111/hr414

So, I want a software update (and an apology) from Sprint.

Message was edited by: AdrianAbonce - Updated

• 5. Re: Samsung Galaxy S III Camera Shutter Sound
    halcyoncmdr123 Sprint Employee

So let me get this straight:

You want Sprint to apologize to you for taking a proactive approach (unlike most companies with privacy issues, Facebook is a prime example of poor privacy), when legislation was in process, to protect the privacy of minors from voyeur sexual predators? For not also blocking your ability to install 3rd party applications to add this feature or alternate camera applications to utilize? For not attempting to prevent your from rooting your device and adjusting a config file to enable this feature?

You probably aren't going to get an official apology for Sprint taking a proactive approach to a privacy issue that people brought up publically even before the legislation started being debated in multiple state legislatures and on the national level. There were posts in the Community here (And Buzz About Wireless before it was merged into Sprint.com a few years ago) about privacy concerns with the shutter sound being silenced for the exact reasons stated above.

If not being able to silence the shutter sound out of the box is a breaking point for you to choose a different carrier, I personally think you should rethink your priorities for how you choose a mobile phone carrier. Camera shutter sound wouldn't even be on my list of concerns if I were considering which company to go with. I can't possibly fathom why people are so angry about a shutter sound that can easily be bypassed instead with 3rd party applications or modifications. Personally, I think it is the beauty of Android that you can even do such a thing in the first place and customize your phone the way you want (unlike iOS, Blackberry and Windows Phone), not just the way the manufacturer allows you to.

• 6. Re: Samsung Galaxy S III Camera Shutter Sound
    sprint9149 Silver Expert

Also a 1 click way to do it without rooting too. I'll dig it up as well for the non-rooters

• 7. Re: Samsung Galaxy S III Camera Shutter Sound

Yes Hacyoncmdr123, I would like an apology. Here is why:

Because that "proactive approach" was taken BEFORE the legislation was passed. And even now that the bill is dead, Sprint is the only carrier that kept that practice.

Let's face it, if a sexual predator wants to take a picture in silence it would use any of the other methods available. So why I have to have the aggravation for his/her actions? Why don't just ban all the cameras on the phones? It makes not sense, and THAT'S WHY the bill went dead.

And as you say there are posts everywhere about that privacy issue, but there ara elso tons of post by users that aren't happy about the shutter sound. The Note 2 came with the option to silence the shutter (3 years after that bill went dead)  and Sprint decided to block it. Why?

Finally, it's not just the shutter issue what makes a person choose a carrier or another, but it adds to the list.

And I agree completely with your words: "it's the beauty of Android that you can customize your phone the way YOU WANT"... but in this case, Sprint is NOT letting me do it.

• 8. Re: Samsung Galaxy S III Camera Shutter Sound
    Fdottt Newbie

Yea that is dumb for whoever it was to disable being able to disable the shutter sound on your phone. I came from the mytouch 4g on tmobile which had this option and a more advanced phone like the Galaxy S3 to be missing this is silly. Even the logic behind the bill is silly

• 9. Re: Samsung Galaxy S III Camera Shutter Sound
    halcyoncmdr123 Sprint Employee

AdrianAbonce wrote:

And I agree completely with your words: "it's the beauty of Android that you can customize your phone the way YOU WANT"... but in this case, Sprint is NOT letting me do it.

Sprint is not stopping you from installing any of the 3rd party camera application. Sprint does not lock down our phone bootloaders (unless the manufacturer chooses to do it on their own accord, Sprint does not require it like some other carriers) to prevent isntalling custom ROMs. In fact, Sprint will even still work on phones that have been determined to be rooted. Sprint will not support phones with custom ROMs/software, but simply rooting your stock phone does not void your Sprint service and repair options.

There are alternate camera apps. There is a one-click "fix" to add this back that has been posted previously in this thread by another customer I believe. You can also root your device and modify the system configuration file to add this. Sprint does not stop you from doing any of these things. The stock application as it comes fro mthe box does not allow this capability, that is the ONLY limitation, there are several other methods of accomplishing the same task with a silent shutter.

• 10. Re: Samsung Galaxy S III Camera Shutter Sound

Ok halcyioncmdr123, I don't know why you are still arguing about this issue.

I think you don't get my point completely, so I'm going to explain my frustration in other words. Let's use cars as an example:

What if I want to buy a Corolla, and I see in Toyota's website that the Corolla comes with a trunk with 12.3 cubic feet of space... I like that.

But when I go to the cars dealer, I find out that the owner of the dealer decided to shut close the trunks in all Corollas, because somebody told him that "people could carry dead prostitutes and cocaine in those trunks". So, he being "proactive" took that measure so none of his customer could do any of those illegal practices.

So, when I complain about wanting my Corolla with the original specifications, there comes a guy (you) who tells me that "I should be happy that at least the car dealer is giving me the opportunity to go to a mechanic and get the trunk open, or get some extra containers and attaching them on top of the car".

NO. that's not what I want. I want a Corolla with the trunk that I can open. The way they originally came out of the factory plant.

Is this example better for you?

• 11. Re: Samsung Galaxy S III Camera Shutter Sound
    fireguy_6364 Master

lets make it easier for YOU to understand..android phones are CONSTANTLY changing..unlike youre trunk space. what happens when a new OS comes out to these phones? do things change? yup..does your trunk space change? nope..what about anything else in your dream car there? nope..nothing changes..which is why so many people complain when a new OS comes out..things that they were used to are now either different or are no longer available. will a fix come out to change the camera shutter sound? possibly..no one really knows until it actually comes out. comparing a constantly changing phone to a car is like comparing a apple to a sheet of plywood..at what point are they even REMOTELY alike?

as for youre expected apology? good luck with that one lol.

is it seriously that freaking hard to download that one app to get your camera silent again until they kick out a fix for it? or are you one of those people that will continue to complain and pull their hair out no matter what answer you get? my money is on the second one there

• 12. Re: Samsung Galaxy S III Camera Shutter Sound
    halldl02 Expert

Here is a link to the thread where you can regain the option to silence your phone's camera without rooting your phone.  Go to page 3, if you doesn't take you staright there.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/93128?start=30&tstart=30

• 13. Re: Samsung Galaxy S III Camera Shutter Sound

fireguy_6364 wrote:

lets make it easier for YOU to understand..android phones are CONSTANTLY changing.

Don't get me wrong Fireguy, I DO understand technology. I'm just setting the example so Halcyon can get my point.

unlike youre trunk space. what happens when a new OS comes out to these phones? do things change? yup..does your trunk space change? nope..

The original OS on the Note 2 had the option to silence the shutter... Sprint took that option off.

what about anything else in your dream car there? nope..nothing changes..which is why so many people complain when a new OS comes out

THAT is my point, why change the OS on the phone, when NONE of the users want that option? (If you go through all the others disscussions about the shutter sound on the phones, you'll see the discontent)

as for youre expected apology? good luck with that one lol.

Ok, at least give me a software update to fix that issue (a Sprint software update)

is it seriously that freaking hard to download that one app to get your camera silent again until they kick out a fix for it?

YES! it's hard, as you know you have to flash tha patch through Odin (try to explain that to an average user) And you know that Sprint is NOT going to release a fix for it soon.

or are you one of those people that will continue to complain and pull their hair out no matter what answer you get?

I should be able to complain, and be unhappy when I don't get what I am paying for... I'm not a comformist.

• 14. Re: Samsung Galaxy S III Camera Shutter Sound
    fireguy_6364 Master

you have to remember that one of the top guys within these forums with the most useful answers is the one you were trying to insult lol.

no one has fully said if it was sprints decission or sammys..if im remembering right the camera silence option is still on the LTEVO and the photon Q...and theyre just as new as this phone..

sprint can put in their 2 cents on some of the OS updates..but its fully on android themselves when it comes to these things..they take something out there isnt much anyone can do about it..they get feed back that there was an uproar about losing such and such ability? they might change it with the next OS update..odds are the current phone said person is using wont be getting that next OS update anyways so its kind of a moot point lol...on average each phone will get 2 OS updates..by then its either EOL or getting pretty close to it.

i didnt fully go in and look but someone posted a fix right above your last post..non rooted method...and then there is also that app they keep talking about.

complaining is one thing..but when answers or side fixes/for the time being work arounds are being thrown out and the complaints are STILL coming...it gets a bit rough to continue to read them...even for other posters..try the fix's and if they STILL dont work...then continue the uproar...its not as if you started up this thread and NO ONE responded with any ideas...THAT would be complaint worthy

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points