1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply: Apr 17, 2014 2:39 PM by SprintCare RSS

Hotspot charge w/ Unlimited Data?

gunrjake Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

Why do I have to pay to enable and use the Hotspot feature on my iPhone 4S if I am already paying for Unlimited data?  The Hotspot ability is a hardware feature of the device (like the GPS, the music player, or Siri) so charging to activate and use it seems very odd to me.  I'm already paying for unlimited everything, so why sould it matter if I use the data directly on the device or run it through the device to another?

• 1. Re: Hotspot charge w/ Unlimited Data?
    seeblue1 Bronze Expert

Because that's how almost everyone else does it. And see below.

So what; it's odd.

Because a hotspot allows the user the opportunity to consume more data than a smartphone alone would typically consume.  That is to say, all data cost money.  A person who uses less free data costs Sprint less than a person who consumes more free data.

• 2. Re: Hotspot charge w/ Unlimited Data?
    gunrjake Regular Visitor

The really funny thing is that when I was with my previous provider, with an android based phone I had the ability to datashare and there was no charge.

• 3. Re: Hotspot charge w/ Unlimited Data?
    tomdeaver Sprint Employee

Hello.  For Sprint smart phones, we offer unlimited data.  No other carrier does at this time.  We want our Sprint smart phone customers to use as much data as they want for their phones.  However, to "share" your connection with other device(s) and other people that do not have a Sprint smart phone data plan, there's an additional fee and a cap.

We apologize for the confusion,

Tom Deaver

Social Care ~ Sprint.com Communities

Available ~ Friday, Saturday, Sunday

• 4. Re: Hotspot charge w/ Unlimited Data?
    gunrjake Regular Visitor

Then what about the USB tethering option?  The "other" device is still mine and I'm not allowing access to anyone else, and the amount of data coming through is still limited by the phone.

• 5. Re: Hotspot charge w/ Unlimited Data?
    tomdeaver Sprint Employee

I apologize for the frustration but your computer is still another device regardless of whether or not it belongs to you.  

Tom Deaver

Social Care ~ Sprint.com Communities

Available ~ Friday, Saturday, Sunday

• 6. Re: Hotspot charge w/ Unlimited Data?
    seeblue1 Bronze Expert

AFAIK, tethering, involving a USB connection from smartphone to a PC, isn't even allowed on Sprint.  And your iPhone can't tether anyway. EDIT: Oops I suppose iPhone could, but not on Sprint.

Message was edited by: seeblue1

• 7. Re: Hotspot charge w/ Unlimited Data?
    gunrjake Regular Visitor

So, to put it another way.  I can have as many cookies as I want, as long as I only use the plate you give me and I don't give the cookies to anyone else.

I acknowledge the answer but do not understand it.

Thank you.

• 8. Re: Hotspot charge w/ Unlimited Data?
    TheRoonDog Newbie

In reality, it's just another way for Sprint to make money.  They offer the unlimited data plan for $10 per month, which beats Verizon and AT&T to death.  But... they make up for it in other ways, and this is one of those ways. 

That being said, if you, the customer, are paying for unlimited data over a wireless handset connection, what difference should it be to Sprint which device you're accessing that data on?  If you had 5 or 8 devices or whatever the theoretical limit is connecting through the Personal Hotspot on the iPhone, you might be able to squeeze a tiny bit higher data rate out of the connection, but it isn't likely.  They all have to share the bandwidth of the phone itself over the 3g (or now 4g with the iphone 5) connection.  And as you know, if you've ever tried to browse over a 3g connection, there simply isn't very much bandwidth there to share.

So with all due respect, Tom Deaver's response above is pure unadulterated poppycock.

• 9. Re: Hotspot charge w/ Unlimited Data?
    HUGEHELP3 Newbie

Preach it brother!

• 10. Re: Hotspot charge w/ Unlimited Data?
    CustomersRights Newbie

I was just reading the complaints on sprint, and as I crossed by your reply it's just plain out stupid.

First of all, every customer in sprint have problems with their 3G and LTE we don't get any service. What's the whole point of getting unlimited data if there is no data to retrieve.

Secondly, if sprint asked for our money to pay for the little data we get. Shouldn't the customers of sprint get bigger discounts, instead of new customers getting a bigger discount? We know sprint wants to attract new customers but, seriously? Common sense, serve the customer that was with the company better (we been loyal and payed our bills on time). If you can't do that then treat every customer the same. The whole $100 "bring your number discount" is totally BS. Customers who were with sprint should have the same rights on discount.

I have a lot more to say but, I doubt my little speech here is going make sprint any better.

• 11. Re: Hotspot charge w/ Unlimited Data?
    NYClos Social Care

CustomersRights,

Thanks for your post. The nature of the thread is that unlimited data is offered for cell phone usage. We have built a network to accommodate the strain of unlimited cell phone data usage. To potentially run an unlimited internet connection to a computer, or multiple computers, from your cell phone is technologically unfeasible for a cell network. Our competitors cannot even manage unlimited data on only their phones.

In regards to the $100 port-in offer, this is a promotion that is open to new or current customers that have a phone number that can be brought to Sprint. There is no biased, we appreciate all customer the same. If a new customer comes to Sprint and doesn't have a number to port then they won't be eligible just as a current customer wouldn't.

Thank you,

Carlos

Sprint Social Care Team

• 12. Re: Hotspot charge w/ Unlimited Data?
    OMGxCrackers Newbie

Hey if its so impossible then explain clear?

• 13. Re: Hotspot charge w/ Unlimited Data?
    NYClos Social Care

OMGxCrackers,

I'm not familiar with the plans that Clear offered but it is evident that they are now out of business, purchased by Sprint. We wouldn't want to follow their lead.

Carlos

Sprint Social Care Team

• 14. Re: Hotspot charge w/ Unlimited Data?
    GOLDENPEAK Newbie

Would you please be able to tell me what the cost be to add a hotspot to my iPhone 4s? I too have an unlimited data plan

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...