This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Oct 14, 2007 5:35 PM by IronHelix RSS

Sanyo Katana

Currently Being Moderated

Hey guys I recently ordered a Katana from eBay it and works fine. The only problem is that my phone service is T-mobile and the Katana uses Sprint. What can I do to use the Katana with T-mobile's service? Thanks

• 1. Re: Sanyo Katana
    Valued Member

YOU WOULD NEED YOUR MASTER SUBSIDY LOCK CODE TO BE ABLE TO USE IT WITH ANOTHER CARRIER AND ONLY SPRINT HAS THOSE AND THEY DONT JUST HAND THEM OUT UNFORTUNATELY

• 2. Re: Sanyo Katana

Another question...where do I put the SIM card in a Katana? I took out the battery but it's not under there

• 3. Re: Sanyo Katana
    Valued Member

as far as i know katanas dont work with sim cards . what it may use is an sd card which is like a small memory card. sim cards are for t mobile phones and phones on the iden network you wouldnt be able to put it in your katana

• 4. Re: Sanyo Katana
    TOMAS_ Gold Expert

Sorry, but the communication protocols that T-Mobile and Sprint use are totally different and NOT compatible. The Sprint Sanyo Katana can NOT be used on the T-Mobile network. It would be like trying to run Apple OS X on a Windows computer - just doesn't work.

No matter which codes you get to "unlock" the Katana, it's electronics are not capable of working with the T-Mobile network.

Sorry!

Tom

• 5. Re: Sanyo Katana
    Bronze Expert

sorry but Tom is right, you are SOL.

Sprint phones (like your Katana) use a type of cellular system called CDMA. It also has specific Sprint settings, so while it might be possible to get the thing going w/ Verizon (who also uses CDMA) it would be difficult. You would also need the phone's MSL (Master Subsidy Lock) code.

However Tmobile uses GSM. GSM is 100% incompatible with CDMA, so there is no way the Katana will be able to connect to Tmo.

If you want to buy a phone for Tmobile, you will need either a phone that is branded as Tmobile USA, or an unlocked GSM phone. There are many companies that sell unlocked phones, most of the manufacturers (mot, nokia, etc) will happily sell you one. Expect to pay (new) more than if you bought from the carrier, because it's not subsidized by the carrier. Unlocked phones also come without the usual carrier locks, so you can load any program and/or use any SIM card from any network in it (so if you go to Europe, you can just pop in a European SIM)

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...