9 Replies Latest reply: Feb 1, 2013 3:11 PM by cabbitdude RSS

Iphone 5 need a sim

dustinnjames Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

I bought a used iphone 5, how do i get a SIM card, it says no sim on set up and i went to sprint and the guy said he saw it said no sim so he can't activate it, he said to ask apple but no where do i see you buy the SIM card form apple only from your carrier.

• 1. Re: Iphone 5 need a sim
    Chris_ra Social Care

dustinnjames,

Thanks for the post. Is the message invalid sim, or no sim? Have you confirmed the sim card is in fact missing? We do need to refer you to the Apple store if that is the case.

Although we can test a temporary solution to get the phone to a point where it will activate. You may trying going into your settings>general>Network and turn off all roaming. This includes changing the roaming type to "home only" mode. this may get rid of the error temporarily to get the device activated. If this does work, please let me know and I am happy to assist gteting the phone added to your account and activated.

Thank you,

Chris

• 2. Re: Iphone 5 need a sim

Yes, i did check if there was a SIM card in the iphone 5 and there was not one,  so do i need to go to a apple store and get a SIM card there?

• 3. Re: Iphone 5 need a sim
    halcyoncmdr123 Sprint Employee

Service and Repair Sprint stores usually have SIM cards to exchange/replace. Since they are not needed very often however, the store may not have any on hand, it may need to be ordered. I would recommend calling the store ahead of time and talking to one of the technicians to see if they have any in stock.

I also believe that the International Department through Custoemr Service can send out replacement SIM cards, I do not know if it is the same for the iPhone SIM cards however.

• 4. Re: Iphone 5 need a sim

Okay, well i just called a sprint stored they said you can activate without a SIM card but i cant use it internationally, but in that case i need a SIM card by march when i leave to visit  Europe. So i cant activate it? Because every time i try it says please enter a valid SIM card activation failed, so thats where im confused. so is it possible to do it over the phone? Then order a SIM card from a store and pick it up?

• 5. Re: Iphone 5 need a sim
    halcyoncmdr123 Sprint Employee

The iPhone 5 is an exception to the normal rule, all other Sprint GSM-capable phones don't require the SIM to work on our network here in the U.S. The LTE portion of the device and activation are handled by the UICC chip (SIM essentially) so it will not work properly even here in the U.S without that chip being installed.

• 6. Re: Iphone 5 need a sim

Well i dont live in a city that has LTE yet anyways, but so it is possible to have it activated over the phone? well now i need to do that.

• 7. Re: Iphone 5 need a sim
    JamesTooNow Newbie

I had the same exact round around today.

I went to a Sprint Corporate store (14558 Raymer St, Van Nuys, CA). I didn't get past the rep at the door who quickly told me that they do not have SIM cards. He even asked his sales manager who emphatically said that they don't carry SIM cards at the store and that I have to go to the Apple Store to ask for one. I then called the Sprint customer number and I was told the same thing.

So I went to the Apple store. The rep was so upset at me for asking and told me to go back to the Sprint store. He even said, "they don't want to give it to you because they are not making a commission." I practically begged him when he finally relented and said, "just this once we will make an exception" as he begrudgingly gave me the precious SIM card.

Great customer service from both Sprint and Apple!

• 8. Re: Iphone 5 need a sim
    only1ruth.e Social Care

dustinnjames,

Yes, your iPhone can be activated over the phone, at a store or online at http://sprint.com/activate. When you do travel to Europe later this year, contact our International Team at 888 226 7212 for assistance with your international needs.

Ruth E

Social Care Team

• 9. Re: Iphone 5 need a sim
    cabbitdude Newbie

So, this means the iphone 5 _DOES_ require a sim card to work?

And then you can just go online or call to activate it?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points