This discussion is archived
9 Replies Latest reply: Feb 5, 2013 3:32 PM by only1ruth.e RSS

Change of ownership

imTHEDEREK Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

I plan to change the account from my dads name to mine. What information is  exchanged over the phone when you do the conference call?

I set up the security questions, so he wont know the ansers to them possibly. I dont even remember what they were. I also dont need him in any of my financial business, if you know what I mean.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Change of ownership
    Shannon_DE Social Care

A change of ownership would require you setting up an account in your name, and then both parties being in store to sign paperwork to give/receive permission for the transfer of liability to be done. 

Let me know if you have other questions, thanks!

*Shannon

Social Care

• 2. Re: Change of ownership

So youre saying if I dont have my own account, I cant do it over the phone?

• 3. Re: Change of ownership
    Shannon_DE Social Care

We can create an account for you.  This would require running credit under your own name and SSN.  You do not need a new phone.  You can keep the same phone, phone number, etc.  That stuff would move over from your dad's account to yours.

But an account would need to be created, yes.

*Shannon

• 4. Re: Change of ownership

Ok, but you missed the mark on the original question. Ive already emailed the forms and everything and just need to call in. I was wondering what kind of information is discussed on the conference call? I mean, how do they know I didnt pay some bum to call in pretending to be my dad?

• 5. Re: Change of ownership

Are sprint employees stuck to answers on a set of macros or something? The answer I got is hardly even related to my question.

All I know is if my dad has to hang up and start over because he doesnt know the fake name of my first pet, or whatever the question is (I use fake info on stuff like this to prevent social engineering) then the last payment Sprint will get will be an ETF because I decided starting over from scratch at a different company was worth the hassle. And Ill be one ****** mother heffer if I get texts a week from now saying "So what did you buy at Home Depot" or "myyy thats a big credit limit on your AMEX". Somebody out there has had to have gone through this before.

• 6. Re: Change of ownership
    kymip Regular Visitor

I did the same thing you are asking about.  I was told that my father would have to be there; he lives 1200 miles away & so we did a 3-way call. (like you I had all the account passwords which my father did not)  Anyway, we got everything changed over & this was the time sprint had the photo stuff online & you had to use the account holders name for the sprint picture mail.  I had asked with the accound holders name being changed will my fathers name still appear for the sprint picture mail log in & I was told it would not.... that was not true.  Needless to say even though it was in my fathers name & social but the bill was always in my husbands name (for 11 years) we are considered a "new" customer now & now we have to pay some crazy fee but if we make 18 consecutive on time payments we won't have to do that anymore.  I tell you, we had soooooo many issues in changing the names over (and my fathers name was still appearing & when I called about it I was told it never got changed, just odd)  But the straight up answer... I called that *2, talked to a rep with my father & they "changed" it..... now, make sure that you just keep checking to make sure it was done, so call back about a week later.  Hope that helps!    Oh & as far as the info. they will ask, from what I remember they will ask for his social; part of me wants to say just the last 4 but I'm not 100% certain if it's that or the full social & I think that was basically it aside from address, etc. But then all the other info. they will ask for are going to be those questions you will have the answers to.

• 7. Re: Change of ownership

Will they ask any info from me that isnt something id want to share with the world? (Other than social). Sounds pretty straight forward and sounds like they are basically doing the minimum to follow FCC rules.

Glad im not the only one who is only on my dads account just because of "laziness". I swear people look at me like "what are you 12?" When i say the account isnt in my name. Signed up with tmobile 10 years ago when i had no credit history yet. Just something i never took care of afterwards ;)

Not really worried about the name staying, i just want to port the number over to a new carrier and have it in my name. At least til sprint rolls out more LTE. Theyve been good other than the network. The wimax debacle really set them back. Customer service is way better than when i signed up a few years ago. I almost cancelled coming to sprint because the guy porting me here was so bad. Definitely not leaving out of spite, but i have the means to go to a better network and afford it now, so why not?

• 8. Re: Change of ownership
    kymip Regular Visitor

No, they will not ask you any "out of ordinary" questions.  It's very straight fwd... once everything is said & done but sometimes we may not get the person on the other end who actually processes everything ( my reasoning for making sure about a week later everything is changed over).  Doesn't matter the reason why it's in your dad's name, you'd be surprised there are a lot of people that do the same thing.  I agree with you as far as if you are able to get something better; I thought about leaving sprint a few times just due to the pricing but honestly - compared to the others out there sprint has them beat. (aside from a prepaid phone, but you have to make sure it's unlimited everything)  Then I was always scared about bringing my number with me I don't want to risk any "mess ups" & find out... oh, well we can't take that number so here is a new one.  But good luck to you buddy!

• 9. Re: Change of ownership
    only1ruth.e Social Care

You can also intiate Change of Ownership online at http://sprint.com/changeofownership. Very convenient when the distance between all parties is an issue.

Ruth E

Social Care Team

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points