1 2 3 Previous Next 37 Replies Latest reply: Nov 9, 2013 11:10 PM by albundyhere RSS

Samsung Galaxy S2 - Fast battery drain since update and high voltage everytime I try to charge.  Anyone Else?

liroper Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Samsung Galaxy S2

I'm having two major issues. 

Starting about a month ago my phone has been beeping & blinking "high voltage" about 50% of the time I'm trying to charge my phone.  When it does this it stops the charging process and the battery will not charge.   I'll change batteries, reboot, etc.  Half the time I have to turn the phone off so that it can charge and then I'll turn it on when it says 100%.  Very inconvient when you use your phone as an alarm clock.

It already had such crappy battery life that my husband and I purchased 8 batteries and an external charger so that we keep several charged and ready to change out as needed.

Then on 2/7 my phone recieved a Sprint update.  I tried to ingore it and install later, but it kept poping up so I finally let it "upgrade".   Well ever since the update my phone battery is draining rediculously fast.  I am talking it said that it was charged 100% and then it was at 16% battery in less than an hour.    I've killed all "applications", stopped every "google" **** process in the background and it still drains super quick. 

Is anyone else having thess issues?

It seems like everytime our "contract" is complete something mysteriously happens to our phone and forces us to upgrade and sign another contract.  (Our contract was up last week).

• 1. Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 - Fast battery drain since update and high voltage everytime I try to charge.  Anyone Else?
    srala1 Valued Member

I'm amazed you only have two major issues with that phone. That Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G touch has had nothing but problems ever since last August. The battery issues you are experiencing right now started back then when the phone was upgraded to the ICS operating system. I use to own one of those phones and got rid of it last Thanksgiving due to the never ending list of problems. The quick battery drainage was almost one of the very first problems I experienced shortly after the upgrade. It didn't take long for the battery to finally give out due to the constant recharging and discharging of it. In fact a few weeks before Thanksgiving I found myself at the Sprint repair store for this battery issue. I was given a replacement and sent on my merry way. The replacement battery was better but I still had trouble making it through the day without having to charge the thing at least twice in an eight hour span. It's a **** shame you went out and bought all those extra batteries and chargers to keep you going, especially when Sprint and Samsung know that this is a problem they are aware of and have failed to correct ever since last August.

• 2. Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 - Fast battery drain since update and high voltage everytime I try to charge.  Anyone Else?
    lynx1946 Newbie

I'm having the same problems my phone is only 7 months old and Srpint or samsung will do anything about it. Sprint has the worse customer service I ever delt with.

There telling there customers that Samsung has a 1 year replacement on there phones that a lie. I spoke to samsung and they told me they neverreplace phones you have to pay to have it sent back to them to fix. After 4 days of chatting and phone calls and going to the store nothing is resolved. So im stuck with a phone after doing what samsung support told me to do that won't even boot now.All I can say way to go Sprint and Samsung your customer service really SUCKS THE BIG ONE.

• 3. Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 - Fast battery drain since update and high voltage everytime I try to charge.  Anyone Else?
    NORRISFAMILYFISHERS Newbie

I too am having battery problems. I did not have these problems when I upgraded to ICS like others did. I also noticed that my phone now is  constantly searching for 4G (not something that is around Indianapolis) and that could be helping with the draining. The phone contract is not up yet for me or I would be trading! I have not had as many problems as others have but I do not "push" it to its limits.

I will be watching to see if anyone else has remarks or "fixes"

• 4. Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 - Fast battery drain since update and high voltage everytime I try to charge.  Anyone Else?
    NORRISFAMILYFISHERS Newbie

I too am having battery problems. I did not have these problems when I upgraded to ICS like others did. I also noticed that my phone now is  constantly searching for 4G (not something that is around Indianapolis) and that could be helping with the draining. The phone contract is not up yet for me or I would be trading! I have not had as many problems as others have but I do not "push" it to its limits.

I will be watching to see if anyone else has remarks or "fixes"

• 5. Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 - Fast battery drain since update and high voltage everytime I try to charge.  Anyone Else?
    stevehamilton Newbie

It's not just the S2. I have the old school Epic 4G and my phone just started doing this about a week ago. On my day off I stayed at home all day and was on my Wifi. No 3G or 4G usage and my battery was dead faster then when I am out all day. Battery charges to 100% no problem, but drains super fast no matter what I do. It's beginning to get annoying. My contract was up last year and I've never had a problem with my phone. I'm was plannin on waiting for 4G LTE to come to Seattle before I upgrade my phone. Hopefully they either revert to the previous update with no problems, or introduce a new one that fixes the battery drain issue.

• 6. Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 - Fast battery drain since update and high voltage everytime I try to charge.  Anyone Else?
    dew4959 Newbie

Ditto to all that has been said above.  Went to bed with a fully charged phone and it was at 37% this morning.  Usage showed that 72% of the drain was from the Android OS (while I as asleep).  Odds are if you are reading this post you've already updated your OS, but if not...DON'T do it yet.

• 7. Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 - Fast battery drain since update and high voltage everytime I try to charge.  Anyone Else?
    will9i9am Newbie

To turn off the network auto detect, go to: Settings, More, Mobile Networks, Connections Optimizer (a.k.a. Battery Drain Optimizer) and uncheck the box at top right corner. This is for Samasung Galaxy S2 phones.

• 8. Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 - Fast battery drain since update and high voltage everytime I try to charge.  Anyone Else?
    acklamay Newbie

I never post but its time too. The battery issues including some others have been around for awhile, but the new update this febuary has caused high voltage and charging issues. Sprint had billing issues that government tackled them for a couple years back so my siblings dropped them. Since I have been with them I get charged for 4g which isnt true 4g and it barely covers the major cities when I pass through them. Not to mention they offer 4g lte which isnt true 4g either which means they arent working on the network they are charging me for. Note: no one in the states offers true 4g though 4g lte with the right compression may be there soon. Back to battery issues. The updates are forced and programmed by some hack programmers. Its not optional nor is there an ability to turn off all sprint features. I dont care to hear from them. I want to receive service pay my bill and be left alone. The newest update (voltage nightmare) added a feature that monitors your network usage in an attempt to maximize your time on networks other than theirs. I get that the wireless industry is burdened by the new smart device boom and if people spend more time on  their home networks it relieves their data burden; however, I always turn on wireless when in range because its faster. I dont need sprint monitoring my usage and trying to be effecient with my data because they are not good at it and they waste my battery and system resources. I have unlimited so I do not have to worry. Instead I worry about and fear updates. I waste time trying to fix my phone fighting freezes, shutdowns, and resets. I was told in the store I could unistall sprint apps because I was buying a smartphone but instead it turns out the apps are integrated into the system kernel. For those of you whose wireless is still searching after turning off androids search features go to settings>more>mobile networks>connections optimizer and opt out of sprints burdensome helper. That should fix the random searches. As for the voltage issue, lets pray they fix it. If they dont I rather switch providers and pay out of contract than buy a new model phone that they can destroy with bad programming. Its my hope that sprint survives the two giants att and verizon, but these little issues add up and waste my time. Ill be starting a fb group to help petition certain rights and options for sprint users in hopes to they actually start listening to various points in detail. For instance, I get they dont want people having root access altering data rates(stealing). Aletring your software is legal it just voids your warranty, but they need to offer partial root access for firewalls. They need to allow people to opt out of updates. And if we dont want bloatware we should be able to unistall it. Even though their network is limited I can be happy with it and its pricing if they would stop destroying the usability of my phone. I do discourage flashing your phone and do encourage your home network when in range, but you do what you have to do. I might alter my kernel to disable updates and cancel my phone insurance to save money if I void my phone. Because a sprint destroyed phone is a broken phone. And no sprint I will not buy another battery from store rep who knows less about engineering tech and more about philosophy.

• 9. Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 - Fast battery drain since update and high voltage everytime I try to charge.  Anyone Else?
    SPARKLECAT17 Newbie

with regard to constantly searching for 4g- after the update, the phone now has a network setting called "connections optimization" which means its constantly trying to switch around and look for wifi / 4g. this is default to on after the feb update. so turning it off fixed THAT problem.

otherwise, i have also noticed the increased battery drain, and a little something i like to call the "phantom menu". when i have low cell reception, the menu constantly flips open (in home screen or in apps, doesnt matter), to the point when i just have to wait for it stop twitching. all the touch buttons light up and i cant do anything until it stops. a pain in the ***- considering i have low reception in my house, but i just want to surf the web on wifi! this problem seemed to have been better with the previous sprint update, but its back with a vegance now. overall, my phone is def less responsive and generally more slow than before.

i have android 4.0.4 // kernal 3.0.15-1173404. wish i hadnt been so gun-ho about installing the update without doing some research :-/

• 10. Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 - Fast battery drain since update and high voltage everytime I try to charge.  Anyone Else?
    SHANEGRZY45 Newbie

Sprint has gone done the drain. the epic 4g touch is the wrost battery drainer for a phone i seen. and sprint dose not do anything about it and my phone is also looking for 4g service and we have no 4g service around in michigan... if you have any problems with you phone draining battery and there are apps for it https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.gpo.greenpower&hl=en if you have anymore problems with your phone or have any quesitions  i can help you contact me at shaneg71@me.com

• 11. Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 - Fast battery drain since update and high voltage everytime I try to charge.  Anyone Else?
    acklamay Newbie

OK, let me say this for all who receive the update and their phone starts acting up. While many electronic devices have the same build for instance the Epic Touch 4G, sometimes chipsets or other parts come from different factories and are slightly different components leading to the same builds. An update that does not cater to all components could mess up the device for some of us but not all. Unfortunately, this problem seems to affect a large portion of us. While talking to a representative I learned these updates are created by Samsung. If so, Sprint should take more care into what Samsung releases because it soils their name. I am convinced Sprint is still very much in this update process as ‘Sprint ID’ is written into the system kernel and the FI24 Update created 'Connections Optimizer' a tool meant to unload the burden to the Sprint network and unintentionally waste our battery by collecting personal usage habits in an attempt to connect to networks we are in common proximity to. I use Wi Fi simply because it's faster as I'm sure many others do as well. As many of us have already stated, "turn off connections optimizer to prevent battery drain, and for the sake of your connection's speed connect to a Wi-Fi manually when available."

Ghost menu??? Read above statement…

High Voltage when in the car- For some of you, you started your car and its electrical system surged your phone. The High Voltage feature was intended to save your phone. Don’t start your car with anything plugged in ever! Everyone else, read below.

Now, for those of us with high voltage issues... my experience and advice. Your phone will not stop beeping and warning High Voltage - charging has been paused. I'm certain it's paused even when the bar says it's charging or notifying %100 charge. I say this because eventually my battery ran dry. When I received my update the phone was plugged into my computer and I could link if I chose. The update came through 3g not my computer and I just reloaded a clean OS image to my computer prior so no issues from my computer's end. My battery was mostly charged and plugged in for the update as I didn't feel like hitting ignore update every waking moment as I did for the previous updates. The update came through and when I unplugged my phone from my computer the first High Voltage warning came up. It persisted as well as the charging icon and the fully charged icon whether I was attempting a charge or not. When my phone ran dry, my official sprint charger’s LED (The charger itself) blinked when connected to my phone as if something were wrong. I put my battery in my friend's phone and his in mine. My phone kept acting and lighting up but his FI27 (Previous Update) charged my battery from 0% to 100%. I performed a soft reset in essence by removing the battery as any good tech would have you do. I then completed a factory reset from within the device and a hard reset which is a factory reset from the maintenance load out (Hold down Power and Volume Up if you want to see it). Let me say I cared for my device and treated a GO phone with a micro USB much worse. The Go Phone is my MP3 player while I MT Bike, Run, or Cut Lumber outside IN ALL Weather! Its Micro USB is just fine. Now, like many of us. The Sprint stores will claim the phone battery is dead or the charging port is corroded/Micro USB. Do not buy another battery! Test yours in a friend's or display model. Let me explain why this I believe to be a lie told most likely in ignorance. It's the best explanation a store tech has when they troubleshoot and if you have Sprint Insurance they will replace it either way. It's a shame their 3rd party insurance agency foots the bill, but hey, that's why many of us pay the policy and Sprint can refurbish your old phone. Now I travelled from West TX to East TX with a fully charged unplugged battery and three Sprint stores along the way told me it wasn’t their problem and they knew nothing of the update. I took to chatting online when home and the first representative dropped me whether intentional or not. The next told me his phone was working fine. He has the same model and I tested him to make sure he wasn’t lying. (I worked in a call center before College and wouldn’t trust all my peers as management’s press for efficiency/threat of termination hindered ability to service). He knew what the update number was and how to navigate the new features. He also expressed concern he might get fired for being on his phone, lol. Sounds like a call center. He wanted to replace my phone, but could not without the store verifying its integrity. Reluctantly, I entered College Station TX’s sprint store and they were more helpful despite the wait. They told me I had a bad/corroded USB which I’m certain isn’t the case, but whatever; insurance is sending me a refurbished one. I’m not a fan of giving up devices that I can’t encrypt because they aren’t rooted. I did banking over that phone and once it’s refurbished it could end up anywhere in the world with anyone who might have a basic knowledge of data recovery. (Data recovery isn’t hard; I do it for my friends’ busted devices all the time.) With what remaining charge I have left I can trick the phone into connecting to my computer and you can too so you can back up data. Here’s how:

If you still have juice but can’t turn the phone on hold down power and volume up to get to the Samsung Tool Load-Out/ Android recovery. Reboot the system and wait. Do not plug the phone into your computer until the computer and phone are both on; otherwise, the computer won’t recognize the device. From there you can take out your battery and save juice (Guess the power port isn’t corroded after all!) while you sync your accounts from within your phone or copy data by dragging and dropping from your computer. Don’t touch your phone when transferring data as it will freeze. If you use the Samsung KIES software you can also back up your mms and sms etc... If you do back up data make sure for instance when your phone is replaced that you fix the settings before reloading the data or old messages will be lost as the original setting may delete messages based off date or numbering.

Don’t have insurance. Try to sell back your phone or keep working with Sprint. Last option is to be adventurous or wait until the next update. Whenever that is????? Your phone probably won’t have a charge…

If you are adventurous you can find 3rd party firmware online, but it will void your warranty and as far as the Epic Touch 4G is concerned, few are stable and could harm your device. Also question how established and safe are those who wrote it. I don’t want Sprint going the way of the Dodo. AT&T/Verizon need competition. Hang in there folks, smartphones is a new market and jumping ship could land you in the same boat somewhere else. Time will tell if Sprint stops these problems for all devices or ignores us.

• 12. Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 - Fast battery drain since update and high voltage everytime I try to charge.  Anyone Else?
    arctic_fox75 Newbie

My phone is doing the exact same thing. I am frustrated and thinking of switching carriers.

• 13. Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 - Fast battery drain since update and high voltage everytime I try to charge.  Anyone Else?
    shapetans Newbie

I was out of the country in February when the update was released. However since my return have been appalled by the battery drain on the 'phone. Is anyone out there paying attention? Either at Sprint or at Samsung or at Google?

We need a fix!

• 14. Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 - Fast battery drain since update and high voltage everytime I try to charge.  Anyone Else?
    Soso96 Newbie

I had the same charging issue, it wasmy battery port, not reading the charger. They had to swap out my phone for another one. But in the mean time I purchased an external battery charger at Batteries Plus and it worked great.  The whole situation  was a pain in the ****.The repait store did say that they have been getting a lot of probelms with the port on the S2.

Have them swap it out. Good luck

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points