1 12 13 14 15 16 17 Previous Next 239 Replies Latest reply: Mar 31, 2014 10:44 AM by fireguy_6364 Go to original post RSS
  • 195. Re: Samsung Galaxy s3 Signal Issues
    OWENSAA01 Regular Visitor
    Currently Being Moderated

Sprint chose to lag behind in making the transition to 4G. I bought the galaxy S3 and it is a paperweight. Old phone worked great in my area. No concern from sprint except to send me an Airave signal booster which just increased the monthly cost of my phone service, although i can make calls now as long as i'm inside my house. Guess what Sprint? I am switching to another carrier and I'm spreading the word to everyone I can that they should not choose sprint as their cell phone carrier!

• 196. Re: Samsung Galaxy s3 Signal Issues
    Akballer Newbie

I'm having the same issue as everyone else. I don't have time to read through every post though. Did anybody find a fix? Is there any way to get out of our contracts without the termination fee since our phones won't work from our homes?

• 197. Re: Samsung Galaxy s3 Signal Issues
    ferrell.scott Regular Visitor

it has gotten better for me.  i live in baltimore but was not receiving 4g with my sgs3 whereas my buddy (with same phone) was.  i took it to sprint, they couldn't fix it, i paid $30 to have them replace my phone, and was able to get 4g.  was still losing calls in my thick brick apartment building and 4g signal was so low it typically switched to 3g; however, last night i had a long conversation without any dropped calls / loss in reception (3 out fo 5 bars!) and 4g signal was rocking!  i did a speedtest...download 4Mbps, upload 0.5Mbps.  updated ~ 10 apps from app store within minutes.  i would suggest that if you're in a city that is supposed to have 4g signal to hold on a little longer. 

• 198. Re: Samsung Galaxy s3 Signal Issues
    GiantJay Regular Visitor

All you have to do to get out of your contract is pay the etf. Can't be much simpler.

• 199. Re: Samsung Galaxy s3 Signal Issues
    Akballer Newbie

Should people really be forced to pay the ETF? I don't think many of us would have agreed to a 2-year contract if we knew that we wouldn't be able to use our phones from home.

• 200. Re: Samsung Galaxy s3 Signal Issues
    DataDaveWave Newbie

I agree, however I haven't heard of anyone getting out after the 15 day startup period (used to be 30, that's how I got caught, thinking I had more time). If anyone knows how to 'prove' that these phones don't work and can get out of their ETF, I'd love to hear it. Because it's my only phone, I'm forced to use it and sure there is enough reception in enough places that I can use it sometimes, just not much at home or work or in the car on a certain level. So, because I use the phone SO much for calls and data, etc they used that against me saying, "Well sir, you've used 1500 minutes and 2 GB of data, it must be working..." and I try to explain that yes in some areas it does work, but in most it does not. They don't care, they blindly enforce their 'contract' and don't seem to care less that they will lose me as a customer as soon as all my plans expire. Too bad... I know my $3600+ bills each year are tiny compared to the overall revenue, but it's a start.

• 201. Re: Samsung Galaxy s3 Signal Issues
    skygh Newbie

I am in Omaha which is not a huge city. I got an airave so I Can use this phone at home and get good internet because of my wifi but I am in the service industry and work all around Omaha. I can be at completely open areas in the heart of high end neighborhoods and only hear every third word of a phone conversation or worse at times, clear others. Internet? Ha!. We are 3G and we may be the last city to be upgraded. If we need to look something up online others use Galaxy's and of course Fruit phones and can have full webpages loaded while I watch hopefully to get the complete search page to load. It is ridiculous and it is not rare. When I am alone I just have to wait for a page to load often walking around with my phone held overhead looking very irritated. Getting a good net connection is pretty rare anyplace but my home. I got better connections on I-80 30 miles outside of Omaha than in town the other day. The phone and it's features are amazing but unless I can use them why is this costing me so much? This needs fixed.

• 202. Re: Samsung Galaxy s3 Signal Issues
    nilaceann Regular Visitor

its not just sprint, the GS3 has a bad antena (samsung is known for this) i have friends on t-mobile, att and sprint with the phone and all of them have signal issues when not in line of sight of a tower.  Its the phone not sprint imo buy blackberry if you want signal (of course that means you will have to leave sprint to get the z10)

• 203. Re: Samsung Galaxy s3 Signal Issues
    thetrevca Newbie

I had the Galaxy s3 for a couple weeks and returned for the galaxy note 2. I can verify with great certainty that the galaxy S3 antenna hardware is inferior.

In my office (mission valley san diego) I was getting 3g speeds of 100kbps consitently. After i got the Note 2, viola it jumped up to stable 400 - 500 kbps (upstream and down), and no more dropped calls (yet).

They clearly used different hardware for the Note 2. The Sprint rep insisted that the Note 2 would not have any better reception than S3 ::rolls eyes::

As a side note, I used to have the EVO 4G for a couple years and that thing was dynamite as far as reception goes, however there was clearly a tradeoff of battery vs. antenna strength. Its battery would run down very quickly after heavy 3G use, but with the Note 2 larger battery I guess they figured they'd just go for it and use the more powerful antenna hardware. That's just my guess.

• 204. Re: Samsung Galaxy s3 Signal Issues
    Mitmax Newbie

I had the Evo 4G and never had a problem with reception. I switched to the SIII a week ago and I have no reception at work even though I'm told that I'm in a good coverage area. I think I might go back to the EVO.

• 205. Re: Samsung Galaxy s3 Signal Issues
    thetrevca Newbie

Mitmax,

I STRONGLY suggest that you take that s3 back and return it while you can.

• 206. Re: Samsung Galaxy s3 Signal Issues
    bobtrask1957 Newbie

Have the G3 and the call and text issues are a problem. The other problem is that this area of Sprint is for venting issues. I see no solution by Sprint nor do I see any suggestions by Sprint. Seems they have turned a deaf ear to issues with the promise things will get better.

• 207. Re: Samsung Galaxy s3 Signal Issues
    Karim_Abdullah Regular Visitor

I am surprised there hasn't been a lawsuit against Samsung S3 or Sprint.  I am in the same boat as everyone else.  No doubt, S3 has a bad antenna and Sprint's coverage makes it worse. 

S3+Sprint = You are screwed.

• 208. Re: Samsung Galaxy s3 Signal Issues
    rick.spencer Bronze Expert

Mitmax wrote:

I had the Evo 4G and never had a problem with reception. I switched to the SIII a week ago and I have no reception at work even though I'm told that I'm in a good coverage area. I think I might go back to the EVO.

This post may shed light on the difference:

XOCHILT0524 wrote:

Man your are not the only one with that issue!!!!. In less than 14 days i returned 2 galaxy s3's and 1 note II simply because i was getting low signal and poor call quailty at home and work

something thatnever happened with my old blackberry and my trusty evo 4g. I don't know what is wrong but sprint is gonna have to do something soon to fix the low reception issue with some samsung phones.

The issue isn't the phones having an issue or a defect. The Galaxy S3 has a powerful antenna per the FCC testing for the model. However, many older phones had more powerful antenna. The original HTC EVO had the most powerful antenna/radio of any Sprint phone in history. Blackberries also tended have the highest radiation output of just about any phone ever made, this does not necessarily equate to a stronger antenna, but it is a pretty good indication, I haven't taken the time to look back through the discontinued Blackberry FCC filings for power to compare.

Network Vision enhancements are going to increase network-side efficiency which will also help overall since the towers themselves will be able to operate more efficiently. I can't say that in every situation and location in the country it will be enough to make a difference, but in many fringe areas the NV enhancements will make for a noticeable improvement in service. The current network in many areas is overburdened and operating at a much lower level than in recent years, this means a moderate antenna design that would havebeen sufficient a few years ago, may now have a noticeable difference in reception. After tyhe NV upgrades and spectrum changes Sprint is making the network should be back above the performance it was at a few years ago and these issues ssohuld be much less common, they will move back out to the fringe of coverage instead of the fringe created by issues within the main network areas.

• 209. Re: Samsung Galaxy s3 Signal Issues
    thetrevca Newbie

Fyi everyone, sprint's marketing whitewash above about 'vision enhancements' likely isnt going to change the fact that the s3 has inferior reception. I reiterate, if you CAN return it, DO IT. I also recommend staying away from samsung s4 unless samsung addresses in no uncertain terms the s3 reception issues.