8 Replies Latest reply: Mar 27, 2013 7:04 PM by Brantl RSS

Galaxy Note 2 Freezing, Requiring Hard Reset

mouseag1999 Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

Hi there - all of the sudden, yesterday my GN2 started freezing several times, requiring a hard reset (taking battery out).  I tried clearing the cache to no avail.  I also deleted several apps, and hadn't recently installed anything (except some apps updated, though don't know which ones, or if there is a log to show me). 

Anyway - lots of situations cause this to happen, including:

• phone sitting there idle
  • talking on phone without bluetooth
  • talking on phone with bluetooth (especially frequent)

I have tried lots of things - but no idea what is happening.  In the past, it has restarted occassionally - but nothing to this degree. 

Any help you can provide would be great.  Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Galaxy Note 2 Freezing, Requiring Hard Reset
    SuperWilliamD Social Care

mouseag1999,

Hey there! Thanks so much for making us aware of your concern! Have you recently downloaded a specific app that manipulates some of the functions of the device? This can at times cause performance issues. Try removing some recently downloaded apps and see if that offers improvements.

Let me know,

William

• 2. Re: Galaxy Note 2 Freezing, Requiring Hard Reset
    mouseag1999 Regular Visitor

Hi William - thanks for your response. 

It seems that AT&T unified messaging was an app that I have had for a while, but they made an update a couple of days ago which caused this.  I've uninstalled it, and it's working better now.  Is there a way to find out my most recently updated apps?  I always know which ones I have recently installed new, but not the ones updated. 

That being said - I still have issues with it freezing up from time to time, but fairly often when it is connecting/disconnecting or connected to bluetooth (radio or headset). 

I have seen others report this issue as well.  Is this something someone can address?

Thanks in advance -

• 3. Re: Galaxy Note 2 Freezing, Requiring Hard Reset
    Brantl Regular Visitor

Join the party. This phone has major bluetooth issues that nobody seems to know about. I am on my second phone but they all do it (at least everyone I have spoken too) and it is intermittnt and inconsistent, I thought maybe it was related to the power cord I was using in my car since it worked fine some of the time when not plugged in. Anyway, they need some software updates to fix this. Don't buy it when the reps tell you they haven't heard of it. I got one to admit it is widespread and everyone knows about it. If you search Google you will find the same issues on Verizon and ATT GN IIs. Since many folks like us use bluetooth in our cars they really need to get on this before it becomes a newsworthy issue and hurts Samsung. Also, my phone is Sprint and I have reset it multiple times with no other apps installed. That doesn't fix it nor does replacing it. I hope I don't have to switch to another phone. I came from an HTC 3D and it was flawless.

I forgot to mention that I tried another vehicle and guess what - same problem.

My phone was fixed and it was all renegade apps. Get rid of the Task killer apps and anything AT&T like Voice Mail Viewer. It fixes it.

• 4. Re: Galaxy Note 2 Freezing, Requiring Hard Reset
    Brantl Regular Visitor

I decided to work at trying to figure out this phone this weekend and I solved the bluetooth and some other weird behaviors. It turns out in my case my suspicions about the power cord were the answer. I reused the same car charger in all of my testing but had noticed that maybe the phone behaved when I didn't use a power cord (which I always do in the car). Anyway, I went to Wal-Mart and bought a Just Wireless car charger (for Samsung phones)  for $20 and it fixed everything. My car charger was from a previous phone and worked fine with the HTC. It turns out they are not all created equally. I am not sure if it is a voltage issue or what but the power cords work differently even though the plugs are the same.

• 5. Re: Galaxy Note 2 Freezing, Requiring Hard Reset
    garwynn Expert

I always recommend using the Stock cable and just buying one of those car-to-USB connectors from Wal-Mart.  Solved the problem for me in both vehicles.

Brantl wrote:

I decided to work at trying to figure out this phone this weekend and I solved the bluetooth and some other weird behaviors. It turns out in my case my suspicions about the power cord were the answer. I reused the same car charger in all of my testing but had noticed that maybe the phone behaved when I didn't use a power cord (which I always do in the car). Anyway, I went to Wal-Mart and bought a Just Wireless car charger (for Samsung phones)  for $20 and it fixed everything. My car charger was from a previous phone and worked fine with the HTC. It turns out they are not all created equally. I am not sure if it is a voltage issue or what but the power cords work differently even though the plugs are the same.

• 6. Re: Galaxy Note 2 Freezing, Requiring Hard Reset
    Brantl Regular Visitor

I still get some freezes occasionally but was told by my local Sprint rep the next firmware update will fix the bluetooth issues. It is a known problem by Samsung. If you Google you will find discussions on it related to Google Now.

• 7. Re: Galaxy Note 2 Freezing, Requiring Hard Reset
    JAY_COLE2007 Valued Member

I had this issue really bad recently and like many others I did some research.  And found this post on the sprint website I think...that said to many widgets running at once can cause the phone to possibly freeze up and that certain task killers conflict with eachother and at times can cause the same issue both of which Im Guilty of. I love me a good widget and I use 2 task killers...dont ask me why?¿! So for the heck of it I removed a couple or a few not really sure widgets and deleted thee xtra task killer. And it hasn't done it since (knock on wood) its only been one full day but im happy at this point to get that. I will how ever say that for the beast this phone is no amount of widgets should cause this much havoc. Samsung makes great phone's now it's time  focus on fixing the bugs....just saying.

• 8. Re: Galaxy Note 2 Freezing, Requiring Hard Reset
    Brantl Regular Visitor

Yes the Task Killer apps were for earlier Android and does squirrely things on the current version. You can delete apps the same way by holding the center button down and then swiping them to either side. It clears them from memory (but you really don't even need to do this).

The real problem mine had was the AT&T Voice Mail Viewer application. It is a Galaxy killer and will cause freezing, bluetooth, and wifi disconnects, rebooting of the phone, etc. Get rifd of it. I had a Samsung tech, Handsfreelink (Honda bluetooth people), and an XDA Developer guy all on a conference call before we figured it out. Despite what the reviews say in Google Play they have not fixed it as of a week ago. AT&T refuses to pull the app. Tens of thousands of Galaxys were affected. AT&T seems bent on slowing the Galaxy success down.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...