1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply: Mar 12, 2014 11:32 AM by SprintCare RSS

Data Roaming

ADS20010 Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

My account page states that I have unlimited roaming data, but I have read that there is a 300mb cap to roaming data.  What should I trust?

• 1. Re: Data Roaming
    -D4V1D- Silver Expert

ADS20010,

Thank you for the question. www.Sprint.com/termsandconditions has the exact verbiage, but basically you need to use the majority of your data on the Sprint network.  Data roaming is included in your plan at no additional cost - but to keep the costs of our rate plans and the ability to offer things like unlimited data, we want to make sure our users are using their services primarily on our network.

Here's the legal description:

Off-network Roaming: The primary use of your Device must be for domestic purposes within the Sprint-owned network. Domestic means use in the 50 United States and U.S. Territories (except Guam). Sprint reserves the right, without notice, to deny, terminate, modify, disconnect or suspend service if off-network usage in a month exceeds: (1) voice: 800 min. or a majority of minutes; or (2) data: 300 megabytes or a majority of kilobytes. The display on your device may not always be on and will not indicate whether you will incur roaming charges. You can monitor usage online through My Account. Roaming is not available with single-band phones, or to customers who reside or whose primary use is outside an area covered by the Nationwide Sprint Network. Sprint may limit or terminate service if you move outside of the Sprint owned-network.

Let me know if you have any additional questions about this.

Thanks,

*David

• 2. Re: Data Roaming
    ADS20010 Regular Visitor

Thank you for the response, but your answer is still ambiguous.  You say a majority must be on network, but point to the 300mb lanuguage.  So, if I use 500mb on network in a month as well as 300mb while roaming (only because Sprint network is very weak inside buildings in an otherwise in-network location), will my plan be terminated?

• 3. Re: Data Roaming
    wish2btlc Regular Visitor

The 300mb language is there so that they can terminate someone for roaming on data easily.  I think the 300mb is a bit out-dated considering modern data rates.  I have used more than 300mb data several different months while roaming.  What I hear about in forums is they terminate people if they are using many GB of data while roaming, especially when they aren't using much on the Sprint network.  If they find out you are having problems with service, they'll offer an Airrave free of charge, but I think you have to have internet for that to work, and it'll only work at home.  Some people use the data roaming clause as a way to get out of their Sprint contract without paying ETF, so it actually works AGAINST Sprint sometimes.  They'll root their phone and get an app called Roam Control that allows them to force their phone to always roam on another network, even if they are within range of Sprint towers.  They'll sit around and download a LOT of data until Sprint terminates their plan.  It's pretty shady, and from what I've read it takes quite a bit.  The customer service rep can't give you a straight answer on how much it takes, all they can do is point you to the terms and conditions.  They can't risk saying anything that would risk invalidating terms and conditions.

• 4. Re: Data Roaming
    RonQ Newbie

I agree I've lost all confidence in Sprint and now I've been getting Data roaming charges once in awhile, and now it's constant. So am I getting charged "Data" roaming even though I'm constantly connected to my home wifi?

If I can find another carrier that will take on my cancellation fees, then I'm moving on!

• 5. Re: Data Roaming
    I-am-Sam Social Care

ADS20010

Happy to clear things up! From my understanding none of our plans include unlimited roaming, but I am only human and could be wrong. What price plan are you on? I will be happy to look into the details of your price plan and let you know what is included. When you get close to your limit (75%, 90%, 100%) of roaming off the Sprint network we will send you notifications.

Thank you,

Samantha

Sprint Social Care Team

Tuesday-Saturday 11am-8pm mst.

• 6. Re: Data Roaming
    Eagles036 Newbie

Samantha

Good morning. I am a new Sprint customer. In fact I just activated my iPhones yesterday. My question is if I only use Data in the DFW area will there be any roaming minutes used? Also if I use my phone when I travel to Southern California (not Mexico just California) will there be any roaming minutes used?

Take care and thank you for your help.

Mike

• 7. Re: Data Roaming
    AmaiT Social Care

Hello Eagles036,

Thanks for posting. As long as you are in Sprint coverage you will occur any roaming charges.We do have excellent coverage in DFW and California.You can check our map www.sprint.com/coverage. Thanks .*Paida

• 8. Re: Data Roaming
    Eagles036 Newbie

Hello Paida

Thank you very much for your reply.  I see you wrote "will occur any roaming charges" did you mean "will NOT occur any roaming charges"?  Also I reviewed your coverage map and it is an excellent tool.  In fact your entire site is excellent.

Thank you very much for you help

Mike

• 9. Re: Data Roaming
    AmaiT Social Care

Hello,

I'm sorry about that I did mean to say that you will not occur any roaming charges as long as you ar in Sprint coverage..Thank you.*Paida

• 10. Re: Data Roaming
    SABBERDAB1 Newbie

I just got a letter from Sprint stating the same... apparently I was roaming when I thought I was using WiFi. The letter stated what David said about "off network roaming" and possibly having my account canceled?  I mean really? I've been with Sprint since 1998 and I have never been late paying my bill and I have never taken my privliges for granted. I make one mistake and I get a rude letter reminding me that Sprint can terminate my contract at any time?  First they take away my VIP privilage so they can continue to afford allowing to have unlimited use. I understood that. Now this rude letter without any warning?  Very frustrating... Other carriers are looking a little better.  I believe TMobile has gone to an unlimited plan. I'm going to check into it.

• 11. Re: Data Roaming
    only1ruth.e Social Care

SABBERDAB1

Thank you for sharing your experience. I want to first apologize that the letter was an unexpected surprise. We are not providing optimal data service to you and we do not want to keep you in a situation where WIFI is a nessecity to use your data service with us. We do not want you to feel penalized for being in a romaing area, which is why the Off Network Roaming group has reached out to you. We hope to have you as a returning customer if changes in the network occur in the future. Let's use this as an opportunity to make necessary changes for your wireless need.

Ruth E

Social Care Team

• 12. Re: Data Roaming
    BMALACHUK Regular Visitor

I would love to know where these notifications you speak of happen to be sent. I am facing a situation of having my line of service being terminated after being a Sprint customer for 9-10 years because I was unaware that Unlimited doesn't really mean unlimited, even though my bill said so up till this past month (april 2013, now says see terms)

If there truly was a system in place to notify customers of something like going way over data limits for roaming, perhaps my situation could have been head off at the pass. Now I am left scrambling to find a solution to save my phone line I have had for the last decade. To make matters worse the "excessive roaming use" is spread over a 4 month period and I have seen accounts of people using 34GB of roaming data in a single month and not being treated the way I am. Admittedly I used about 14gb in a 4 month period, but I was under the impression that unlimited (as listed on my bill) meant unlimited. Had the roaming use counter said XX KB/307200 Kb remaining, maybe I'd have had some idea that it's limited

• 13. Re: Data Roaming
    AmaiT Social Care

Hello BMALACHUK,

Thanks for posting. I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We do sent notifications via mail about any excessive roaming. I do apologize for any inconvenience this has caused. Thank you. *Paida

• 14. Re: Data Roaming
    BMALACHUK Regular Visitor

Well apparently not. I have heard different things from different reps that I have spoken to or had emails with. Upon further review of my situation I discovered that it's quite possible that my excessive roaming data use came from the data profile on my phone needing to be reset. I looked up my call logs from back in Jan when i called and someone gave me the procedure to reset the profile and force an update of the PRL. I was having lag and drop outs with iheartradio at the time. The VERY next month my roaming data dropped 96% from ~9.5GB to 433MB, granted that is still not under the 300MB limit that I was unaware of, but it was a start. I basically received my first notification that something was wrong when I received a text saying my line was going to be terminated soon. That was about 2 weeks ago, and I am pretty sure that my data roaming has been nil or close to it since the beginning of April.

I missed a call from executive escalations today, and hopefully tomorrow will be able to connect with them and have the whole situation looked over. I have made it clear in my emails and conversations that had I been alerted to the problem via a text, call, or email I could have taken some action, brought my phone in to be checked out, whatever, but to get nothing until just before my line is going to be killed off is kinda ridiculous. Sending something in the mail this day and age is a bit silly when we get our bills, and just about everything else via email or online.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I'm unhappy with what I am going thru, it could have been avoided if better notification protocols were in place, and I hope that I can retain my line and can go back to being happy Sprint customer for another 10 years or more.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points