1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next 64 Replies Latest reply: Apr 2, 2013 3:33 PM by fireguy_6364 Go to original post RSS
  • 45. Re: No 4G on my new SAMSUNG GALAXY S3??
    W0MBAT Valued Member
    Currently Being Moderated

Facebook and YouTube both work fine with 3G on my SGS3.

• 46. Re: No 4G on my new SAMSUNG GALAXY S3??
    erioni Newbie

What??? So much for upgrading to S3 then. By the time Sprint has 4G LTE on my area there will probably be an S5 out. I guess I was better off with my S2 ?!?!

Thank you for the information! I wish I had read this before upgradiing.

• 47. Re: No 4G on my new SAMSUNG GALAXY S3??
    W0MBAT Valued Member

Sprint LTE is now LIVE in San Francisco and all over the Bay Area as well.

Screenshot_2012-10-07-18-06-47.jpg

PS:  Google "Monkey Brains" if you don't believe me...

• 48. Re: No 4G on my new SAMSUNG GALAXY S3??
    BRKNGLSS Newbie

If it were not for the outstanding customer service and true unlimited data, I would have left Sprint LOOOOOOONG time ago. Im so sick and tired of paying for service I dont get. I had the Epic before getting the Galaxy S3 and I can count on one hand the times Ive actually gotten 4g. I pay $10 a month for NOTHING! Now I have this amazing phone and cannot get on 4g until God knows when. I can barely use my phone at home for anything...not even calls. I live in DC.

Come on sprint, get it together please. Im two nerves from jumping ship to another carrier!!! *hope you read that*

• 49. Re: No 4G on my new SAMSUNG GALAXY S3??
    fireguy_6364 Master

the $10 fee isnt for 4G. its due to smart phones using alot more data than any dumb phone could ever use...if this werent the case then the iphone 4s wouldnt be paying this same fee...that phone is 3G only by the way..ditto with blackberries..

im in full agreement though that this couldnt come fast enough..i can deal with my current data speeds for the time being..but its not exactly something i can brag about

• 50. Re: No 4G on my new SAMSUNG GALAXY S3??
    Ripleycat Regular Visitor

Nice speeds!!!  In Houston and today I finally have 4g outside and inside my house for the first time.  Only getting 8 to 12 mbps inside but am not complaining. 

• 51. Re: No 4G on my new SAMSUNG GALAXY S3??
    TEXASFURY2 Newbie

There is 4G and LTE coverage going up.  The promote all the coverage, but yet provide none.

I went from having a 4G wonderful speed all the time on my EVO to this Samsung S3 so that I could drop back to the age of 3G.

Don't get me wrong, The screen is great the camera "wow", but OMG it takes forever to connect to anything on 3G there is NOOOO LTE coverage in my area yet.

I just don't think they should sell the phones in the area without that coverage unless they explain that your phone will be completely 3G for most of your contract obligation!

• 52. Re: No 4G on my new SAMSUNG GALAXY S3??
    W0MBAT Valued Member

What city and state do you live in?

It's been posted many times on this site and comes up on google as well: Sprint's 4G LTE network is not going to be completed until at least 2013.

In the meantime, markets that are announced as having (going to have) LTE will see SOME LTE signal, but no where near that of a fully functional/completed network due to testing, permits, licencing, etc that are all taking place at this time.

• 53. Re: No 4G on my new SAMSUNG GALAXY S3??
    fireguy_6364 Master

the old 4G wimax will continue to be up and running until some time in 2015 when they shut it down. no phone to date will run both wimax and LTE..just one or the other..there isnt much of a point in coming out with one that will run both if theyre shutting down the wimax anyways.

• 54. Re: No 4G on my new SAMSUNG GALAXY S3??
    fireguy_6364 Master

all the carriers do the same exact thing. verizon, at&t, tmobile all sell 4G capable phones in areas that dont actually have 4G..so this is nothing new..only big difference is sprint is the only one trying to upgrade ALL of their towers to 4G LTE..where the others are slowly but surely getting there...either way sprint will still be above them once this is done since they wont have to make any drastic changes if they decide to jump up to the next LTE greatness...(cant remember what its called but it will only take sprint adding a new chip compared to the other guys having to do what sprint is doing right now )

TEXASFURY2 wrote:

There is 4G and LTE coverage going up.  The promote all the coverage, but yet provide none.

I went from having a 4G wonderful speed all the time on my EVO to this Samsung S3 so that I could drop back to the age of 3G.

Don't get me wrong, The screen is great the camera "wow", but OMG it takes forever to connect to anything on 3G there is NOOOO LTE coverage in my area yet.

I just don't think they should sell the phones in the area without that coverage unless they explain that your phone will be completely 3G for most of your contract obligation!

• 55. Re: No 4G on my new SAMSUNG GALAXY S3??
    JILLR331 Regular Visitor

I'm glad I found this thread.  I do know the difference between 4g and 4gLTE.  I have the older Samsung Epic (basically first galaxy S phone) and do use the 4g speeds, have to sometimes.  I'm in St. Louis, MO and there is NO mention of 4gLTE in this area on any map, news release or thread I have found.  I want the new S3 very badly, but after doing a lot of reading, I believe it would be a step backwards because I'd only have 3g speed.  I do use wi-fi at home and other places, but at work our wi-fi is Rated G (can't even get on facebook), so am left to use regular ol data.  I guess I'll just wait for STL to get 4gLTE before I upgrade, but to mirror what someone else said, by that time the S4 or 5 will be out   Guess I'll stick with my old phone, just wish it had WAY more internal memory for apps and things that cannot be moved to the SD card.  SO slow and boggy because it's SO full.  I've considered switching to AT&T, but am caught in Sprint's unlimited data handcuffs...

• 56. Re: No 4G on my new SAMSUNG GALAXY S3??
    sprintinthismofo Valued Member

Dear jpfan

Both your WiMAX phones should do just fine

As long as sprint does.t shut their WiMAX towers down ....

If you get lucky to get lte service

Compare them both

Then decide to upgrade them .if it worth the premium

• 57. Re: No 4G on my new SAMSUNG GALAXY S3??
    ShindoKiani Regular Visitor

Also, Sprint is taking down some WiMax towers (cause some of them were unstable) and are replacing them with universal 4G (LTE included!) and 3G networks. Some people are becoming cynical of Sprint's coverage but I suggest while they have the unlimited plan (and since not all areas have LTE yet the price is low) It is the perfect time to get Sprint. I tested some LTE with my Note 2 and it's great! Definitely have a lot of hope for Sprint!

• 58. Re: No 4G on my new SAMSUNG GALAXY S3??
    JCP92308 Newbie

Funny I live in Sacramento, less the 90 miles from SF and we don't get jack for 4G LTE service. The $10 a month charge was for 4G service that why they considered it "premium data". I wasn't getting charged $10 a month when I had my blackberries for all those years and they were considered "Smart Phones". It was not until I upgraded to a 4G device the charge was implemented on my account. When we weren't getting 4G service Sprint was giving each of my lines a service credit of $10 due to our area NOT having 4G service at the time. So that comment is completely not true. I will be calling sprint about this again. I will not pay the $10 premium data charge for just 3G service. If I wanted just 4G service I would go to some other company like Metro PCS, Virgin Mobile or something. Completely astonished Sprint wasn't on top of this moving forward with there devices.

• 59. Re: No 4G on my new SAMSUNG GALAXY S3??
    fireguy_6364 Master

that $10 fee has only been going for a couple years now..if you'll notice even non 4G phones are getting this fee as well..any and all smart phones weather 4G or not get this fee..even the iphone 4S gets this fee and it isnt 4G capable..

and once they actually start NV work in sac i'll start thinking about jumping to the LTE bandwagon..until then im still holding out sinse im only in sac every couple of months anyways. to be honest i dont even use much of the old 4G wimax while im there anyways unless im at training and decide to watch a movie while on break/lunch

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...