This discussion is archived
1 2 3 4 Previous Next 51 Replies Latest reply: Sep 2, 2013 9:45 AM by YeOldeBuzzard Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: Windows Phone 7.8 for Arrive
    Venom01x Valued Member
    Currently Being Moderated

On top of all that, simply go to the Community section (towards the top of the page), Ratings and reviews select "smarthphones", then simply sort by highest rating.  Notice how the sole Windows Phone 7 device is the second highest rated phone Sprint has had in the past 4 years?  This is not just me, but people who use Windows Phone and actually take the time to learn the non iOS/Android system (lets face it Android was derived from iOS so those two go hand in hand), will yeild great results.  Its difficult for me to see that the second highest rated phone (I wont include anything with less than 100 reviews) Sprint has had even without the updates, has zero support.

• 16. Re: Windows Phone 7.8 for Arrive
    bobmc65 Regular Visitor

Your post, Venom01x, is entirely true - I could not agree more.  Sprint does not support WP7 users like the others, and it is a shame.  Disappearing keyboard is such an annoyance, esp. when you know a fix has been out forever.

No need to wait on WP 7.8 update, however, as I have the HTC Arrive and just updated it via a free tool I found out about this week:

http://www.windowsphonehacker.com/articles/want_windows_phone_7.8_now_try_this_easy_tool-01-31-13

It needs to run about 60 minutes in  total but it worked just fine and now I am running v7.10.8858.136 and it looks/functions superbly.  Why wait on Sprint for this update?  We are waiting on WP8 already...I've been a customer since 1998 but know that they will put WP users last in line around here - only their pricing (I have 5 lines) keeps me around.

I will be buying a WP8 handset the day they come out..."summer" is a bit vague, however, so I hope Sprint aims for Memorial Day and not Labor Day.

• 17. Re: Windows Phone 7.8 for Arrive
    bobmc65 Regular Visitor

Your post, Venom01x, is entirely true - I could not agree more.  Sprint does not support WP7 users like the others, and it is a shame.  Disappearing keyboard is such an annoyance, esp. when you know a fix has been out forever.

No need to wait on WP 7.8 update, however, as I have the HTC Arrive and just updated it via a free tool I found out about this week:

http://www.windowsphonehacker.com/articles/want_windows_phone_7.8_now_try_this_easy_tool-01-31-13

It needs to run about 60 minutes in  total but it worked just fine and now I am running v7.10.8858.136 and it looks/functions superbly.  Why wait on Sprint for this update?  We are waiting on WP8 already...I've been a customer since 1998 but know that they will put WP users last in line around here - only their pricing (I have 5 lines) keeps me around.

I will be buying a WP8 handset the day they come out..."summer" is a bit vague, however, so I hope Sprint aims for Memorial Day and not Labor Day.

• 18. Re: Windows Phone 7.8 for Arrive
    bobmc65 Regular Visitor

• 19. Re: Windows Phone 7.8 for Arrive
    bobmc65 Regular Visitor

• 20. Re: Windows Phone 7.8 for Arrive
    Venom01x Valued Member

Hi Bob.  If you get a chance, tell us which language packs you installed so that we can download the hack and circumvent Sprints lack of commitment.  As I understood it, if the wrong language pack were installed it would cause some issues.  Thanks in advance.  I will have to give this a try.   

• 21. Re: Windows Phone 7.8 for Arrive
    bobmc65 Regular Visitor

Venom, I only installed the 'English-United States' language pack and that was all.  24 hours later, still no issues with this update, which is good to report.

• 22. Re: Windows Phone 7.8 for Arrive
    Texans4ever Regular Visitor

My story is very similar to yours. I was a long time Sprint customer and a long time Windows Mobile/Phone user. When I couldn't get any answers to the question of updating the HTC Arrive past the 7720 build (Mango) after many attempts on the phone and emails, I finally decided that Sprint was not interested in providing me with the support that I was paying for.

In January 2013, I cancelled my 3 Sprint lines and moved on to Verizon where I could get a decent Windows Phone 8 device (without the disappearing keyboard).  My wife and I both now have the Nokia Lumia 822 and we love them.

We still have the two Arrives and I was curious as to whether they were going to get the 7.8 update.  I read online that someone contacted HTC and was told that it would not get the update.  That is when I looked for an alternate method and happily found a great one that worked like a charm.  Below is the link to the program but use it at your own risk.

By the way, I installed all of the available languages (select all) and didn't have any issues, although

I'm not really using them as phones any longer. My wife uses hers as an alarm clock and my daughter uses mine as an mp3 player, game player, and camera.

• 23. Re: Windows Phone 7.8 for Arrive
    GeorgeELMSNY Social Care

Venom01x,

Wow, well once again thank you very much for the feedback. I have followed all this information up.

You voice will be heard, I really appreciate your valued time and business with us.

If you need anything else, we're here!

Thank you,

George M.

Sprint Social Care Team

• 24. Re: Windows Phone 7.8 for Arrive
    BCALLEN44 Newbie

I thought I would add my voice to the call for Windows Phone 7.8.  I too am a long time Sprint Customer and the only time I have been disappointed in sprint is how they have handled the whole windows Phone issue (7.8 and 8). 

As long term customers all we are asking is for soem answers, when will 7.8 be available to us?  When will a Windows Phone 8 be available to us?  People become the most upset when a bussiness does not provide the answers to thier questions and just respond with vague answers like our politicians! 

Please do not come back with a general answer like "Sprint is evaluating the 7.8 update and will release it when the evaluation is complete" because that answer is just BS.

Thanks

• 25. Re: Windows Phone 7.8 for Arrive
    gveets Regular Visitor

Add me to the growing list of customers who are very dissappointed with Sprint's lack of Windows phones and support. What are they thinking? Two of my three lines are now out of contract and I will be moving them all to Verizon when the last line is out in June. I do like my Arrive, even with its occasioanally dissapearing keyboard, but I want a Nokia 920 with Windows Phone 8. I plan on making the move when it becomes available on Verizon. I have been a customer since 1999. 

• 26. Re: Windows Phone 7.8 for Arrive
    BCALLEN44 Newbie

8 days and no response, whats up?   This should not be a hard question.  ARe sprint users getting the 7.8 update or not!

Please respond!

• 27. Re: Windows Phone 7.8 for Arrive
    GeorgeELMSNY Social Care

BCALLEN44,

I do sincerely apologize for the delay in my response.

At this time we don't have answers for those questions. If we did, we would definitely share that information with you. One of our valued customers.

You can always check http://bit.ly/9ICD7K and http://bit.ly/mKtI6S for more product updates and press release information.

Thank you,

George M.

Sprint Social Care Team

• 28. Re: Windows Phone 7.8 for Arrive
    BCALLEN44 Newbie

"We don't have answers for those questions"  What kind of BS is that?  Sprint and everyone that works for sprint should be embarased by that non-answer. 

The answer should be easy;

Is sprint going to release windows Phone 7.8 update for the HTC Arrive?  Yes / No or Maybe?

If Yes - Then what is the expected release date?

If No - Then why not?

If Maybe - then why has sprint not yet made a decision? 

If the answer is no just tell us so that we can take our bussiness elsewhere.

Thank you,

Brian Callen, long time customer!

• 29. Re: Windows Phone 7.8 for Arrive
    gveets Regular Visitor

Not trying to defend Sprint here, but I would be surprised if any cellular provider would answer the question much differently. You just don't get straight answers to seemingly simple questions from these companies. But, since this is a really simple question, Sprint ought to know what the policy is by now - nearly one month after the update was released. So I must assume the answer is no. Which really torks me because providing the update is a simple thing and really the least Sprint can and should do. They owe me this for being a customer. Especially since I have been putting up with all of the dropped calls and slow data speeds during their network upgrades.

So Sprint, please read this article in this month's Forbes:

Denying Windows Phone Users WP 7.8 Is Short-Sighted And Will Weaken Relationships

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ewanspence/2013/02/03/denying-windows-phone-users-wp-7-8-is-short-sighted-and-will-weaken-relationships/

"Customers buying a handset have an implicit contract that they will be kept as up to date as possible. To have the network overrule the manufacturer, to overrule the operating system owners, and to weaken the eco-system is short sighted and ultimately weakens the networks themselves over the long run, pushing customers to buying SIM-free handsets with no network interference."

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...