1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next 63 Replies Latest reply: Jul 29, 2013 3:53 PM by scrapbookingmamaw Go to original post RSS
  • 45. Re: 1/30 - Galaxy Nexus Software Update - L700GA02 (Android 4.2.1)
    out-of-contract Valued Member
    Currently Being Moderated

I bit the bullet and updated, was getting annoyed with the constant system reminders.

Had a lot of problems after install finished. Email and Exchange were over 50% usage. Phone would get very hot on the top half of the screen. Battery died within an hour.

So I backed everything up and did a factory reset. Everything seems to be working fine. Exchange is now at 7% w/ push. When screen is on, top half of the phone still gets very warm. I hope this doesn't kill my battery. Time will tell

UPDATE: seems as if battery and perfrmance got better with each full charge. I can get though most of a day with heavy usage now on a samsung 2100mah extended battery (streaming Pandora on 4G, no wifi, push Exchange, push Yahoo and push Gmail, an hour of gaming, lots of texts, 30 mins voice, facebook, twitter, pinterest, web browsing)

top half of screen still gets warm during use, but gets warm and stays warm. It doesn't get scary hot like it did before.

• 46. Re: 1/30 - Galaxy Nexus Software Update - L700GA02 (Android 4.2.1)
    monicamiras Regular Visitor

I'm also having TOO MANY issues with this new update:

-phone overheats now

-the last word on a text message I send shows up on the (otherwise normally blank) text bar, so now I can't just send a text, because I have to erase random words

-battery life has started to rapidly decline -- I've had my phone charging since 7:30 pm (it's now 12:33 am) and so far, I have 5% battery! (this includes switching around 3 different cables, 2 different usb ports, and a computer and a wall plug)

When I got this phone, back in May of 2012, my battery life (without even touching it) would last about 20 minutes. I was essentially paying for an unusable phone...2 trips to my local Sprint store fixed nothing (oh, we can't do anything, here's your useless phone back, have a nice day), so I had to make about 4 different calls with 4 different tech people, which took out hour after hour off my day, because my phone had to be rebooted, looked at, blah blah.

I'm growing SO tired of this phone, and the lack of knowledge by Sprint costumer service! I LOVE paying for a phone that may, or may not work!

• 47. Re: 1/30 - Galaxy Nexus Software Update - L700GA02 (Android 4.2.1)
    EarlJman Newbie

I cannot even get this update to install. After successfully downloading, I click the Restart & Install button, and the install begins.  At about 80-90% through, I get the following error message:

"assert failed: apply_patch_check("EMMC:/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.0/by-name/radio:10748160:57e1d05cc633001740982b080811febc93b06a8c:10748160:3c15f0bec5380a3efa08837647c93804785798d8")

Installation aborted."

Customer service suggested I call Samsung, which I plan on doing tomorrow.  I also tried taking it in to a service center, but they did not even bother doing any diagnostic tests, but instead suggested I call Samsung like I was told over the phone.  I would appreciate some support from Sprint, since this is the update specific to the Sprint version Galaxy Nexus.

• 48. Re: 1/30 - Galaxy Nexus Software Update - L700GA02 (Android 4.2.1)

monicamiras wrote:

I'm also having TOO MANY issues with this new update:

-phone overheats now

-the last word on a text message I send shows up on the (otherwise normally blank) text bar, so now I can't just send a text, because I have to erase random words

-battery life has started to rapidly decline -- I've had my phone charging since 7:30 pm (it's now 12:33 am) and so far, I have 5% battery! (this includes switching around 3 different cables, 2 different usb ports, and a computer and a wall plug)

When I got this phone, back in May of 2012, my battery life (without even touching it) would last about 20 minutes. I was essentially paying for an unusable phone...2 trips to my local Sprint store fixed nothing (oh, we can't do anything, here's your useless phone back, have a nice day), so I had to make about 4 different calls with 4 different tech people, which took out hour after hour off my day, because my phone had to be rebooted, looked at, blah blah.

I'm growing SO tired of this phone, and the lack of knowledge by Sprint costumer service! I LOVE paying for a phone that may, or may not work!

- Does your phone turn off becuase it's so hot? What temp is the battery? If you don't know, download a battery meter with temp gauge.

- Your text message issues has nothing to do with the update. What SMS/MMS program are you using?

- take a screen shot of your batter usage before the phone dies, something is eating your battery and this should tell you what it is.

It's hard to believe the battery would last only 20 minutes. You need to take a few steps diagnose and find out exactly what is causing this problem. I'm sure it's an easy fix.

• 49. Re: 1/30 - Galaxy Nexus Software Update - L700GA02 (Android 4.2.1)

EarlJman wrote:

I cannot even get this update to install. After successfully downloading, I click the Restart & Install button, and the install begins.  At about 80-90% through, I get the following error message:

"assert failed: apply_patch_check("EMMC:/dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.0/by-name/radio:10748160:57e1d05cc633001740982b080811febc93b06a8c:10748160:3c15f0bec5380a3efa08837647c93804785798d8")

Installation aborted."

Customer service suggested I call Samsung, which I plan on doing tomorrow.  I also tried taking it in to a service center, but they did not even bother doing any diagnostic tests, but instead suggested I call Samsung like I was told over the phone.  I would appreciate some support from Sprint, since this is the update specific to the Sprint version Galaxy Nexus.

are you rooted by any chance? or have you tried rooting your phone in the past?

did you download and install OTA or via USB? Have you tried a factory reset before applying the udate?

• 50. Re: 1/30 - Galaxy Nexus Software Update - L700GA02 (Android 4.2.1)
    coasterphotos Bronze Expert

EarlJman wrote:

Installation aborted."

Sounds like the radio version on your phone doesn't match what the update is expecting. Have you modified your phone in any way? Make sure your baseband versions both show FH05 and your build version is FH05. If they don't, the update won't work.

• 51. Re: 1/30 - Galaxy Nexus Software Update - L700GA02 (Android 4.2.1)
    monicamiras Regular Visitor

My phone heats up to the point where it cannot be held anymore.

I'd love to download any apps to check the battery, but even when I accomplish a fully charged battery, my phone turns into a powerful heater, and I turn it off to stop it. I suppose that answers your question.

I took it in to the store, the guy did a battery test, and, duh, my phone failed it. He ordered me a new battery, which I will go pick up today, and which I hope solves my short batterym, and my new heating device issues.

I also noticed that, while my phone was turning on and off, and taking 16 hours to fully charge (and heat up), there was a HUGE spike in my data usage. I have a warning set up, in case I happen to go over 2.0GB, and while it was freaking out, it went over 2.8GB. I checked the stats, and it showed that my email had been used at 100% full bar, which is odd, because I wasn't even able to use my phone, and I hadn't even gone into the email app that day.

I'm turning it on for a few, and turning it off mostly, until I get the new battery, because it just overheats too much. And yes, the first week of having this phone, the battery would only last 20 minutes. I had to go to San Francisco for 3 days, and my phone would be charged in the room, I'd unplug it, go downstairs, walk into a restaurant for breakfast, and that's where it'd pretty much die, if I didn't find a plug to charge it with.

**UPDATE**

Got a new battery, phone still heats up, I've had it plugged in to charge, and it actually dwindles down, instead of charging up. So frustrating. Will take it in tomorrow, so they can wipe everything off and do a reboot...

• 52. Re: 1/30 - Galaxy Nexus Software Update - L700GA02 (Android 4.2.1)

monicamiras wrote:

My phone heats up to the point where it cannot be held anymore.

I'd love to download any apps to check the battery, but even when I accomplish a fully charged battery, my phone turns into a powerful heater, and I turn it off to stop it. I suppose that answers your question.

I took it in to the store, the guy did a battery test, and, duh, my phone failed it. He ordered me a new battery, which I will go pick up today, and which I hope solves my short batterym, and my new heating device issues.

I also noticed that, while my phone was turning on and off, and taking 16 hours to fully charge (and heat up), there was a HUGE spike in my data usage. I have a warning set up, in case I happen to go over 2.0GB, and while it was freaking out, it went over 2.8GB. I checked the stats, and it showed that my email had been used at 100% full bar, which is odd, because I wasn't even able to use my phone, and I hadn't even gone into the email app that day.

I'm turning it on for a few, and turning it off mostly, until I get the new battery, because it just overheats too much. And yes, the first week of having this phone, the battery would only last 20 minutes. I had to go to San Francisco for 3 days, and my phone would be charged in the room, I'd unplug it, go downstairs, walk into a restaurant for breakfast, and that's where it'd pretty much die, if I didn't find a plug to charge it with.

**UPDATE**

Got a new battery, phone still heats up, I've had it plugged in to charge, and it actually dwindles down, instead of charging up. So frustrating. Will take it in tomorrow, so they can wipe everything off and do a reboot...

The battery, itself, should not cause the drain. You have a services and/or process that is eating up your phone's resources and causing the battery drain.

Try turning off: NFC, GPS, Bluetooth, Google Location Services and WiFi. Turn them on as you need. This helped with my battery life..

You can do the wipe yourself, no need to go into the store. Just make sure you back up everything you have saved on the phone becuase this will permanetly delete everything. Once everything is backed up and your battery is more than 30% charged, go to Settings> Backup & Reset > Factory data reset

Once reset, you will have to set up everything on your phone, log back into all your email and social media accounts. You can go to www.play.google.com/store to redownload apps to your phone, or you can fo to the Play Store app on your phone.

Hope this helps!

• 53. Re: 1/30 - Galaxy Nexus Software Update - L700GA02 (Android 4.2.1)
    CaMelGuY1337 Regular Visitor

The reason your phone is discharging while on the charger is simple. Once the battery teaches 120° Android prevents any further charging as to avoid battery swelling. The hottest my Nexus has gotten... battery - 127° / CPU - 140°. Sprint has basically said to me..."oh well, you're just gonna have to deal with it." This after I've been with them for nearly a decade, converted most of my friend to 2 year postpaid customers and been through 5 of this phone since April. They said I could move to an LG Viper, Samsung Victory or HTC Desire and that was my only option. They say those are comparable devices to the G'Nex. I don't think I've ever laughed so hard in my life. In what universe do those compare? The only thing that makes them comparable is the fact that they're all phones. I won't off this abomination of a network and out of my contact. T-Mobile is cheaper and actually have 4G in my city. Matter of fact, Sprint is the only carrier in my city not to have 4G. I'm tired of all the excuses and hearing "4G is coming". Data speeds are so bad everywhere I go, they should rename to Sprint... The Next Week Network.

• 54. Re: 1/30 - Galaxy Nexus Software Update - L700GA02 (Android 4.2.1)

With the update my phone deff runs warm on the top half of the screen, but no that hot.

I've also been with Sprint for roughly 10 years and the only reason I'm still with them is because of a 27% discount and LTE recently rolled out in Boston. I'm constantly getting 15mbps down and 7Mbps up at home and at work. Tethering has been great also.

Otherwise, I would have a Nexus 4 right now.

• 55. Re: 1/30 - Galaxy Nexus Software Update - L700GA02 (Android 4.2.1)
    Masquerader Newbie

I am having the same problem since updating to 4.2.1. My battery will last about half a day with minimal use. Games that were running fine like Candy Crush now have such a lag that they are barely playable. Launching app, goolge search/now and getting results to return take forever when on 4.1 they were lighting fast. Sometimes killing certain apps/tasks will speed the phone back up for a little while, but not for long. It's like project butter is completely gone from the phone. I'm pretty close to just going back to 4.1 until this stupid version gets fixed. I liked my phone then, not it is only slightly faster than my old Evo 4g.

• 56. Re: 1/30 - Galaxy Nexus Software Update - L700GA02 (Android 4.2.1)

backup your device and do a full factory data wipe.

this will solve your problems.

ps: it's always good practice to backup and do a fresh install of any app/firmware/software.

• 57. Re: 1/30 - Galaxy Nexus Software Update - L700GA02 (Android 4.2.1)

You obliviously have no idea what you're talking about. The issues we are talking about are inside of 4.2.1, they were wide spread amongst Nexus devices, not too mention if you had read the thread before posting you would have seen that many have done a factory reset without any luck of "solving the problem" as you put it. This is one of the reasons they pushed out 4.2.2 so quickly in comparison to other OS updates, Google knew of the problem and fixed it. I'm on a Nexus 4 now with 4.2.2 and haven't had one issue so far. Since Google DOES NOT maintain the software for the Sprint variant of the Galaxy Nexus, I hope Samsung and Sprint decide to push it out to you guys soon. When I was using the Sprint G'Nex with 4.2.1 I counted over 30 random reboots with or without factory resetting the device and the device reached temps over 135 degrees...the hottest being 140 degrees. That was due to the poor radio selection made for the handset and Sprints abysmal network. Either way....the cdma variants Galaxy Nexus were & always will be a disappointment. My suggestion....buy an unlocked Nexus from Google and choose the gsm carrier you want to be on. I'm now on T-Mobile and loving it, the fastest speed test so far was 3362.6 kB/s. The speed never goes under roughly 8Mbps, which is plenty fast to stream HD YouTube, Amazon MP3 & just about anything with having to buffer.

• 58. Re: 1/30 - Galaxy Nexus Software Update - L700GA02 (Android 4.2.1)

CaMelGuY1337 you crack me up! I litereally laughed out loud after reading your response. Thank you for that.

My response was to Masquerader - a full wipe should definitely help with his BATTERY woes. Like I said, it has helped me and EVERYONE I know with a Sprint version of this phone AFTER updating.

And how does your rant, at all, help him solve his problem?

I have no idea what I'm talking about? Who's the TMo troll lurking on the Sprint forums?

BTW, I get a constant 15Mbps down and 7-8Mbps up on Sprint's network. Also no problems tethering my laptop streaming full HD video

• 59. Re: 1/30 - Galaxy Nexus Software Update - L700GA02 (Android 4.2.1)

OK, glad to hear you're one of the fortunate few to actually get an LTE signal. Also, I'm no where near a Tmo troll, I became a customer 1 1/2 weeks ago...I was with Sprint for 7 1/2 years with the service getting worse and worse by the day. I got tired of all the lies and empty promises and am simply telling people there's better options than Sprint. Tmo LTE network is rocking 50 - 60 Mbps...so there's that and is supposed to be turned on at the end of March with it covering their entire network by the end of the year. Sprint is and always will be joke carrier, the sad thing is... it didn't used to be this bad. Not to mention, getting truly unlimited everything for $76 a month after tax is way better than anything Sprint offers. Anyway, no you don't know what type talking in this case.... Google themselves acknowledge the reboot issue no matter if the device was reset because of the coding bug. It may not be this way for all 4.2.1 ROMs but when it comes to Google's 4.2.1 it does.