12 Replies Latest reply: Jun 12, 2013 4:35 PM by cjr037 RSS

Sprint Phone Connect doesn't alert to voice mail messages.

unhappyBOB86ZZ4 Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

Have had problems with it from the beginning. It worked in the first few days. Then I realized it wasn't giving me waiting message alerts (no blinking light and no broken dial tone on pickup). I've spent lots of time on the tech support line with Sprint trying to get it working. They always tell me to unplug it, take the battery out, remote update, take to Sprint service center for updating, dial *34000000#, etc.... Whenever I do their steps it starts working properly for a few days and then at some point stops alerting again. One of the techs said I needed to call it and leave a message, then retrieve the message, and then delete it. He said this would "synchronize" the device so it would work properly. I asked him if I needed to do that every day then since I have no idea when it stops telling me there are messages? He realized that was kind of a dumb thing to tell me then. I always end the call retrieving my messages by pushing the "*" button too. That's what I do on my Sprint cell phone and figured I should on the Phone Connect too. One of the techs on one of my many calls told me to do that. I told him I always have done that. I finally decided it's time to quit playing around. They told me to call another number and talk to them about returning it under warranty. I called there and he said to send it in. It's packed up and going to the post office tomorrow. So, now I've got no home phone service. Great. I sure hope they get it fixed or replaced. I see they are now selling a different looking unit. I wonder if the new ones have the same problems? Anybody else have this problem? Did they get it fixed? I did some searches and found some old posts but nothing recent about this. Maybe there should be a forum section for Phone Connect threads?

• 1. Re: Sprint Phone Connect doesn't alert to voice mail messages.
    Dutchie Sprint Employee

- unhappyBOB86ZZ4 Ouch, are you returning the device to get ir replaced? If that does not help we can internally escalate it here without you needing to call every time

- Mark

Social Media Care

• 2. Re: Sprint Phone Connect doesn't alert to voice mail messages.
    dshoem01 Gold Expert

There is a forum for Sprint Phone Connect.  Do you have the original device or the Sprint Phone Connect 2?  Let me know and I'll move this thread to the appropriate forum for you.

• 3. Re: Sprint Phone Connect doesn't alert to voice mail messages.

Sorry I didn't put the version in. It's the first generation I guess. The one tech guy at the service center claimed this is the "updated" first generation. He said they had problems with the first "first" ones that came out and mine is (according to him) "better" than that one. I told him there's still problems. I shipped it to the repair/replace place they told me to. I can't remember the exact name of it but it was three letters, something like PCD or something. And it is on Motor Parkway in Hauppauge, NY. I enclosed a nice letter detailing my problems with it. Let's hope they just replace it with the 2nd generation.

Thanks dshoem01. I couldn't find my way around these forums too good. It would be good to move this to the Sprint Phone Connect section. I'll try to find that section I guess. Might have to wait for somebody to reply to it there so I get a e-mail with the link.

• 4. Re: Sprint Phone Connect doesn't alert to voice mail messages.
    I_care Social Care

unhappyBOB6ZZ4,

Thank you for the update. Please keep us filled in on what you recieve and how it is working out for you.

You are always welcome to post questions regarding any Sprint device under this forum. We in social care will answer any questions you have.

Thank you

*Stephanie

• 5. Re: Sprint Phone Connect doesn't alert to voice mail messages.

They sent me a new (different? guessing this is a refurbished one because it's the first gen and they don't make those anymore) unit. I'm pretty sure it's not the same one I sent in because I had to call Sprint to get this one activated and the tech had me tell her the e.s.n. on this unit and said it's different than the one that showed up on my acct. It's been working for 2 days now and so far it's given me notice of messages waiting. We'll see if it keeps working.

• 6. Re: Sprint Phone Connect doesn't alert to voice mail messages.
    Dutchie Sprint Employee

-unhappyBOB86ZZ$ thank you for the update. Service and repair replacement are usually refurbished. Good to hear you are issue free so far, please let us know if that changes.

- Mark

Social Media Care

• 7. Re: Sprint Phone Connect doesn't alert to voice mail messages.

Well, the plot thickens. It worked for about 2 days. Then it stopped alerting me to awaiting voice mail messages again. So I called up Sprint and got ahold of Jeannette. She was very nice and of coarse went through all the troubleshooting with me. I told her I've done all that and even sent the unit back and got a refurb and same problems. She said okay, take it to the Sprint store and tell them to exchange it under the 14 day rule since this refurb is less than 14 days in service. I told her they're not going to welcome me at the Sprint store and happily exchange it. I knew they don't have any 1st gens left. She said she would note in the computer to have them exchange for a 2nd gen. I packed it all back in the original box and went to the store. He said, hahahahahahaah. Nope, can't do that. I told him look at my account, Jeannette said to exchange it. They said, "no." One of their techs came out and snoop and I told him the problem. He said, "oh, hook it back up and dial ##786#. That will fix it. Or dial **61#. I said, "oh sure, I've been on the phone with Sprint's top techs about 187 times in the last 3 months and nobody has ever told me to try those numbers." He said that's what he'd do. So, I left the store and called back Sprint and they put their top tech on the line. He told me, "oh no no no, don't dial ##786#, that's for the 2nd Gen device." He said yes to the **61#. He said since I'm having the same issues with two different devices it doesn't sound like a device problem. He thinks it is a network problem or something. He said hook it back up and dial that **61#. I did that yesterday and so far I've called it bunches of times from my cell phone and left a message. Every time it's alerted me to the waiting message. I delete that one and awhile later I call home again and leave a message. 24 hours now and it's worked. Hhhhhmmmmmmm. Where the heck did this **61# info come from all of a sudden? I did call back the store that had given me that ##786# faulty info and told him what Sprint's best tech had told me. He said, okay, he'll try to remember that. Hahahahahaahahaha. Sure he will.

• 8. Re: Sprint Phone Connect doesn't alert to voice mail messages.

So, it worked for three days. Then it quit telling me I had messages waiting, AGAIN. I called tech support and their top tech got on the line. He told me to take the battery out and unplug the power cord. That will reset it. HAhhahahahahahah. I've done that about 29 times. I told him that. He said, "I'm going to do a system restart on this end, that's never been done before." Liar!! They all read down the same screen of trouble shooting steps for crying out loud. I tried to explain to him that this is going to make it work for about 1-2 days. He said, "oh, then let me start a trouble ticket for the network, they'll have a tech check the network and find out why it isn't working." I said, "how come it's taken 3 months and 134 calls to tech support to figure this out?" He made me hang on the line for about 15 minutes while he was probably playing freecell and then he gave me a long "ticket number." He said they would call me in 72 hours to tell me what they've found out. Why is this so difficult for them? There's something wrong. Am I the only one that has this problem? I tend to believe it's something on Sprint's end since it's doing the exact same thing with two different devices. I know I don't get very good Sprint signal in my house. I've got steel siding and an aluminum roof. My cell phone only works well when I'm near a window. Could this be doing this because it's getting a low signal strength? Why did they quit making the Gen 1 and come out with the Gen 2? Problems with the voice mail indications on the Gen 1? Aaaaarrrrrggggghhhhhhhh!!!!!

• 9. Re: Sprint Phone Connect doesn't alert to voice mail messages.

Well, I've made about 36 more calls to tech support. Still no solution. One of the calls the girl says, "oh, I can do something that nobody else has done yet, I can toggle the voice mail system from here, that will fix it." Ha! Ya sure. I told her to go ahead and toggle away. That didn't work either. Yesterday I got ahold of another tech. He went through the previous 348 entries into my record and said, "oh, I'm going to download a fix for it. You'll have to go through and re-apply your voice mail preferences as if setting up new voice mail." So what's new about that? I've had to do that a ton of times. I told him go ahead if it'll make you happy because I'm pretty sure it's not going to make it work. Apparently he did something because I did have to re-enter my voice mail stuff (pass code and how I want the device to answer calls either my voice or the computer general greeting). I did that. Then waited a bit and called it from my cell phone and left a message. HA! It didn't even tell me that message was waiting. Usually I would get alerts for about 3 days. Looks like we're going the wrong way. Good job Sprint. He said he'll call me back this evening to see if his "fix" cured the problem. At least I won't have to wait 3 days to tell them it doesn't work.

• 10. Re: Sprint Phone Connect doesn't alert to voice mail messages.
    JPWHITECAR3 Newbie

I have the same problem.  I believe it is their computer server is the problem,  and also an EPROM which is a chip inside the device that is not correctly pinging the server to request the voicemail status.  I had vonage before and it was a much better service.  Vonage would also send me an email with the voicemail attached every time I got a voicemail. I got suckered into getting this sprint connect when I upgraded my cell phone.

• 11. Re: Sprint Phone Connect doesn't alert to voice mail messages.

So, I had to make about 100 more phone calls to Sprint and sent the unit back twice! to pcd. Each time they sent me a different Gen 1 unit. It would work for a couple days and then quit telling me there were messages. After another 100 calls I finally got "Tracy in Oklahoma" to agree to switch it to a Gen 2 unit and see if that solves the problem. She couldn't send me one though because Sprint wouldn't allow that. She was able to get the nearest service center (10 miles, I've driven there plenty of times to have my Gen 1 updated with the latest and greatest software) to agree to make the switch for me. I went there and Edward was actually very good to deal with. He looked in the computer at my account and said he would exchange it for me. About 15 minutes and lots of computer keystrokes later, I went and plugged the Gen2 unit into a wall outlet and plugged my phone ( I know to bring my own corded handset with since they never have one there to test it with). I called it from my cell phone and left it a message. The light started blinking to tell me there is a message! Ya, big deal, the Gen1 always did that for a couple days. Well it's been 12 days now and it's still working. Can you believe that? Every day I call it from my cell phone and leave a message and it's always worked. This is simply amazing. It's worked for twice as long as any of the three Gen1's I had. It has only taken me 6 months, 3684 calls to customer service, 2 units mailed to pcd (thereby being without home phone service for about 2 weeks each time) several drives to two different service centers, endless aggravation with SPRINT!!!!!, But, it's been working almost two weeks now. Do you think it will keep working? Does anybody think I would recommend a Sprint Phone Connect to a friend?! Hahahahahaahahaahah.

• 12. Re: Sprint Phone Connect doesn't alert to voice mail messages.
    cjr037 Newbie

I am having problems with my voicemail on my Sprint Connect also...different problem though.  About a week ago, the voicemail indicator started blinking and my phone says I have a message and there is the quick dial tone indicating a voicemail when I use the receiver.  However - the voicemail says there are no messages!  Arrgh.  I have been on with a tech for a long time, resetting, calling from different phones, leaving messages, resetting again, on and on.  Finally they told me I need to bring it to a store.  People can leave a voicemail message and it will be on there but it always blinks and indicates a voicemail on the telephone even when there isn't a message.  So annoying to hear that fast dial tone whenever I use the phone when there isn't even a message there. 

By the way...what is with the Sprint voice mail service anyway??  My cell phone and Sprint Connect both say I have no recorded name or message but there is no option to record one??

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points