1 2 3 5 Previous Next 61 Replies Latest reply: Apr 18, 2014 8:48 PM by SprintCare RSS

Samsung Galaxy S2 Power Button Broken After Recent Update

sandaba Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

My power button seems to have short-circuited after a recent update pushed through a couple of days ago. It was working fine immediately after the update, then around early evening the phone started turning on and off by itself, draining the battery and then (i think) short-circuiting my power button. Now the only way I can turn on the phone is unplugging the phone from the charger or taking out and putting the battery back in. Sometimes the screen turns on by itself, but I can't make it turn on voluntarily (except as mentioned before). I took it to the Sprint repair store, but because I have a crack across from screen (which was from months ago and the phone had been working perfectly following the crack), I was informed that they weren't allowed to try to repair it. =( The only options they gave me was an early upgrade where I pay $175 and then the price of whichever phone I buy.

I've factory resetted the phone, as well as left the battery out overnight a couple of times. None of which has helped. I've also tried calling outside repair shops and they indicate that they may or may not be able to fix it, but will certainly charge me to just look at it.

I don't have insurance and I'm past the 1 year warranty provided by Samsung. Samsung offered to try to repair the phone, but they would charge at least $165 because they HAVE to repair my cracked screen. I just want the power button fixed so I can use my phone. I don't care too much for having the screen fixed since it works fine with the crack. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I would love to keep the phone, but if there are no good fixes, I might just early terminate as my contract is up in November. Thanks for any help...

• 1. Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 Power Button Broken After Recent Update
    sandaba Regular Visitor

i hear crickets...

Sprint Social Care Team: is this a lost cause? if so, can i at least get my ETF waived or reduced? =(

• 2. Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 Power Button Broken After Recent Update
    allgood Social Care

sandaba,

Thanks for posting and I'm sorry you're having issues with the device. Has anyone definitively concluded by examining the device that the power button was short circuited by the software update? Please let us know.

Andrew B.

Sprint Social Care

• 3. Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 Power Button Broken After Recent Update
    sandaba Regular Visitor

Hi Andrew,

Unfortunately, when I brought it to the Sprint store, they told me that they're not allowed to bring it to the repairmen in the back because of a Sprint policy that won't let them take apart a phone with a cracked screen. So no, no one has given me the definitive answer that it was short-circuited by the software update because no one will look at my phone at Sprint or at other stores (without charging me a price). But I can say for sure that these problems with my phone - the turning on and off and the power button not being responsive did not occur until after I updated it to FL24 earlier this week.

Please help. Thanks.

• 4. Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 Power Button Broken After Recent Update
    allgood Social Care

sandaba,

Thanks for responding. I do want to help you, why do you want to leave if we are offering to accelerate your upgrade by completing the subsidy on the device? That option is more expensive than the options you've stated but it will get you into a brand new device of your choosing.The only option that I can see that would be at parity or slightly more than the cost of the options you stated is purchasing a preowned device from Sprint due to having no insurance and outside the manufacturer's warranty. Please let me know your thoughts on this.

Andrew B.

Sprint Social Care

• 5. Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 Power Button Broken After Recent Update
    sandaba Regular Visitor

Hi Andrew,

I don't believe I should have to pay an early upgrade fee of $175 for a new device when the reason for having to early upgrade is a software malfunction from an update from Sprint. It would in actuality be cheaper for me to pay the ETF of $160 and then sign up with another service provider that may provide me with better service than Sprint, since Sprint doesn't seem to be doing a good job of remedying errors that its updates cause.

As for not having insurance... should I need insurance to protect me against errors caused by Sprint? I'm sure you must understand the frustration in all of this.

• 6. Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 Power Button Broken After Recent Update
    SprintArgoYourself Newbie

Sandaba,

Mate I'm with you on this 100%.

I'm facing the same issue. Did you get it fixed if yes please let me know what you did.

I actually went to 4 different store and all they saying is pay $50 and get a refurbished phone or pay early termination $180 to cancel the service with sprint.

• 7. Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 Power Button Broken After Recent Update
    sandaba Regular Visitor

Sadly no... no one was able to offer any real help. I've left sprint and am now just waiting to pay my early term fee. Good luck to you!

• 8. Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 Power Button Broken After Recent Update
    KRISKC1 Newbie

I'm having the same issue with my phone.  I bought mine through Best Buy and I took the original in and they replaced it.  I've had the new one not even a week and it has started doing the same thing.  The lock screen flashes off and on, the "off" button will not work and the phone reboots itself, sometimes as many as 6 times in a row.

I have a brand new battery, so I know that is not the issue either.

It seems that since I've had 2 phones do this within a weeks time, that it is a software problem and not the actual phone.

I've been on several websites and a lot of people are complaining about this problem, why is nothing being done to address it?

• 9. Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 Power Button Broken After Recent Update
    mentja50 Newbie

I have the same issue! The power button just started malfunctioning on Saturday and now my phone rarely even holds a charge. What happened?!?!?

• 10. Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 Power Button Broken After Recent Update

Mentja50 did you install the recent network optimizer update on your phone pushed by sprint ?

If that's the case welcome to the club.

your options at this point are pretty much what I mentioned in my previous post.

$50 for a refurbished phone or if you have an insurance on your current phone sprint will give you a brand new phone.

Many people out there are complaining about this problem and root cause for it is network optimizer update which sprint recently pushed to our devices.

Sprint won't admit to it and is blaming samsung for the problem.

And I had horrible experience with sprint on this particular issue just like sandaba.

Currently waiting for my contract to end so that I can get out of sprint. Worst customer service ever.

For one week they couldn't track my replacement phone.Sprint store where I ordered my replacement phone said call sprint customer care and you know how customer cares are.

When I called they just keep giving my order number as tracking number which is pretty funny.

Store received my phone on Friday but when I went there on Saturday evening I was told that they haven't received my phone yet. All I got is run around from store to customer care and vice versa but finally after 8 days I got my replacement phone after arguing with store and customer care associates for hours and hours.

For Battery do a simple test take it out and see it its swollen. Put it on even surface like a table or counter top and try spinning it. If its swollen it will out of shape and will spin on even surface which is a sign that your battery is gone. and you need a new one.

• 11. Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 Power Button Broken After Recent Update
    KJDUBEA10 Newbie

my phone is having the exact same problem it just started yesterday the phone has never been dropped or damaged other then a few scratches and i called sprint and was basically told oh well there's nothing we can do for you i've been a sprint customer for 10+ years now but i have to say verizon is looking pretty good right now i've got the warranty on mine but they still want me to pay to have it fixxed for there ***** up it's outragous the way they treat customers.

• 12. Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 Power Button Broken After Recent Update

Looks like everybody is waiting to get out of Sprint.

Not surprised with the kind of service they have and the way they treat their customers 

• 13. Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 Power Button Broken After Recent Update
    BarwarzBaz Newbie

Count me among those being affected by this. At first, I thought I was going mad; that this was some crazy problem with the battery like others have, but then one day about 2 weeks ago, the issue FIXED ITSELF. Just like that! And my phone was back to being the great device I have known it to be. And then, just four days ago, it happened once again, and its back to the same ****** loop everyone else here is reporting:

• With the screen active, the power button does NOT turn the screen how, no matter how many times you press it
    • If you long press the power button, you do not get any power control options (Turn Off/Airplan Mode/Silence/etc)
    • The only way to get the phone to get to a lock screen is to let is go to sleep, then put it on USB charge to awaken it
    • Every 15-20 minutes, the power options appear out of the blue and then 5 or so seconds later, the phone soft reboots

What the ****, Sprint?

• 14. Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 Power Button Broken After Recent Update
    HIRENDAS Newbie

And it just happened to me as well.  The phone has never been dropped or damaged and I have been  a sprint customer for over 9 years now.

1 2 3 5 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points