This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 14 Replies Latest reply: May 20, 2013 11:43 AM by fireguy_6364 RSS

HTC Evo loses 3G data connection

GJP73 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Has anyone lost their 3G data connection? I seem to lose mine once a week for hours at a time unless I restart my phone. I hate this and I know it has happened to other EVO users but I was wondering if anyone knew why?

• 1. Re: HTC Evo loses 3G data connection
    fireguy_6364 Master

is your "enable always-on mobile demand" checked?

settings-wireless and networks-mobile networks..bottom.

if it IS checked then by chance do you know anyone else near you that is rolling a sprint phone? and are they having the same issues?

• 2. Re: HTC Evo loses 3G data connection
    GJP73 Newbie

It is checked.

Both mine and my girlfriends phone both have the same issues, both at different times, and typically it doesn't matter where we are. We travel el a lot for work, so it just doesn't happen where we live. Sprint says nothing is wrong, but something has to be messed up.

• 3. Re: HTC Evo loses 3G data connection
    fireguy_6364 Master

could be a couple different things..

first thing to check..are both your phones on the same account?

secondly...post the zip code(s) that you see the issues the most...if its within a general area post cross streets as well..no personal info though..a business address would work too

• 4. Re: HTC Evo loses 3G data connection
    GJP73 Newbie

No. Different plans.

zip is 55415, but it happens everywhere - it happens in that zip and plenty of other places, too. I have looked up the zip and called Sprint and they don't have any service issues. I think it is something wrong with the phone, but I don't get any support from Sprint.

• 5. Re: HTC Evo loses 3G data connection
    fireguy_6364 Master

i havent had any issues with my phone losing its connection..

1-is "always on mobile demand" checked? settings-wireless and networks-mobile networks-all the way at the bottom.

2- have you tried any of the usual tricks? pull the battery for about 2 minutes...throw it back in and update your profile and prl...then wait and see if it happens again.

• 6. Re: HTC Evo loses 3G data connection
    willitwrk Newbie

I've had the same problem too. In the Maryland suburbs to DC, I lose the connection for hours recently where I used to get it fairly consistently. I first I thought it was a temporary down time for the system. It will usually come back if I reboot the phone now. Could it be a memory issue on the phone? The only thing I have changed recently is a couple of apps.

• 7. Re: HTC Evo loses 3G data connection
    tlemoigne Newbie

3G drops out here in Phoenix. I reboot the EVO.

• 8. Re: HTC Evo loses 3G data connection
    fireguy_6364 Master

doubt it. it could be that the tower you normally connect to is having issues but not enough of an issue to pop a red flag on sprints side..so youre either failing to get a data connection because of that or its passing you off onto another tower that is over capacity with people.

then again it could be that the phone keeps locking on to a tower that is much further away..power cycling the phone makes it re search out a new connection which would answer why you get a connection back again. it jumped to a better tower..

• 9. Re: HTC Evo loses 3G data connection
    Roblsmith3 Newbie

Same thing happens to me in the Raleigh, NC area 27607. Personally I think it has to do with having a battery saving app such as Juice Defender. I turnoff my phone and restart and it returns no problem. It tends to happen when you leave your phone on for about a week. I hope this helps.

• 10. Re: HTC Evo loses 3G data connection
    icetaketheshotorclear1 Newbie

same thing happens to me also.. over the last 7 days I have been in New Orleans, Las Vegas, Dallas, Rosemont, IL, and my normal territory is Southern Cal... I spoke with a tech support person in November because I was fed up with the phone as was looking for a refurb.  I was told by this individual that the last update that was pushed to all EVO 4Gs caused the problem and they do not have a fix.  I was given the option of spending $100 to upgrade early and then pay $199 plus tax on $599 to upgrade to the EVO 4G LTE?????  ***?????  I am waiting for my contract to end in May and switching carriers. 

• 11. Re: HTC Evo loses 3G data connection
    tluc Regular Visitor

This has been happening to my Sprint evo phone also - about 1-2x a week. Mobile network is on but disconnected. I have to reboot or sometimes turn off then back on. Spoke to sprint who told me it is probably a hardware issue (i kind of doubt that). Note that I'm using evo LTE phone, and 4G, so i don't think upgrade to evo 4G resolves the issue!!

• 12. Re: HTC Evo loses 3G data connection
    Braaainz Regular Visitor

Its been happening to me lately. It seems tower specific. I supposedly have a 3g signal, but data isn't working. If I leave my area and go to a different tower's zone, it works again.

I think either the tower has issues, or more likely, Sprint is prioritizing traffic .

• 13. Re: HTC Evo loses 3G data connection
    fireguy_6364 Master

yours is more than likely network related. if it were phone related you wouldnt be picking up a signal anywhere.

hop over into the network and coverage forum and post your zip code and the closest cross streets to where you see the data loss...no physical addresses.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/community/buzzaboutwireless/network-and-coverage?view=discussions&start=0

• 14. Re: HTC Evo loses 3G data connection
    jlandry117 Regular Visitor

Same problem here in Rochester, NY.  I can get data in surrounding towns but absolutely nothing were I live.  Worked fine for years and just suddenly stopped, been dealing with it for a month now.  Sprint claims there's nothing wrong with towers and since there are no 'open' tickets there must not be anything wrong!  They keep blaming it on spotty coverage but my upload speeds have not been impacted!  Constantly getting the run-a-round from them, completely useless customer service.  This is affecting 3 different EVO devices on my account - Original EVO, EVO Design and the Shift.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points