This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 23 Replies Latest reply: Mar 27, 2013 5:38 PM by FireyFate RSS

What is the Premium Data Charge for again?

Gracie714 Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

I had an HTC Hero and when I upgraded to the Samsung Galaxy S2 4G, I began receiving this charge.  Was this for the 4G?  I live in Indianapolis and we've never had 4G and now that Sprint is supposedly rolling it out my "4G" phone isn't going to work on it.  So what exactly have I been paying for?  I would like an honest answer to this question.  Sprint has never provided ME 4G in the 4 years and 2 "4G" phones, it has been promised.

Like many people have said on these boards, I'm also going to T-Mobile.  My data usage shows that 500mb is more than I use and even if I choose to use more by tethering my other devices that they allow with their included Smartphone Mobile Hotspot, I'll just pay the $10 more for the 2Gigs.  After 14 years, boy you sure realize how trapped you are with Sprint.  But I've got an escape plan.  I've been absolutely astounded at how this company has changed.  You call them to complain about how they've cheated you and basically all they tell you is "sucks to be you! haha!"

• 1. Re: What is the Premium Data Charge for again?
    kbelly23 Social Care

Gracie714

This is a great question and I will be more than happy to assist. The premium data charge was created for customers who purchase or use a smartphone; this is not added because of 4G or LTE. The charge is for the software that is used by the smartphone. This did begin back in 2011; let me know if you have any further questions/concerns about this.

Thanks,

Krishel

Social Care

• 2. Re: What is the Premium Data Charge for again?
    ReallyBigfamei Valued Member

The 10 dollar charge is for the privledge of having a smartphone with 4G. But if you were in a area that never got 4G. The 10 dollar charge was used as a hostage if you wanted a smartphone.

3G is slow, they dumped wimax, and went to LTE. I know when I bought my epic. Which renewed my contract. I was quite ****** that they decided to go to LTE. And dumping the Wimax 4G rollout.

And when they tell you that LTE for you isn't going to be til the 4th quarter. Maybe even 2014. You do feel a bit of a fool.

• 3. Re: What is the Premium Data Charge for again?
    SprintThor Social Care

ReallyBigfamei,

Thank you for reaching out to us and providing feedback in regards to your experience.  To clarify, the $10.00 premium data add-on at first was initiated to the HTC EVO 4G and Samsung Epic due to the advance data capabilities these devices can perform which required a more extensive usage of data vs. older PDA/smartphones models.  Both of these devices were our first 3G CDMA/4G Wimax capable cellphones but not our first 4G capable devices and we have never charged for 4G.  As more and more devices released with these same capabilities both 3G/4G and just 3G this charge was then implemented to all PDA/smartphones.  I apologize for any frustrations when Sprint made the move from 4G Wimax to 4G LTE.  This change to LTE was to benefit our customers with a stronger and better quality network.  The progress of the release varies for every location for a number of reasons.  We can take a look at the progress for your region.  What is your zip code and cross street?

Sprint Social Care Team

David

• 4. Re: What is the Premium Data Charge for again?

You know, when it was first added to my account when I purchased my last phone, the rep told me it was a new fee "the government" made them charge.  I have come to learn that Sprint will have their reps say anything, regardless of the facts. 

Bottom line is they do not provide me 4G service, and unless I pay exhorbitant fees to cancel my contract and go to a company who will provide me 4G, OR pay them an exhorbitant "early upgrade" fee to get a phone capable of 4G LTE, I won't be getting 4G at all.  Sprint has me trapped.  I have an escape plan though. :-)

• 5. Re: What is the Premium Data Charge for again?
    FireyFate Regular Visitor

I think the premium data fee is so I can get a blazing fast 14.08 KBps in Phoenix AZ, the fifth biggest metropolitan area in the country.

Check out this speedtest I did 10 minutes ago on my Galaxy SIII... if you can handle the excitement that is!

http://i.imgur.com/sqk6P0e.png

• 6. Re: What is the Premium Data Charge for again?

Don't worry Gracie, I do have a top of the line 4G LTE Phone... and I can assure you that your data speed would still be pathetic if you did too. 

• 7. Re: What is the Premium Data Charge for again?

If you want to make it right for us customer. Who never even got wimax 4g. HOw about crediting our bills back the bs premium charge.

That's how you would keep this customer.

• 8. Re: What is the Premium Data Charge for again?
    I-am-Sam Social Care

Gracie714,

I know how the premium data charge can be confused for a 4G charge. This charge is for all smart phones, because on average smart phones use 10x’s more data than a basic phone. An example of a 3G phone that gets tis charge is the iPhone4. Have you done any troubleshooting to speed things up? May I get your zip and major cross streets to take a look into your area?

Thanks!

Samantha

Sprint Social Care

Tuesday-Saturday 11am-8pm MST.

• 9. Re: What is the Premium Data Charge for again?

The issue is that for 4 years and 5 new 4G phone purchases sprint has told me 4G would be in Indianapolis "this year" or "soon."  Well, that is not true.  Sprint will never provide service for my 4G phone in my area.  Never.  I can't get out of my contract and I can't get an upgrade to an LTE phone without paying hundreds of dollars.  So, thanks anyway Samantha, but I do not need information on my area.  I have the information.  Just waiting out my contract to exercise my choice to go to a company with more competitive rates and better service offerings, and sadly, better customer service than Sprint has given for the last year.  It's like 2001-2002 all over again.  Who's been with Sprint long enough to remember that?

• 10. Re: What is the Premium Data Charge for again?

I-am-Sam wrote:

Have you done any troubleshooting to speed things up? May I get your zip and major cross streets to take a look into your area?

Thanks!

Samantha

Sprint Social Care

Tuesday-Saturday 11am-8pm MST.

This is such an insulting non-answer.  You know the speed is pathetic... this is on every phone for everyone I've talked to with Sprint.  Should we all "troubleshoot?"  I'm an aerospace engineer... your zip code information isn't going to do anything.  It is bad EVERYWHERE in this city. 

Just be a good little phone-picker-upper/internet-pacifier and tell your bosses we are getting tired of this run-around. 

• 11. Re: What is the Premium Data Charge for again?

don't remind me. Maybe they will want to charge us 5 dollars to call customer service again too.

• 12. Re: What is the Premium Data Charge for again?
    SprintThor Social Care

Gracie714,

We highly appreciate your feedback in regards to your experience with our services and history of phone purchases.  Are you aware that Indianapolis has officially launched 4G LTE in many locations?  It can be viewed here http://coverage.sprint.com/IMPACT.jsp?INTNAV=ATG:HE:Cov under Data tab which verifies the information.  I apologize for any delays in the launch and we would hate to see you leave due to the assumption of no 4G LTE in your area when it is available.  We understand in getting the best possible pricing and Sprint does have a very competitive edge with our standard rate plans and unlimited data plans.

Sprint Social Care Team

David

• 13. Re: What is the Premium Data Charge for again?
    SprintThor Social Care

FireyFate,

I'm sorry to see you feel this way in regards to the information Samantha replied with.  We are here to help to the best of our ability and generally basic troubleshooting fix most issues.  I apologize if we seem repetitive or we ask you to perform steps you may have already taken.  Reviewing Phoenix, Az. we have completed many capacity enhancements to help with service congestion and to prepare the region for Network Vision and 4G LTE launch.  We understand our customers want to obtain the best service and fastest speeds and we are working diligently to have it completed without compromising the quality of the upgrades.

Sprint Social Care Team

David

• 14. Re: What is the Premium Data Charge for again?
    SprintThor Social Care

ReallyBigfamei,

We understand the frustration when Sprint made the move from 4G Wimax to 4G LTE.  Again the premium data charge is not for 4G so we would not be able to waive a charge or billed charges which are valid.  If you are still actively utilizing a PDA/smartphone, the charge will continue unless you activate a feature phone.

Sprint Social Care Team

David

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...