1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply: Aug 16, 2013 11:04 AM by Delair_10 RSS

Kyocera Torque Problems

Delair_10 Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

Kyocer Torque problems:

1. Random reboots

2. Cannot connect to certain Wi-Fi's.  We have two Wi-Fi networks at work. Every phone/laptop/tablet has been able to connect to both.  None of our Torque's can connect to one of them.  Tried switching WPA and WEP on the router and still cannot connect them.

3. Get 'Exchange services have stopped' nearly every time when checking my 'corporate' Exchange 2003 email.  I cannot view any other folders other than the inbox.

4. Direct connect randomly turns off.  We have to reboot the phones to get back on.  Of course, when you reboot the phone, it turns on LTE which disables direct connect, so we have to manually switch them back to CDMA only.

We bought the Torques to replace the Admirals. Bad choice. They have many issues to fix. PLEASE fix the Torques and PLEASE role out the Direct Connect Now app so that direct connect can run on the flagship phones (EVO, Galaxy, Note). Even if the Admirals and Torques worked well, our users still want to use flagship phones rather than Torque/Admiral.

• 1. Re: Kyocera Torque Problems

I forgot to mention. We have tried resetting to factory defaults. We have run the firmware, Kyocera, PRL, and Profile updates. We have updated all of the apps. Also tried deleting the corporate mail cache and set the phones to fetch rather than push and none of it made a difference.

• 2. Re: Kyocera Torque Problems
    Chris_ra Social Care

Delair_10

Thank you for the post reporting these issues. I will get in touch with the development team to see if there has been any investigations started on these issues.

In the meantime have you had the phone diagnosed at a Sprint store yet? They should be able to help get this addressed and report any issues that may need to be fixed in a software update.

I am also happy to help pull some logs off the phone to see if we can get to the bottom of some of this.

Thank you,

Chris

• 3. Re: Kyocera Torque Problems

Sorry, I forgot to mention I did take mine to the local Sprint store. I could not show them the random reboots and lockups (which require taking the battery out) but they did see the Exchange 2003 issue.  They recommended clearing the cache, and resetting to factory defaults. We tried both of those on multiple phones and no luck.  So then they told me "should be fixed with the next firmware update".  I will send you all the logs you wish to help solve the problems. Just let me know how. Thanks for the help!

• 4. Re: Kyocera Torque Problems
    dgawtry Newbie

We bought the torques to replace the admirals as well.  Out of thirty phones we got one that does the random reboots and we had another that had the exchange problems.  They all boot up into DC mode fine, though some of the people that have them have said that carrying them in their pocket they have had the issue of many settings being changed including things like talkback being turned on randomly.  I feel that the physical buttons on the device are either too sensitive or they allow the screen unlock to be bypassed.

1.  The phone with the random reboots we messed around with and did a #768## reset on it with sprint on the phone and got it to work for about a week and then it started doing the same thing again, it may be a physical hardware or battery issue.

2.  I haven't had any trouble with Wi-Fi except for it does a constant disconnect and reconnect that causes it to constantly have to reauthenicate to the jump page that is on the Wi-Fi in the office.  I got rid of this constant jumping on and off by turning off the Connections Optimizer and only have the issue daily now but it uses a little more battery.

3.  Exchange issues only tagged one phone.  After going through phone calls to Kyocera and Sprint it was kind of narrowed down to the Outlook file structure since the user we were having troubles with did lots of organizing in her outlook folders with her e-mails.  What finally solved the problem was when we got rid of the excessively long folder names on the sub folders.  There may have been a bad e-mail there that got deleted along the way or a bad folder name.  But after playing with it for a week this is how we got it to work.  It has been syncing with no problems ever since.

4.  Sounds like you may have an issue with the direct connect on your account.  The only ones that we have that boot into LTE mode are the ones with DC turned off at the account level.  People were confused because the speaker likes to turn off and so they cannot hear any DC incoming but that doesn't sound like your issue.  That issue was fixed by us with different cases on the phones so buttons weren't accidentally pressed to turn the speaker off.

5.  IMHO the whole point of a DC phone is to be ruggedized for job sites and field work.  Flagship phones are getting flimsier and flimsier when they make them slimmer and slimmer which like you said is what the consumer wants.  The whole point of the torque is having semi-flagship ability while still being as "lifeproof" as possible.  Sure it would be cool as an option on the Samsung or HTC phones, but they are not along the same product path so I wouldn't expect it anytime soon.

• 5. Re: Kyocera Torque Problems

Downloading firmware update now.  Hopefully there are a bunch of fixes in it.

• 6. Re: Kyocera Torque Problems

dgawtry,

On point #5.  The supervisors all want the flagship phones even if the techs need rugged phones. Direct connect already is software based on some phones.  They just need to add the feature to the rest of the phones.  Sprint needs to be adding features and capabilities if they wish to remain relevant.

• 7. Re: Kyocera Torque Problems

The firmware update fixed the email issue.  I can now connect to an Exchange 2003 server and see folders other than my inbox.  Previously I could only see my inbox.

I still cannot connect to one of the Wi-Fi networks at work.

No random reboots or direct connect turning off as of yet. So it looks like the update fixed most of the issues.  (I would still much prefer a flagship phone with the software based direct connect now app)

• 8. Re: Kyocera Torque Problems
    TechnicalTeam Newbie

We are still having issues with 3/4 of our end user's Kyocera Torques randomly rebooting. This is a major problem because encryption is enforced through Mobile Iron policy. Because of this, the phone is inoperable until the initial login is entered to decrypt storage.

• 9. Re: Kyocera Torque Problems

The two remaining issues are:

1. Cannot authenticate to 3 of about 15 Wi-Fi networks that attempted. My EVO 3D and Motorola Admiral were able to authenticate to all of them.

2. I cannot initiate a direct connect call while using our work's Airave Pro (eFemto). I can receive direct calls, I can return direct calls once someone has contacted me, but I cannot initiate them. Previously I had a Motorola Admiral and it was able to initiate direct connect calls with the Airave Pro.  Cell calls with the Torque work fine in both directions.

• 10. Re: Kyocera Torque Problems

This is exactly what we need: http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57588496-94/at-t-brings-enhanced-push-to-talk-app-to-iphone/

AT&T offers push to talk, on any phone, and on LTE.  I would prefer stay with Sprint, but now there is no reason to.  Sprint, when will you offer direct connect LTE on any phone?

• 11. Re: Kyocera Torque Problems
    SDC_01 Valued Member

Delair_10 wrote:

This is exactly what we need: http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57588496-94/at-t-brings-enhanced-push-to-talk-app-to-iphone/

AT&T offers push to talk, on any phone, and on LTE.  I would prefer stay with Sprint, but now there is no reason to.  Sprint, when will you offer direct connect LTE on any phone?

CAUTION: Be certain you give AT&T a full-on trial in the areas where you live & work.

AT&T is making a lot of noise in the press about their "Enhanced PTT", but when you actually go into a store to get a demo, no one in the store knows how to operate it, and their 4G network won't be installed in your area for another year or more, and you'll find out that without 4G, AT&T's PTT over their 3G network is deadly slow.

To paraphrase a former US president: "Don't trust, and do verify."

• 12. Re: Kyocera Torque Problems
    TheFifthLetter Social Care

All,

Thanks for replying, I looked at this further. According my system I see that the E-mail auto-syncing failure is a known issue, there’s a possible workaround for this problem. We suggest reducing the e-mails on the server account to less than 500 e-mails, this should fix the problem temporarily. Sprint and Kyocera are working on resolving this problem, the next software update should help. The random power-cycling is also a known issue, we’re aware and the next software update should resolve this as well. In regards to the device restarting and being kicked back to “LTE” I don’t see this listed as a problem, usually after setting the device to “CDMA” it should stay that way after the restart. I see folks mention visiting a local Sprint store, what feedback have they provided? The Wi-Fi problem doesn’t seem to be a known problem as well, and another user on this conversation has mentioned it working properly for them. I would suggest visiting the store again, as this can be a potential handset problem.

Eduardo C

Sprint Social Care

• 13. Re: Kyocera Torque Problems
    ZIP32 Newbie

Has there been any progress with the Exchange issues?  I tried calling tech support and it seems that they took the easy route and simply stated that I need to take the phone back to the Sprint Store I purchased it from.

• 14. Re: Kyocera Torque Problems
    TheFifthLetter Social Care

ZIP32,

The push e-mail issue was resolved with a new software release, see here > http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/588664#588664 Have you updated to this software release?

Eduardo C

Sprint Social Care

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points