1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply: Aug 3, 2013 9:57 PM by SL8HTCONE RSS

Problems with HTC One WiFi

AdventureSkiBoard Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

One day after upgrading to the HTC One from the Evo, I'm on phone #2.  Less than 4 hours after buying my new One, it failed to connect to my home wireless network with the popular "Avoided poor network connection" error.  So, I returned the phone on Saturday morning, hoping it was a simple software problem.  No such luck.  After connecting to the Sprint Store network, I was assured the new One was good to go.  But, after failing to connect to numerous free WiFi spots in Santana Row and my own home network, I'm back to square one.  Since Sprint's network is poor at best in the Bay Area, it is literally taking forever to download all of my apps - because the phone refuses to connect to a WiFi spot.  Oddly enough, I didn't recycle my Evo, so I'm actually using my old Evo (connected to my home WiFi) to make this post.  Looks like I still have 13 days to return my One without penalty... and I think I might just do it.  Aside from not connecting wirelessly to any network, it is not very user friendly.  If you're thinking about the One, don't do it.  Stick with your Evo or wait for the Galaxy S IV.  It's only been 24 hours, but it's been two phones and one big headache.  Buyer beware with this One.

• 1. Re: Problems with HTC One WiFi
    Dreal1982 Regular Visitor

Ive had mine for about 3 days now and i have no problems at all with mine. And i kinda thought it was a very user friendly phone. Im sure there is still alot i dont know but im getting there. And about the WIFI i have been using it non stop since i got the phone pretty much and works just fine for me. Thats weird that you went through 2 phones with the same problem.

• 2. Re: Problems with HTC One WiFi

The One is pretty amazing, just hard to get used to.  But after 3 hours of tech support on Friday night, they couldn't get my One to connect, so that's why I replaced it.  However, the new One is having the same issue and I don't feel like spending my Sunday with tech support again.  Could it be that my Linksys router is too old for the brand new One?  I mean, my wife's iPhone 4S, my old Evo, Galaxy tablet, printer, and two laptops all connect just fine (obvioulsy not all at the same time).  So I'm pretty sure my WiFi is good... any ideas?

• 3. Re: Problems with HTC One WiFi

Have you tried resetting your router?

• 4. Re: Problems with HTC One WiFi

It is very odd that both phones have same issue though. Im using mine on WiFi now. Works like a charm.

• 5. Re: Problems with HTC One WiFi

That's a good idea... just tried it.  Still no luck though.  The status on my phone's WiFi keeps cycling from "obtaining IP address" to "authenticating" to "avoided poor network connection."  Same deal as Friday.  I guess I'll try it at random other free hotspots in the area before calling tech support back.  Thanks for the suggestion!

• 6. Re: Problems with HTC One WiFi

Is it password protected? Maybe the password went in wrong for the connection. I've seen that before and was because my password was put in wrong. But Der try another place and see if it works.

• 7. Re: Problems with HTC One WiFi
    halcyoncmdr123 Sprint Employee

That sounds exactly like the password was input incorrectly. And after several attempts, the Sprint Connection Optimizer is adding the WiFi network to it's avoid list since it can't connect to it. Make sure you don't have a MAC address filter enabled on your router, if that's the case nothing except those MAC addresses will be allowed to connect to your network. If you do and you want to leave that on there, just add the HTC One's MAC address to that list and you should be good to go.

If that doesn't work, I would recommend temporarily removing the password from your WiFi and seeing if you can connect. Then adding the security back with a simple password, and finally back with a secure password. Also, try different security methods on your router. WEP is outdated and should never be used unless you have devices on your network that won't work with better methods (WEP security can be cracked within 5 minutes). WPA/WPA2 are your best options and unless you have devices from 7+ years ago almost everything should support at least WPA.

• 8. Re: Problems with HTC One WiFi
    rizo83 Newbie

I've been having a similar issue with my HTC One on my home network (hacked DD-WRT Buffalo 2.4GHz/5GHz) where nothing else has issues from a dozen other Android devices including my work's HTC Droid2 and roomies HTC Droid DNA.

Tried it at San Pedro Square Market (also in San Jose) and same results while my work laptop worked perfectly fine earlier. Though will have to check again since my friends iPhone couldn't connect at the time when I was testing the One again.

Haven't tried Santana Row yet, probably will be awhile before I visit there again but doesnt look promising...

• 9. Re: Problems with HTC One WiFi
    rizo83 Newbie

On a good note, LTE is fast in Mountain View! 26-36Mbps down and 8-11Mbps up

• 10. Re: Problems with HTC One WiFi
    TylerTL5 Newbie

I had the same problem, on your wifi settings click "show advanced options," change ip settings to static, and change the DNS 2 to 8.8.4.4

Hope this helps

• 11. Re: Problems with HTC One WiFi
    richiel06 Newbie

Hey Adventure SkiBoard, I've been having the same problems you are. You are definitely not alone in this. I thought something was wrong with my router, so I actually rebooted it and stil I got the same problem. I just got my HTC One on Friday, was able to transfer my number and all that. It was when I was trying to watch Netflix or even use some apps like Reddit or Wallbase HD that my wifi on the phone kept disappearing and re-appearing. I have about sereval devices on my wifi network and each of them has no problem. Even my old phone which is the HTC Evo 4G was working just fine. It almost makes me regret getting the HTC One and might return it as well if there hasn't been an update or fix anytime soon.

• 12. Re: Problems with HTC One WiFi
    rizo83 Newbie

Setting the DNS didn't help. Investigating with Wifi Analyzer, the access point at work I get around -55dBm while at home its really low (-80dBm). Going to assume that HTC One's WiFi is just weak in general or is extremely picky to continue with a weak connection. Will try public hot spots when I get a chance.

• 13. Re: Problems with HTC One WiFi

After wrestling with the issue for about another hour myself, I finally made my One connect.  Thanks for everyone's suggestions!!!  I ended up completely resetting my router and removed my pw.  Finally, my One connected to the unsecured network.  I was nervous to add the pw, but it's just not safe to have an open network.  Luckily, my One recognized the new network and took the password.  I'm not very tech savvy, but I felt a sense of pride for accomplishing this without calling tech support, just some good suggestions by you guys.  I haven't had the chance to connect to a public network out and about, but i'll keep my fingers crossed.  I'm thinking my original One had nothing wrong with it, just something about not recognizing my network/pw.  Too bad tech support didn't think of that on Friday night.  It would have saved a lot of issues (running around to two different Sprint stores on Saturday morning).  Oh well.  The One is pretty awesome, but it's hard getting used to something new when i've had my Evo for 2+ years.  Still some minor quirks about it, but I think I will hang onto it.

Thanks again for everyone's comments and suggestions.  Good luck!

• 14. Re: Problems with HTC One WiFi
    Asoundlex Regular Visitor

I too have been having "Authentication" Error when trying to connect to my Home router.  I have been working with HTC for the last two weeks trying to get it working with no luck.  Mine works everywhere but at home.  I have even made my router an open network, but my One will still not connect.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...