1 2 3 4 Previous Next 45 Replies Latest reply: Apr 23, 2014 9:11 PM by dez_playamade Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: Galaxy S4 - World Phone
    0118buggypilot Regular Visitor
    Currently Being Moderated

The Samsung web site does show it to be a Wold Phone.  If it has a removable SIM card then I will ditch my Note II (9000 model) and carry this!  I need the removable battery out in the field where I travel.  This would sway me from buying the HTC One!

• 16. Re: Galaxy S4 - World Phone
    Th3Phoenix Silver Expert

SuperWilliamD wrote:

BTFU2000-

While I really wish I could give you a GS4, I have some further information!! The SIM card is actually removable! Dohhh!! Today has been a learning experience!

Regards,

William

That is good to hear!

I gave up on Sprint international phones with removable SIM and moved my main account to T-Mobile.

All Sprint needs to do now is to work on the data speed and I will move my line back.

• 17. Re: Galaxy S4 - World Phone
    6970buggypilot Regular Visitor

The manual/UG I have in my hand (and phone) both show/have a removable SIM card.  It's replacement is described on page 116 of the manual.

The URL for the .pdf is:  http://support.sprint.com/global/pdf/user_guides/samsung/galaxy_s_4/galaxy_s_4_by_samsung_ug.pdf

-Rod

• 18. Re: Galaxy S4 - World Phone
    BTFU2000 Regular Visitor

Thanks buggypilot.   One more quick question.  If you have a phone in your hand, can check the setting to verify that you can turn the GSM radio on?  It wouldn't suprise me if sprint for some reason has disabled this feature at this time.  I'm just still baffled as to why Sprint wouldn't metnioned that this is the first sprint galaxy phone that is a world phone, and why even after it was brought to there attention they haven't updated the website to show it being a world phone.  It all may be a mute issue as my contract is up at the end of June, and I think I might be switching to AT&T.

• 19. Re: Galaxy S4 - World Phone

I almost bought the HTC one but when I was told I bought the SGS4 for the removable SIM and some other reasons!  One note, you must first profile the phone on the CDMA side first then you can use the SIM slot.  I put a Movistar SIM in it while in Cd. Juarez and it worked like a champ last night.  No more HTC TP2 for me.  I'll keep my SGN2 for (I9000 model) for backup and writing via BT keyboard while traveling overseas.  I just hate carrying two phones for local communications being so close to Mexico and cross almost daily.

Yes the slot is unlocked and the GSM radios do fire-up.  As soon as I cross the border in GSM mode then it stops as it sees T-mo and ATT signals.  Same with my HTC TP2.  I think I'll make a shrine for the TP2 im my office!

Hope this helps.

-Rod

• 20. Re: Galaxy S4 - World Phone
    Salizar Regular Visitor

Does it let you change the APN settings so that Data works overseas as well?

TIA

• 21. Re: Galaxy S4 - World Phone

Use Tweaker from the Play App Store.  Be sure to D/L the settings via Wi/Fi FIRST before heading out the door.

Cheers,

-Rod

• 22. Re: Galaxy S4 - World Phone
    Salizar Regular Visitor

But what if I don't want to root the phone? And is that a no then? Are the APN settings locked? The HTC One has them open.

• 23. Re: Galaxy S4 - World Phone
    DavidCuongDinh Newbie

6970buggypilot/ Rod,

So your Samsung Galaxy S4 worked with a local sim card out of the USA in Cd. Juarez? Just to clarify the sim slot is already unlocked out of the box and will work any local sim card anywhere in the world (GSM)? When you cross back to the boarder and get a T-mobile or AT&T signal does the S4 have an error or "Invalid Sim"?

Thanks

• 24. Re: Galaxy S4 - World Phone
    AndroidLover1 Newbie

This is very important. Can I buy a Samsung Galaxy s4 from sprint in full for 600 off of contract and take it overseas the next day and use it on a gsm network of my choosing with a sim card I choose? I read I have to wait a certain period to unlock my phone. I want to buy it unlocked.

• 25. Re: Galaxy S4 - World Phone
    DavidCuongDinh Newbie

I don't really know "AndroidLover1"... Waiting on "6970buggypilot/ Rod" to reply since he works back and forth near the boarder into Mexico I think. ANY UPDATES TO MY QUESTIONS ABOVE 6970buggypilot ???

Thanks!

• 26. Re: Galaxy S4 - World Phone
    crogs Regular Visitor

According to the Sprint rep at CES (on video) he claimed they were going back to the way things were when asked about the embedded sims fiasco. If that is the case, then the phone should be unlocked for overseas use from the get go. Only the iphone needed to be unlocked before overseas use previously. Your best bet though is to call Sprint International and ask them. They would be able to tell you better than any rep who doesn't do international, as it's easy to get multiple answers to the same question.

The removable SIM is the only reason I am holding on to my Photon as I don't want to butcher my Note 2 to do the SIM card mod. Personally I'd rather see an S3 Slider world phone, but I know I'm dreaming on that one.

edit: According to people on XDA, the S4 is initially locked so you'll have to give a call to International and have it unlocked.

• 27. Re: Galaxy S4 - World Phone

FYI there are two (2) ROMS  (Oficial Sprint ROMS) in the SGS4's out there, the U.S. and the USA.  That's for starters.  Also get your MSL code to set your proxy to null.

I purchased my phone outright from Sprint and provisioned it myself.  (I never pay activation fees)  You can have Sprint International provision the GSM SIM card from Sprint and it'll work, also with any SIM outside of AT&T and T-Mo areas.

What I do is manually switch between CDMA and GSM because of signal bleed into Mexico.  Like I said you need to fully provision the phone before use on CDMA first and then on the GSM side.  The SIM card you use is up to you.

I could use CDMA in Cd. Juarez but the costs are prohibitive when roaming.

That's how the GS4 does it in a border town!  Say goodbye to my HTC TP2. 

-Rod

• 28. Re: Galaxy S4 - World Phone
    DavidCuongDinh Newbie

So what you said to do in order to use a different sim in another country is to have SPRINT provision the current sprint sim card for international roaming and calls in other country. Then after sprint provision it put in the local sim card of that country and switch it over to GSM while in that country? And that will work?

"Like I said you need to fully provision the phone before use on CDMA first and then on the GSM side.  The SIM card you use is up to you."

• 29. Re: Galaxy S4 - World Phone
    crogs Regular Visitor

Cuong1Lilah wrote:

So what you said to do in order to use a different sim in another country is to have SPRINT provision the current sprint sim card for international roaming and calls in other country. Then after sprint provision it put in the local sim card of that country and switch it over to GSM while in that country? And that will work?

I think he means to have Sprint provision it first locally (ie...CDMA), then call up International and have them provision it for GSM use. Then when you go overseas, you'll be good to go for whatever SIM you choose.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points