1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply: Aug 10, 2013 11:48 PM by Archangel_Renzoku RSS

Samsung Note II - Delayed Text and Not Receiving Calls

SUPERCONDUCTOR1 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Just purchased my wife the Samsung Note II in place of her iPhone 4S.

Love the phone and its capabilities, but the issues she's experiencing is making us rethink that decision.

Issues:

• Delayed receipt of text messages - (Using Samsung stock text - no 3rd party app) This is an intermittent problem, but it happens more often than not.  Messages that we send to her can be delayed anywhere between 15 mins to 12 hours.
  • Not Receiving Phone calls - This is also an intermittent problem, but the frequency is increasing as well.  Her phone does not ring or acknowledge a 'missed call', she will just suddenly receive a voice mail if one is left for her.  I have sat right next to her in our home and called her phone and it will ring.  I will then hang up and call again and her phone will not respond.

For the most part these situations happen at home, or within our hometown, which is a sizable community (100K+ population) with excellent Sprint coverage.  However, there is no change in performance when we are trevelling.  These issues do not exist with any other phone on our plan.

I have done some reading up on this issue.  (Which seems to be sizable for AT&T at the moment with the Note and SIII.)  I've also tried the solutions from Sprint's support, including: updating my profile, soft reset of the phone (power off and remove the battery for at least 30 seconds), update the PRL, software updates, and a few other recommended adjustments.

None of these have worked 100% of the time and I have yet to find a permanent solution.

This has become a serious problem as she depends on her phone as her primary mode of communication.  (Such as when the school could not get in touch with her because our youngest daughter was sick at school and they were unable to reach her.  I'm the backup, but due to my work, I'm not always readily available.)

Unfortunately, we are past our 14 days to return the phone; however, I have no expectation of being stuck with a phone (that I paid this much for) that can't perform the most basic of services of talk and text.

Any ideas or help towards a solution would be greatly appreciated?

• 1. Re: Samsung Note II - Delayed Text and Not Receiving Calls
    garwynn Expert

Long story short I saw this last week and it almost caused me a divorce because something happened and my wife couldn't reach me when she needed to.

Tried restoring a backup, switching to a previous version - nothing fixed it.

A profile update did fix it but apparently not permanently.

After much frustration I tried ##72786#.  This resets the Hands Free Activation and lets it pull all of the data again.

This is the only way I was able to get it to behave again - though a test at work shows it is still intermittent.

Sprint Techs,

I want this issue documented and am willing to take it to a sprint store for documentation purposes.

(So long as I'm not going to be charged for it.)

I just want to explain what happened so they can put a ticket in.

I might be able to recreate but they're likely not able to use those details due to my custom solution.

After much testing though it appears to be software version independent.

If not possible I'll ask another person to see if they can log it.

Thanks.

• 2. Re: Samsung Note II - Delayed Text and Not Receiving Calls
    SUPERCONDUCTOR1 Newbie

Ok Sprint.  Need some help on this issue!   $300 for this **** phone and we can't place or receive phone calls 90% of the time.  This is NOT what we paid for and it is quickly becoming a paper weight.

A response would be appreciated.

• 3. Re: Samsung Note II - Delayed Text and Not Receiving Calls
    garwynn Expert

Did you try ##72786# yet? Dial that like you would a phone number.

And if you have an Airave reset it. That should also help.

• 4. Re: Samsung Note II - Delayed Text and Not Receiving Calls
    ALynch40 Expert

Tried this on my Wife's phone to see if it fixes these issues. I'll report back soon.

garwynn wrote:

Did you try ##72786# yet? Dial that like you would a phone number.

And if you have an Airave reset it. That should also help.

• 5. Re: Samsung Note II - Delayed Text and Not Receiving Calls
    SUPERCONDUCTOR1 Newbie

Garwynn, gave it a try.  Will let you know the outcome. Thanks for your help.

• 6. Re: Samsung Note II - Delayed Text and Not Receiving Calls
    ALynch40 Expert

##72786# reset worked for a couple days then it went right back to the same issues of delayed texts and no calls or none of both.

• 7. Re: Samsung Note II - Delayed Text and Not Receiving Calls
    SUPERCONDUCTOR1 Newbie

Tried the phone reset (using the code you provided) 6 days ago and so far so good.  While there is still some delay in text messages, there has been a drastic improvement in my wife's ability to make/receive phone calls.  Thank you garwynn.

For those who are worried they will lose data with this code, I can attest that we did not lose anything.  It only clears the programming parameters, then performs a reboot and reactivation.

Just dial the number as if you were calling someone (##72786#).  But know that when you hit that last # key...it automatically starts the process.  So be sure you don't need your phone for a few mins.

I'll update if anything changes.

• 8. Re: Samsung Note II - Delayed Text and Not Receiving Calls
    SUPERCONDUCTOR1 Newbie

Well, the ##72786# provided temporary relief for a few days.  My wife was receiving calls and texts, but the success was short lived.

We have tried the code 3 times and each time the fix seems to last for 1-3 days at best.

Can't seem to find any type of long term solution, so I guess it's time to go fight this out at the store...bummer.

• 9. Re: Samsung Note II - Delayed Text and Not Receiving Calls
    FlyTy72 Newbie

You should call Sprint tech support. There's probably a problem with the tower in your area that your phone mainly connects to.  I'm currently going through this with the Note 2, and have had the problem with other phones as well, only to find out that it's Sprint's network and not the phones.  It seems sprint's NEW 4g LTE towers are having problems with their signals penetrating buildings. At least that's what I was told by an advance tech rep. They're switching back to the old Wimax towers to correct the connectivity issues...absolutely crazy to me!!!

• 10. Re: Samsung Note II - Delayed Text and Not Receiving Calls
    TSW7207 Newbie

same thing here, Chicago, Pilsen and Logan Square neighborhood.

-. text messages not coming in / out... phone calls not coming / out

-. yesterday we were in a major downtown hotel, my wife has identical Galaxy Note 2, she could text and surf the web without any problem, and I have no signal... We checked out SETTINGS for data / roaming and 3g, and we both had identical settings... I reset phone, intermittent brief periods of 3G signals, and intermittently text coming out.

EXTREMELY annoying specially when you are coordinating w two other friends for dinner plans and you are stuck at a place, NOT being able to communicate, and friends getting annoyed, waiting.

For the past month, I have to resent a few times, and often I have to send myself test messages and test calls from my office, and if there is an issue, i reset it a few times...

Is this a handset problem or a Sprint Network problem?

• 11. Re: Samsung Note II - Delayed Text and Not Receiving Calls
    JEGLE4484 Newbie

I've been having the same issues. Also in the Chicago area.

• 12. Re: Samsung Note II - Delayed Text and Not Receiving Calls
    mattehww Newbie

SAME exact problem, Bay Area. ##SCRTN# is a temporary fix of several days also. I called tech support and even though I explained it doesn't fix the problem, he had me do another SCRTN reset, which didn't even work that time. Said my only solution was to go to a store and have the run a diagnostics test, and since I didn't have TEP it'd be a $50 dollar charge. I'm not paying $50 for them to fix phone calls and texts, which may be their network fault.

• 13. Re: Samsung Note II - Delayed Text and Not Receiving Calls
    garwynn Expert

OK, this seems exclusive to N2 to me.  Here's why.

S4 and N2 side-by-side in a given location at Des Plaines.

First picture (eHRPD) is N2, LTE is S4.

Now why the heck am I getting such a variation?

PRL same on both.

Also, same location, same situation.  Occasionally calls don't go through on N2, S4 still just fine.

N2 Signal.pngS4 Signal.png

• 14. Re: Samsung Note II - Delayed Text and Not Receiving Calls
    txsjaxon Newbie

Hello all, I too live in the Chicagoland area and have had the note 2 since its release. I have had no problems until the last update went through. Since then nothing but problems. The problem is either from the update or Sprints network coincidentally. I have been having the same issues missing calls and texts and 4g instability. seems like Sprint has a problem here. I have spent countless hours with support only to be told the problem is fixed only to find out later in the same day same problems. The phone worked fine until about a month ago. I have done it all and to have to reset the phone or reactivate it every time I go to use it is ridiculous. This is definitely a Sprint problem as it gets fixed for a few hours then bam. Yet sprint tells me no one else is having this problem. The fact that no one addresses this forum from Sprint is a clue that they know they have a problem but don't know how or can't fix it.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points