1 2 3 4 Previous Next 44 Replies Latest reply: May 31, 2013 6:13 PM by AllanCA Go to original post RSS
  • 30. Re: Galaxy S4 - World Phone
    DavidCuongDinh Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated

Sprint provision it first locally = mean just to have it activate for regular use correct?

Provision it for GSM use = means call international to have them activate it where I can use my local USA number in another country?

Then I should be able to use a different sim card?

• 31. Re: Galaxy S4 - World Phone
    obender Regular Visitor

I'm a bit confused.

I had a call with Sprint Intl service and they unlocked (at least they said they did) by SG4.

They asked be to factory reset it, ok, done that.

But when I insert non-US SIM card (while in US) in to it it says "Invalid SIM".

Is this going to be different when outside the US, can some one confirm this inside/outside US behavior? 

I have doubts since Sprint iPhone that was also unlocked accepts non-US SIM card while in US, even finds ATT or TMO for service.

• 32. Re: Galaxy S4 - World Phone
    6850buggypilot Valued Member

Sprint's SIM is a GSM/UICC card that supports LTE in the U.S. and GSM services out of country.  Take it out and replace it with a GSM SIM say from Orange and you are in the U.S. the radios see T-Mo and at&t so it's an "Invalid" configuration.

iPhone (Apple) is another animal in how the radio reports its status. Two different OS's.  The behavior is the same as above.

I use my SGS4 daily wih a Movistar SIM and have had no issues in Mexico or Costa Rica to date.

I just can't wait for the Otterbox waterproof case like for the SGS3!

-Rod

• 33. Re: Galaxy S4 - World Phone
    SOLOAKEWLSTICK1 Newbie

Hi Rod,

A bunch of us on XDA have success getting the phone approved for an unlock but we have no way to truly verify the unlock.

I am able to get the UICC UNLOCK menu item to push through the PRL update, but whenever I insert a foreign sim, it gives me INVALID SIM.

I have talked to sprint international about this and they claim that the INVALID SIM is only because the phone sees US carriers' signals. Once I am abroad, the phone will no longer display INVALID SIM.

So my question to you is: do you see INVALID SIM when you pop in your Mexico or Costa Rica sim card inside the US?

It would greatly clarify things for us. Thanks in advance.

• 34. Re: Galaxy S4 - World Phone

Yes, and Sprint international is correct.  FYI, there's more than one retail ROM with this release from Sprint. Does this matter I don't know.  My HTC TP2 was running Windoze OS and had a full size  SIM card and did not have the invalid message issue, it's an antiquated device now. Sprint international will decouple the UICC (from the device not the network) so that you can leave the non-Sprint SIM card in the phone and use CDMA but you will not be able to use LTE services until you put the Sprint UICC/SIM back in.

One way to validate I guess your provisioning is to have the foreign SIM in the phone and try and use CDMA services.  I have no LTE in my area here.  Good luck.

-Rod

• 35. Re: Galaxy S4 - World Phone
    p4ddlingduck Newbie

Pretty ridiculous.  Horrible customer service.  I just spent the past hour on the phone with Sprint international with no luck.  I'm leaving to Asia in two weeks and they refused to sim unlock the phone since it's less than 90 days to protect themselves from "fraudulent" behavior.  I really love how they kept me on the line and on hold just to give me a "No, cant be done." I've been a customer for >10 years, but after this experience, I'm probably going to return the phone and leave Sprint. 

• 36. Re: Galaxy S4 - World Phone
    6970buggypilot Regular Visitor

I don't know what's going on but I can say that I had not had my phone for 90 minutes and Sprint International had me do a hard-boot and I've never looked back.  I've had international services on my account since my first day with Sprint <10 years now. 

There's more here than meets the eye I'd guess.

Are you looking to use the Sprint provided SIM for GSM use?

Remember there's no LTE if you remove the Sprint UICC card and you can lock the phone if you're not careful.

I don't know what to say other than my Sprint experience has been outstanding to date.

-Rod

• 37. Re: Galaxy S4 - World Phone
    BTFU2000 Regular Visitor

Hopefully someone more technically  knowledgeable can explain this for me.  Normally I have called Sprint given them my SIM number reboot the phone and boom, land in Europe, power phone and I have service.  However, I would like to know what I need to do to be able to buy an Orange SIM care and pop that in and use it for cheaper rates.  So what do I have to do to be able to do that.  Also if I use an Orange SIM in Europe, why can't I get orange LTE?

• 38. Re: Galaxy S4 - World Phone

BTFU2000 wrote:

Hopefully someone more technically  knowledgeable can explain this for me.  Normally I have called Sprint given them my SIM number reboot the phone and boom, land in Europe, power phone and I have service.  However, I would like to know what I need to do to be able to buy an Orange SIM care and pop that in and use it for cheaper rates.  So what do I have to do to be able to do that.  Also if I use an Orange SIM in Europe, why can't I get orange LTE?

In reverse order: The Sprint SGS4 supports LTE band 25 which is not supported in the EU. In the EU Orange supports band 3, 7 and 20 if I recall.  You'll be limited to the UMTS/HSPA data services there.

The card is not just a SIM card in the Sprint phone but a UICC/GSM SIM card used for LTE access in the USA and GSM for foreign use. The Sprint SIM card card needs to "decoupled" from the phone so that you'll be able to use a third party SIM in a foreign environment.

Sprint international will, let's call it, "unlock" your SIM slot so that you'll be able to use another carriers SIM in the device.  You'll need to put the Sprint SIM back when you return to be able to access LTE services in the US.

Hope this explains it a little better.  It's complex and last time around with the SGN2 I puchased an international one so that I could use GSM abroad as the UICC/SIM is embedded int he SGN2 and can't be swapped!

G/L  -Rod

• 39. Re: Galaxy S4 - World Phone
    dajiushen Newbie

Wonder how to get the phone approved for an unlock

• 40. Re: Galaxy S4 - World Phone
    fireguy_6364 Master

if memory serves you have to have an upstanding account and have the new phone for at least 90 days...

• 41. Re: Galaxy S4 - World Phone
    FonFreak Newbie

6850buggypilot: the thing is that all the users on XDA who have gone through Sprint's supposed SIM unlocking/UICC releasing or whatever you want to call it process that you describe report that it doesn't work. They go overseas after Sprint told them their device was unlocked then put a foreign SIM in the S4 and just get an "invalid SIM" message.

• 42. Re: Galaxy S4 - World Phone
    Celloholic Newbie

Yes, I can verify the 90 days on unlocking.

But, I just managed to get mine done in 18 days. I just got my email from Sprint World Wide care.

I will be trying this out on June 2nd.

Hello ,

This email is intended to confirm that Sprint has successfully unlocked your Samsung Galaxy s4 Device.  The device will reboot itself once its unlocked.  

Phone number: ###-###-####

If you have any additional questions comments or concerns please contact Sprint World Wide care 24/7 at 888-226-7212

Thank you,

Lisa Y.

Sprint eCare

• 43. Re: Galaxy S4 - World Phone
    FonFreak Newbie

Very important Cellholic, while your phone is connected to the Sprint network, you must go to "settings->more->system updates->Unlock UICC" in order to complete the unlocking on your device. If it was successful, it should say "profile updated". Without this, your phone doesn't actually get unlocked. Keep us posted as to how it goes for you on the 2nd.

• 44. Re: Galaxy S4 - World Phone
    Celloholic Newbie

I did the Unlock UICC and it did say "profile updated". Will try it out in two different places on the 2nd and the 5th.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points