1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply: Oct 18, 2013 12:08 PM by JudgeGee RSS

Recover messages lost in secure box

SCSMITH1984 Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

Here is my problem. I will a conversation to secure box. When a conversation with the same person starts back up in my inbox and I delete it in my inbox (gah not thinking), it also in a way deletes the conversation in the secure box. I say in a way because if I search for the person (while in my secure box) I can see the messages in search view but when I click on one to open them they disappear. It's like they are there but I can't get to them. It will say no messages found, even though there are messages! I have pictures and everything in my phone but unreachable.

If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.

• 1. Re: Recover messages lost in secure box
    smotrs Master

Are these messages or emails? Sounds like your referring to actual SMS and MMS messages.

If SMS/MMS, does the same thing happen if you leave a message from the individual in your inbox? Or does it only happen when you delete all messages from that individual from the Inbox?

• 2. Re: Recover messages lost in secure box

Text messages. Like how there's the General/secure/block box options.

I just tested it out by moving messages to the secure box then deleting the rest of the thread in the inbox and this time the messages still appear in my secure box  so maybe I was wrong.( Geesh, my bad)

I pretty much have messages in my secure box that I can't open but that are there. I'd just like to get to them but who knows if that is even possible.

• 3. Re: Recover messages lost in secure box
    smotrs Master

Is it the same case when you leave a message from that individual in your main Inbox? Or is the secure items from that individual still blocked or inaccessible?

• 4. Re: Recover messages lost in secure box

I have messages from the same individual both in my inbox and "lost" in my secure box.

• 5. Re: Recover messages lost in secure box
    smotrs Master

Hmm. Ok. Something sounds like it's messed up with the messaging database.

A possibility is to do a Backup of your messages followed by a Clear Cache and Clear Data. Keep in mind, Clear Data will erase all messages and reset the database. Then restore the messages and see if you can access the missing ones.

• 6. Re: Recover messages lost in secure box

Though I could click clear cache clear data was not an option (it was there I just could not click it). Thanks anyway, I appreciate your help!

• 7. Re: Recover messages lost in secure box
    smotrs Master

Were you able to press Force Quite then Clear Data? Some apps require it to not be running in order to Clear Data. The Force Quit button should be at the top of the same screen.

• 8. Re: Recover messages lost in secure box

Even after hitting force close it would not list clear data as an option

• 9. Re: Recover messages lost in secure box
    smotrs Master

Wonder if they changed that in a recent update. I can remember it being an available option.

Well, another way to do it is with MyBackup or MyBackup Pro. When it restores it will erase the current message database and re create it from the backup.

I'll have to see if I can find another way to do it straight from the phone using what's existing.

• 10. Re: Recover messages lost in secure box
    JudgeGee Social Care

SCSMITH1984,

Thanks for the post. It seems like a bit of an odd problem but let’s do our best to get to the bottom of this issue for you.  What device are you using? Does the data from one user only become inaccessible after you delete something from them either in a secure or unsecured location?  If you try to access data from a contact that you have never deleted any data from are you able to access it with no problem? Provide the answers to these questions and we’ll see what we can do.

Thank You,

Sprint Social Care

Michael C.

• 11. Re: Recover messages lost in secure box

htc evo lte.

At first I thought deleting the persons messages in the secure box was the culprit but as i posted earlier

"I just tested it out by moving messages to the secure box then deleting the rest of the thread in the inbox and this time the messages still appear in my secure box  so maybe I was wrong.( Geesh, my bad)"

After I did the back up as the other poster suggested all the messages that i was trying to recover completely disappeared.  However it has happened again. Where my secure box will show no messages but when i do a search the messages will appear.

• 12. Re: Recover messages lost in secure box
    JudgeGee Social Care

scsmith1984,

Thanks for the reply. What device are you using?

Thank You,

Sprint Social Care

Michael C.

• 13. Re: Recover messages lost in secure box

htc evo 4g lte

• 14. Re: Recover messages lost in secure box
    JudgeGee Social Care

SCSMITH1984,

Thanks for the reply.  I have tried to narrow down what was wrong with the device and I have a few fixes that should work.  It sounds like the glitch you are experiencing may be solved by addressing the memory and/or profile update.  It is always adviseable to back up anything before performing these troubleshooting steps (but it does seem as if most of the data on your phone has already been erased). 

Increase Memory (by freeing up space)

These steps will help identify and resolve the underlying cause. After completing each step, test to see if the issue is fixed. If not, continue to the next step.

Low memory issues arise when you have too many applications on your HTC EVO 4G LTE or when you need to clear your application cache.

1. 1.Verify you have available memory using Sprint Zone.

The Sprint Zone application can help identify the cause of low memory issues.

1. a.Access Sprint Zone.
    2. b.Tap Help.
    3. c.Tap Dashboard.
    4. d.Scroll to and tap Storage.
    5. e.Tap App Storage.
    6. f.Tap Running to view applications and processes that are currently consuming system memory and storage.
    7. g.Try closing an application, and if you no longer use an application, uninstall it.
    8. h.Test your device to see if the issue is resolved.
    9. 2.Uninstall unused applications.

Sprint recommends that you uninstall unused applications when possible. It helps free up internal memory and can improve device performance.

***Your HTC EVO 4G LTE comes with some pre-installed applications that you can't uninstall.

1. 3.Move applications to the memory card.

By default, your HTC EVO 4G LTE saves all applications to internal memory. To free up internal memory, you can move some applications to the memory card.

*** Be sure your memory card has enough space to handle the transfer. You can also consider switching to a higher capacity memory card.

Move an application to the memory card.

***Some applications must remain on internal memory. If an application on the memory card malfunctions, move it back to your HTC EVO 4G LTE internal memory.

1. 4.Clear application cache.

Each application has a cache of temporary files that may be taking up memory.

Try clearing the application cache from your larger applications to free up space.

Continue to clear the cache on the rest of your apps.

*** You may not be able to clear the cache for every application.

*** Rarely, an application may not function as expected afterward.

*** Be sure you clear only the application cache and not the application data.

***If you clear the application data, you remove your personal settings and info such as login information and high scores.

***If you clear the application cache, you don't remove your personal settings or information.

Clear the application cache.

1. 5.Perform a soft reset.

A soft reset deletes any temporary files and can potentially free up internal memory.

1. a.Press and hold the Power key. Ignore any prompts or other screen changes.
    2. b.Continue holding the Power key until your HTC EVO 4G LTE turns off.
    3. c.Your device automatically turns back on.
    4. d.Test your phone to see if the issue is resolved.

***To optimize device performance, be sure your HTC EVO 4G LTE is running the most recent device software. Check for software updates.

Perform Software Update

Manually Perform Update

Press Home > Apps, then tap Settings.

Scroll up and tap System updates.

Tap HTC software update > Check now.

Device will check for update.

Follow onscreen prompts to download and install the update.

Approximate time to download and install is 8-10 minutes.

---Then Verify Software Update---

Press Home > Apps, then tap Settings.

Scroll up and tap About.

Software version number should be 3.16.651.3.

Press Home to return to Home screen.

Please let me know if these troubleshooting steps have helped.  If you have any questions, concerns or need clarification on any of the steps let us know so that we may further assist. Thank you.

Thank You,

Sprint Social Care

Michael C

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points