This discussion is archived
1 2 3 5 Previous Next 65 Replies Latest reply: Oct 12, 2009 6:04 PM by halcyoncmdr123 RSS

Poor Signal Strength

Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

I've been a Sprint Customer for a few years now in three different states. But this is the worst service I've experienced. And judging from the rants on this board, it's getting worse. But that's a separate issue. Perhaps we Sprint customers can pool our ignorance and get better service despite Sprint.
Since moving to Las Vegas, I find that I get as many dropped calls in my house as I have calls to make or receive. I have lots of windows in my house, and I can make calls outside, but inside the house nada.I've updated my software, removed my phone battery rebooted, changed phones, andgenerally jumped through all the hoops that *2 tosses.I even spent...make that wasted... an hour searching the Sprint site for some insight, but I found the site woefully inadequate and poorly attended to.
I see from the Web, that there aresignal boostersthat purport to increase signal strength indoors.I'm trying to find our from Sprint which ones might work best for me, but there doesn't seem to be any information on Sprint's site, nor am I able to send them an email request the site doesn't work properly and won't let me send my message.
Before investing several hundred dollars on equipmentthat might not be compatible, I would like to know whether Sprint or other Sprint users have any experience with signal boosters indoors and what I need to look for before buying one.
Please respond to this post if you have anything useful to offer.

• 1. Re: Poor Signal Strength

I don't know about the boosters but do know the type phone you have can also impact reception. My wife has a Sanyo and gets pretty good reception, I a Treo 650 and get better, my son a Samsung and he gets the worst of us three. Now I am in the DFW area but have seen this in other areas as we were traveling.

• 2. Re: Poor Signal Strength
    boe_d Bronze Expert

I have tried some boosters and some work better than others. You are 100% correct that you should make sure they work well for Sprint as well as they type of phone you have! I've had some that really boosted signal for other brands (an all carrier booster) but for some reason the Sprint phones didn't gain as much. I also think you get what you pay for.
    Installation is a big issue. You have to make sure you read the instructions carefully about the height of the antenna in location to the booster as well as the environment of the antenna. Some antennas are directional so that is an import issue depending upon where you place it.
    There is a brand I'm going to try out next time I need to install them because I've heard good things but since I haven't tried it myself I can't recommend it due to lack of experience. I'd check out Wilson - find out if anyone here has something postive or negative to say - they just came out with a new unit for PCs.

As the other poster said - it also depends on your phone - the 700p is one of the worst phones for sprint reception, the ppc6700 gets good reception, the LGs have adequate reception, the Sanyo's have pretty good reception, never really compared other phones from sprint for reception so I can't comment.

Message Edited by boe on 03-14-200706:16 PM

• 3. Re: Poor Signal Strength
    Sprint Employee

Where do you get the information about the 700p having poor reception? Myself and everybody else I know with the 700p get EXCELLENT reception. Very rarely do I see below 5 bars on my phone. Dropped a handful of calls in a year. All of our phones are engineered and held to the same standard when it comes to signal quality. All have the same type of radio equipment.
    Just curious.

Message Edited by snang on 03-14-200706:23 PM

• 4. Re: Poor Signal Strength
    boe_d Bronze Expert

I have lots of clients who have them and even with the patches they still are bad - not sure why (I haven't yet applied the new firmware that came out a couple of weeks ago though to any of them yet). I've also seen countless posts about this from Treo clientscomparing them to their other phones - seems to be an established issue. Haven't seen it as much with the 650 but I don't have many clients still using the 650 for me to verify.

Message Edited by boe on 03-14-200706:32 PM

• 5. Re: Poor Signal Strength
    Larryt1971 Expert

Las Vegas probably has the best overall coverage by Sprint of any market. It's very odd that you would be having trouble there.

• 6. Re: Poor Signal Strength
    Sprint Employee

Weird, myself and about 10 other people have 700p's with no problems.

Message Edited by snang on 03-14-200706:53 PM

• 7. Re: Poor Signal Strength
    Regular Visitor

If you have gone through all the hoops go ahead and issue a network ticket for the entire county if you have too.

There is an obvious issue and its not on your end.

I once was having issues with my EV-DO download speeds not working at all and I had more upload than download. (Phone could be damaged, try replac...blah blah). Told them to open up a network ticket and their was an issue in the tower that basically was resolved at around 10AM the next day.

• 8. Re: Poor Signal Strength
    Valued Member

What kind of coverage did it give you at the location of your phone. Just curious because you never said you were in a strong coverage area. If you are in a weak coverage area that would explain the coverage outside but the signal fades inside your house.

Message Edited by Whoops on 03-14-200707:41 PM

• 9. Re: Poor Signal Strength
    Larryt1971 Expert

To my knowledge there are no weak areas in Las Vegas according to the maps.

• 10. Re: Poor Signal Strength

You really need to take your phone into a store and have them run a signal test on the phone. They can put it into a machine that will determine if there is a transmitter problem with your phone.

Also, don't just check the software, get a PRL update.

When you call into *2, tell the automated system PRL (even though it's not an option) it will get you to a rep that will be able to schedule your phone for an update. This file will tell your phone where all the newer towers are, and how to connect to them. If you moved from a different area with the same phone, this may very well be the problem, your phone just doesn't know what it can connect to.

• 11. Re: Poor Signal Strength
    Larryt1971 Expert

Wavelength: You're not serious about the PRL update are you? :D

• 12. Re: Poor Signal Strength
    Sprint Employee

Message Edited by Trip2way on 03-22-2007 10:29 PM

• 13. Re: Poor Signal Strength
    Regular Visitor

Thx, there's a lot of good feedback.
    • I've brought my phones (that's plural) in for testing, diagnosis, replacement, none of that worked.
    • According to the Sprint signal map, I am on the cusp of a Best and Poor signal area (not fair). The dividing line seems to be my house poor in the front yard and best in the back yard. That's why I want to explore the signal booster option for inside the house.
    • How does one file a countywide service request. I'm thinking that the towersmay bedefective. At one time the service folks said they would check the area towers, but no one ever got back to me apparently they think it's my problem so why bother.
    So, any more feeback on installation of in-house signal boosters?

• 14. Re: Poor Signal Strength
    matty032 Regular Visitor

You want to buy a repeater from these guys..http://www.jdteck.com/
    I had one for Cingular, worked like a charm. You don't want to be tied to an antenna stuck at one of your windows. this will let you move around anywhere inside you want.
    Hope this helps

1 2 3 5 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...