9 Replies Latest reply: Aug 26, 2013 3:00 AM by bvrclvr24 RSS

Using Galaxy S4 Internationally

NABISCO83 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

I had a few issues getting my Galaxy S4 setup to use a 3rd party SIM card. So I wanted to share what I did to get it work.

1. Call Sprint and get your phone unlocked. Make sure you call them 5 - 10 days before your departure, they are very slow with pushing the update to your phone.

2. Download an APN app that will write APN settings onto your phone (I used an app called Offline SIM APN Database), if you want data services while abroad you're going to have to root your phone thanks to JellyBean (here is a fast way of rooting the phone How to root the Samsung Galaxy S4 | Android | Geek.com)

2a. If you applied Root to your phone move your APN app into the system folder. ( I purchased Titanium Backup Pro to do this).

3. Backup your APN settings (This might not be necessary since Sprint Technical support told me that this data is locked into the Sprint Sim, but I am an IT guy so always back up)

4. Take your trip abroad

5. Pop in 3rd party Sim

6. Follow directions from Sprint International Support (Turn off device > Insert 3rd party SIM > go to Settings > More (tab) > System Update > UICC unlock.  You will receive the update and it should change to GSM Mode. )

7. To enable MMS/Data write 3rd party carrier APN settings to your phone using your APN app.

Upon returning to the states, set your APN settings back to default then remove 3rd party sim card from your phone.

HTH

• 1. Re: Using Galaxy S4 Internationally
    Silver Expert

So there is no way to adjust the APN settings without Root?  I'm clearly not afraid, just thought that seems like a silly thing to hide on the system partition.

Thanks for this concise write up, I was wondering this exact thing.

• 2. Re: Using Galaxy S4 Internationally
    NABISCO83 Newbie

I'm sorry if I didn't make this clear but there is a way via patching the JB build. I saw multiple GS4 that allowed the user to set the APN in the UK. To my knowledge the US versions of the GS4 do not have those settings avaialable and editable.

• 3. Re: Using Galaxy S4 Internationally
    Silver Expert

Sounds good and thanks again! Love this GS4

• 4. Re: Using Galaxy S4 Internationally
    TravelInt Newbie

Do I have to root the galaxy s4 if I want to use local sim for 3g data even though the phone is unlocked and I am able to use for voice?

• 5. Re: Using Galaxy S4 Internationally
    NABISCO83 Newbie

If you're just using an international sim for voice then there is no need to root your device. If you're trying to use 3G data on an international Sim the only way you're going to be allowed to input the APN data and save it is by rooting your phone. If your international Sim contains the APN data already then you might not need to root your phone. Put in the SIM and see if you connect if not then rooting it might be an option.

• 6. Re: Using Galaxy S4 Internationally
    TravelInt Newbie

Thank you NABISCO83 ! the third party sim contains APN infomraion. I checked using the offline SIM APN database. However, the phone is not picking up (or not showing )any 3g signal. I used to have the motorla photon from sprint carrier and it was working great with data for the same third party SIM. Anyhelp would be appreciated. I hate to root my phone.

• 7. Re: Using Galaxy S4 Internationally
    NABISCO83 Newbie

TravelInt in that case rooting might be your only option.

• 8. Re: Using Galaxy S4 Internationally
    h20wakebum2011 Newbie

Hi there,

I'm really glad I found your post.

I am going to the Philippines next month and need help!

I've already unlocked my phone so it will accept foreign SIM Card but I too want to use data/mms.

I downlodaed the Offline SIM APN Database Pro version and found the Philippines APN information, my question... is... how/where is my sprint APN located?  How do i back it up?

Once I get in the philippines, how do i use the information from offline sim apn database to create a new APN?  When I try adding the new apn, i can't add the name or any fields (they are all greyed out).

Your advise is EXTREMELY helpful!

• 9. Re: Using Galaxy S4 Internationally
    bvrclvr24 Newbie
    2a. If you applied Root to your phone move your APN app into the system folder. ( I purchased Titanium Backup Pro to do this).

Can you please elaborate on this step?  I have rooted and downloaded the Offline APN Database.  I think this is all pretty easy to follow except this line.  Where did you move the app from?  Did you move specific APN data or the whole app?  Can you please explain?

Thanks!!

P.S. I'm in Australia with a worthless G4.  My work has given me a sim, but I on'y have voice and sms for right now.  Dying to figure this out!!    

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...