1 2 3 Previous Next 33 Replies Latest reply: Mar 29, 2014 8:04 PM by riley_tommy RSS

Blocking Incoming Private and Unknown Numbers

FelixN. Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Let me start saying that I recently switched from AT&T here in Omaha and so far I have receive great customer service when I call, the signal is pretty good compared with AT&T. I always have signal when is needed and the places that spent the majority of the time. 3G.. well is spotty... It is fast in some places but others are null.

Overall I am satisfied but there is one thing that is annoying the HECK out of me and is the inability to block incoming private and unknown number calls. Since I switched and got a Sprint number I keep getting spam and robot calls coming from private and unknown numbers (sometimes every hour). I already changed my number and I don't give out my number to any body but my core family (for everybody else.. I give my google voice number where I can block)... but still getting annoying calls.

A google search shows that this feature is being asked sonce 2008, Verizon and AT&T has this option and I wonder if after 5 years.. Sprint plans to allow users to be able to block all incoming calls that comes from a Private or Unnown number?

• 1. Re: Blocking Incoming Private and Unknown Numbers
    Chris_ra Social Care

FelixN.,

Thank you for your post. That does sound quite frustrating. I know I would be as well.

Although Sprint dosn't have a specific feature available to block all private and blocked callers there are a few options you have at your disposal.

First, Sprint has integration with Google Voice service. With Google Voice you have an option to restrict private and blocked numbers. This may be the easiest and most effective way.

Second, depending on phone model you can create a contact entry and name it "blocked caller" or "private caller" and select options to "send caller directly to voicemail" - This option is questionable as I have not tried it in quite some time and may very depending on phone model. I know this used to work with Android.

Lastly, there any many apps on the Android market and a few on the iPhone app store that claim to block private or blocked callers. You will need to try these out on your own to see which works. This option wouldn't be supported directly by Sprint but rather the application developer.

Here is a forum thread that discuses the situation. It's specific to Android if that applies to you: http://androidforums.com/htc-hero-sprint/44731-block-private-calls.html

Thank you,

Chris

• 2. Re: Blocking Incoming Private and Unknown Numbers
    FelixN. Newbie

Thanks for the reply. I have an iPhone 5 and I didn't see the option to send the contact straight to voicemail. I will look into the google voice integration.

Is it very expensive for Sprint to enable the block of those directly from Sprint?

• 3. Re: Blocking Incoming Private and Unknown Numbers
    smotrs Master

Another thing you can do is assign a special ringtone for everyone in your contacts. Same one if it makes it easier. Then search and install a blank sound file, something that doesn't actually have any sound as your default ringtone.

Anyone not in your contacts will not cause the phone to ring and anyone in your contacts will.

Takes a bit of work on the user side, but it does prevent the phone ringing when these unknowns keep calling.

• 4. Re: Blocking Incoming Private and Unknown Numbers
    neilo1976 Newbie

Does Sprint have plans on providing the ability to block these calls? Most other carriers have this option and I do not feel as though I should have to install a special, second party, app to do this. It can't possibly be that expensive for sprint to do and would make a lot of their customers happy.

• 5. Re: Blocking Incoming Private and Unknown Numbers
    craftygirl Social Care

Dear FelixN.

Here are some instructions on how to block phone numbers through sprint.com:

Block or restrict Voice Calls:

1.     Sign in to sprint.com with a valid username and password.

2.     Click the My Preferences tab

3.     Under Limits and Permissions, click Block voice

4.     Select the phone you wish to block         

5.     Choose from the following options to block, restrict, or allow calls:

a.     Block all inbound calls (Contact us by dialing *2 on your Sprint phone to set this option)

b.     Block all inbound and outbound calls (Contact us by dialing *2 on your Sprint phone to set this option)

c.     Do not block any voice calls ( all of your previously blocked voice calls will be archived for easy access later)

d.     Block all outbound voice calls

e.     Block only the following phone numbers for inbound and outbound calls (Select this option to block a specific number)

6.     Enter the phone number you wish to block in the field and click Add Number. The number will be added to the block let. To remove, select the number and click Remove. If you do not have permission to block voice calls, you will see a message indicating that your selection cannot be blocked.

7.     Click Save to block voice access. If updates were saved successfully you will see the following confirmations message: “Thank you! We’ve saved your changes.”

8.     You will see a Blocked icon on the phone that has blocked voice services. Turn you phone off and back on for the new settings to take effect. These changes will take effect within 15 minutes.                                                                     

i

This should be easy to do with your Iphone.  You should be good to go now, if not please let us know.

*Annmarie

Sprint Social Care Team

i

• 6. Re: Blocking Incoming Private and Unknown Numbers
    SHANDYCAT Regular Visitor

Thanks Annmarie, but your steps only work if you know the phone number of the caller. The question was how to reject UNKNOWN numbers. I'm harrassed almost daily by private/spoofed numbers. Very frustrating.

• 7. Re: Blocking Incoming Private and Unknown Numbers
    craftygirl Social Care

Shandycat,

Thanks for your post. I am sorry that the information provided was not helpful to you. Getting unwanted phone calls is frustrating. As my colleague Chris pointed out, there are a few options that may be available, much is dependant on the type of device. Here are the options that we have at this time:

First, Sprint has integration with Google Voice service. With Google Voice you have an option to restrict private and blocked numbers. This may be the easiest and most effective way.

Second, depending on phone model you can create a contact entry and name it "blocked caller" or "private caller" and select options to "send caller directly to voicemail" - This option is questionable as I have not tried it in quite some time and may very depending on phone model. I know this used to work with Android.

Lastly, there any many apps on the Android market and a few on the iPhone app store that claim to block private or blocked callers. You will need to try these out on your own to see which works. This option wouldn't be supported directly by Sprint but rather the application developer.

Here is a forum thread that discuses the situation. It's specific to Android if that applies to you: http://androidforums.com/htc-hero-sprint/44731-block-private-calls.html .

We are always looking at new and better ways to improve our services and your suggestions are passed on. Keep them coming.

Thanks,

Annmarie

Sprint Social Care Team

• 8. Re: Blocking Incoming Private and Unknown Numbers
    TKTewell Newbie

However the follow-up question was never answered. Does Sprint have any plans to add this ability (Blocking Unknown or Private incoming calls). As pointed out other carriers offer this.  I agree that I do not want to add another app on my phone to do a task that should be part of the basic phone service. I can do this on my home service.

• 9. Re: Blocking Incoming Private and Unknown Numbers
    localhobo Regular Visitor

Apps don't help those of us that use basic or feature phones. I know Sprint wants everyone to go to smartphones. This is another good reason for me personally to consider other companies.

• 10. Re: Blocking Incoming Private and Unknown Numbers
    craftygirl Social Care

Dear TKTewell,

I apologize for the late response. At this time, we do not have the ability to block Unknown/Private #'s. As to what the future plans are, I will be perfectly honest with you; I don't know. We do pass the on the infornation regarding what our customers are asking for to our leadership team. I know this is a disappointment to you for now. It may happen in the future.

Annmarie

Sprint Social Care Team

• 11. Re: Blocking Incoming Private and Unknown Numbers
    craftygirl Social Care

Dear localhobo,

Thanks for posting, Our goal is for each customer to have the phone that fits their needs and lifestyle best. As I stated to TKTwell, at this time we can not block unknown/private numbers. You can block specific numbers on sprint.com. I know this is not the answer you would like, but it is the only one I have for now. The great thing about Sprint is we are constantly changing to try to meet our customers needs and hopefully this feature will added in the near future.

Annmarie

Sprint Social Care Team

Annmarie

Sprint Social Care Team

• 12. Re: Blocking Incoming Private and Unknown Numbers
    TJKNAPOLEON Newbie

I just want to add my comments to those who are asking to have the capacity to block unknown/blocked callers.  I currently have an iPhone with Sprint, have been a customer for several years and have been happy with this service save for this one issue.  When I blocked an offending number, the person/company who was using it just continued calling using the blocked number route and I am powerless to stop this.

The only options left to me as an iPhone user involve jailbreaking my phone, and I've chosen not to do that so as not to invalidate the warranty.  I'd like a better option.

I recognize you currently do not have this feature as I checked a year ago to see if it was available when I first blocked the original calls.  Please pass along to whomever makes such decisions my strongest concerns that this be made available, as other carriers do have this capacity.  If it isn't something that isn't added, it's reaching a point where I'll have to consider a different carrier when my contract expires early next year, and I'd rather not since my experience for the most part has been your service is far better than your competition.

Thanks,

Tom

• 13. Re: Blocking Incoming Private and Unknown Numbers
    craftygirl Social Care

Dear TJKNAPOLEON,

May I ask if you have upgraded to IOS 7?

Annmarie

Sprint Social Care Team?

• 14. Re: Blocking Incoming Private and Unknown Numbers
    ccfourcats Newbie

On the iPhone 4S (and I assume on later models), each contact can be blocked. So if an "unknown caller" calls, set up that as a contact. Then block that caller, right on the contact information screen. Hope this works.

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...