1 2 3 4 Previous Next 54 Replies Latest reply: Apr 2, 2014 4:03 PM by SNOOPROB40 Go to original post RSS
  • 15. Re: Latest software update on Samsung Galaxy s4...sprint please fix
    robertdondebonde Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated

I have a brand-new, unrooted Sprint Samsung Galaxy S4.

Just spent 25 minutes on the phone with sprint tech support (866-518-0927) and spoke to a nice lady about these issues with the MF9 update. In particular, my issues are as follows:

• Received the update around July 18

Problems

1. Started experiencing significant BATTERY DRAIN on July 19 or so, with a complete change in battery usage profile. Google services and android core apps began to dominate, while screen usage dropped. Today, for example, my battery life is down to 17% after LESS THAN 6 HOURS of use. Screen has been on for less than 2 hours, and I was sleeping for part of this time. I have not made any phone calls, listened to any music, played any games, or taken any pictures. I watched one youtube video and updated a couple of apps. My biggest offenders: Android Core Apps (47%), Screen (25%), and Google Services (15%). Everything else is minimal.
    2. Phone is tremendously OVERHEATING. I know it's hot in death valley, but it's pretty hot in my pants too -- feel like I can cook an egg in there (battery temp has reached 37 C)
    3. Gallery app takes longer to open (I have a galaxy s3 that I have not yet sold connected to my wifi network, which opens the app faster). Also, I no longer have trash icon in gallery app.
    4. Lost the black notification bar on top of home screen - now underlying background is visible (this is not necessarily a problem).
    5. Phone is tremendously overheating and processor is constantly running. Have I already mentioned this?
    6. When I long-press the home button, one process ALWAYS shows up: com.sec.app.MIPErrorNotifier and does not go away.

Attempted Fixes

1. Found a few "fixes" in various forums (sprint, google, etc), which I have utilized with little success.
      • Disabled Google Play services, which, for some, has apparently been chewing through the battery due to an issue with google maps. Incidentally, this renders Google Now and Google Hangouts essentially worthless.
      • Uninstalled Google Maps update and reverted to factory installed version (6.14.3?)
      • Have disconnected and reconnected my phone with my Google account 3 times.
      • Have rebooted phone multiple times.
      • Have removed battery twice.
      • Disabled Sync (was previously syncing my gmail and other Google services as push without problems)
      • Left Power Save mode enabled. This has been on since I purchased my phone based on battery-saving tips that nearly every website recommends
      • Left GPS, bluetooth, and all "Smart" Samsung features OFF (occasionally used smart stay previously, but disabled with these problems)
      • Downloaded JuiceDefender and Battery usage app to assist with battery life, but to no avail. I also downloaded AVG Antivirus to combat any virus threats (battery problems occurred prior to downloading this app)
      • I did NOT mess with the DRM settings, as I was uncomfortable doing this.

Sprint conversation

The lady I spoke to grabbed a sample S4 from her office and began tinkering with it as well. I told her my battery usage stats (android core, google services, etc.). She stated that not everyone in her office with an s4 has experienced these same issues, but made it sound like some may have (didn't directly state this). I asked her if there were known issues with the MF9 update and referred her to the numerous threads in the sprint forums regarding this issue to show that this is not an isolated problem, and she said that nothing has been formally documented that she could see. Her suspicion was that there may be some faulty software integration between the MF9 update and google services, and RECOMMENDED THAT I FACTORY RESET MY PHONE. She also noted that there is NO WAY TO UNINSTALL OR ROLL BACK THE UPDATE, even after factory reset.

I will factory reset my phone later this afternoon, and if my battery problems persist, will have to to go to the sprint store to see if they can do anything. She indicated that they may know of some way to roll back the update, although why some local dude would have an answer to this problem while she does not is unlikely. As an aside, my battery life has decreased from 17% to 11% in the course of writing this post. Awesome.

Please call tech support and badger them with this issue. Perhaps with our powers combined, they will hasten to release an update.

• 16. Re: Latest software update on Samsung Galaxy s4...sprint please fix
    princesslucy23 Social Care

mir13,

Thanks for the information! First has your issue been resolved? I’ve done some research and I have found that so far christgj has given the best advice, “disable DRM Protected Content Storage. DRM Protected Content storage is an app”. Let me know if this works. Still researching and checking out the Sprint forum for any new news and updates.

Lucia

Social Care

• 17. Re: Latest software update on Samsung Galaxy s4...sprint please fix
    Mr_k1tty Regular Visitor

I'm also having the poor battery life and hot phone issues.  I can't even get a full charge to my phone when it's plugged in overnight and I plug it in at 5pm and take it off to leave for work at 7am and at most I get from 33% to 93% ... it's non-sense 

Per other threads I've done the following:

Disabled DRM in the application manager

Turned off Smart Wifi

deleted my Google account then re-added it

None of these "fixes" have shown any improvement.

• 18. Re: Latest software update on Samsung Galaxy s4...sprint please fix
    Mr_k1tty Regular Visitor

Here is what has finally fixed my issues... I factory reset the phone and set it up again.  No longer over heating .... and battery life has returned to what it was like pre-patch.

• 19. Re: Latest software update on Samsung Galaxy s4...sprint please fix
    McGarrett99 Regular Visitor

Good move. Mine has been a nightmare since the update. Call clarity is horrific most times, where it wasn't before this update, and Sprint keeps dancing around the issue whenever I call. Data resets, soft resets, powering on and off etc. I think a lot of it is the useless bloatware that came with this update from Sprint that most of us will never use. They need to fix this ASAP

• 20. Re: Latest software update on Samsung Galaxy s4...sprint please fix
    christgj Regular Visitor

I did a factory reset as well and spent most of the evening reconfiguring my phone. So far so good on the battery life. What a pain...

• 21. Re: Latest software update on Samsung Galaxy s4...sprint please fix
    Juan_M_C Newbie

Sprint, when you roll-out an upgrade please do more thorough testing. My phone keeps getting connection errors and the battery life is not working as efficient. Sprint tech support please stop hiding, your ***** up is big and you should fix this. Upgrade in small group batches and pay attention to whether you brake peoples phones. This update was ****.

• 22. Re: Latest software update on Samsung Galaxy s4...sprint please fix
    mir13 Regular Visitor

No it has not been solved yet neither has it improved at all. I am experiencing more problems with regular phone call connection now. me and my girlfriend who are on the same plan have horrible issues reaching each other thru calls and texts most of the time. We go straight to voice mail or call drops before we even answer, we usually have to call 2 to 3 times to reach each other. and the texts half the time don't even arrive. I have no clue if this is a sprint issue or my actual S4 but it needs to be fixed.

• 23. Re: Latest software update on Samsung Galaxy s4...sprint please fix

mir13,

I want you to know I am still looking for a solution to your first issue! With the connectivity, is this still happening? Can I please get your cross streets and zip code so I can take a look in your area? Let me know what steps you have taken so far so I don’t have you repeating; like power-cycling/updating profile? Thanks in advance and hope to hear from you soon.

Lucia

Social Care

• 24. Re: Latest software update on Samsung Galaxy s4...sprint please fix
    Juan_M_C Newbie

Doing a Factory reset or Hard reset does not fix the issue. I still get the same error, that doesn't pop up but goes into the background. The error can be seen once the home button is held to switch applications. This error comes up when a data connection is lost. There are also batter performance issues. I'm going to start posting on every S4 forum about how badly Sprint messed this update up.

• 25. Re: Latest software update on Samsung Galaxy s4...sprint please fix
    christgj Regular Visitor

I see the error too - seems related to wifi... The "upgrade" wasn't ready for prime time - that's for sure. A hard reset makes it "bearable", but the software isn't right.

• 26. Re: Latest software update on Samsung Galaxy s4...sprint please fix
    mir13 Regular Visitor

Thank you but its not just around my house, its all over south florida that I have this connectivity issue. Before the update the phone was incredible but after its a huge headache... calls drop texts wont send calls just plain out dont come thru, horrible.

Sprint and Samsung MUST fix soon I cant take it much longer nothing I can do to the phone fixes the issue.

• 27. Re: Latest software update on Samsung Galaxy s4...sprint please fix
    DonnaMMc Newbie

This may be helpful to some of you with Samsung Galaxy Phone issues....if there is a Best Buy near you there is more than likely a Samsung Experience Consultant at the Samsung Store located inside the Best Buy.  They do FREE trouble shooting for all Samsung  Galaxy devices.  Please feel free to call 1-800-Samsung to be directed to a site near you.  With that being said some of the issues maybe able to be fixed with the use of thier SMART Tool.  Others may not.  But they will do what they can to help eleviate the proplems you are having.

• 28. Re: Latest software update on Samsung Galaxy s4...sprint please fix

mir13,

Thanks for letting me know! South Florida is going through some updates and when completed I'm sure you'll be able to enjoy our service once again! For enhancements in your area check out http://bit.ly/1fzPBA7 We do appreciate your patience through this process!

As soon as I find out more info on the update situation I will post it! I have not forgotten! Thanks~

Lucia

Social Care

• 29. Re: Latest software update on Samsung Galaxy s4...sprint please fix
    mir13 Regular Visitor

I wrote Samsung yesterday because I got tired of waiting for Sprint to do nothing and they answered me back with a quick hopeful fix.

"Please reboot the phone using hard keys. Data from the phone won’t get erased by doing so. Perform the below steps.

a) Power the device off (remove and re-insert the battery).

b) Press and hold the Volume Up key and the Home key, then press and hold the Power key.

c) When the device vibrates; release only the Power key.

d) When the Android system recovery menu displays; release the Volume Up and the Home key.

e) Navigate with the Volume keys to the “Cache Partition” option and press the Power key to select.

f) After “Cache Partition”, press the Power key to reboot system now.

If you still face the issue, we would request you contact our voice support team for further assistance. They are authorized to deal these kind of issues.

You can reach them at 1-888-987-4357, Mon-Fri: 7 AM - 9 PM (CST), Sat: 9 AM - 6 PM (CST)."

I tried it a few mins ago but im not quite sure if it did work because as soon as I turned the phone back on and checked the recent apps I saw the small black screen with the android next to it saying MIPErrornotifier.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points