1 2 3 6 Previous Next 78 Replies Latest reply: Oct 15, 2013 12:50 PM by llhrst RSS

GPS Navigation removal from data plans

Bryan-Sprint Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

This month's statement came with a small box that stated the following:

GPS Navigation Removal from Data Plans

On 10/1/13, GPS services, Sprint Navigation and Telenav GPS Navigator, will be removed from bundled data and data add-on plans. For info on GPS Navigation alternatives (varies by device), visit sprint.com/navsupport. For Svc. Agreement info, see My Sprint or sprint.com/termsandconditions."

The navsupport site says:

On 10/01/13, some GPS services are changing. Sprint Navigation and TeleNav GPS Navigator will no longer be included in bundled data or data add-on plans, but there are a variety of  GPS alternatives available to you. Below you will find general information about how your experience may change, as well as detailed charts showing the experience for your specific phone and navigation application version. 

iOS users: Apple iPhones and iPads are not affected by these changes.

Most Android™ users will not experience any change in navigation service, however you can take advantage of the latest in free personalized navigation by downloading Scout. Other free navigation alternatives may be available on your phone or via Google Play.  

Many BlackBerry® users will still have access to Sprint Navigation, however the application will no longer include voice guided turn-by-turn navigation. You will have the option to upgrade to voice guided navigation for a monthly charge.  You may be presented with the option to subscribe to the navigation service via the application or directed to call Sprint Care to subscribe.  Also, BlackBerry® App World™ provides other mapping and navigation options.

Many Basic phone users will have the option to call Sprint Care to subscribe to navigation services for a monthly charge.  For those users who continue to have access to Sprint Navigation, the voice-guided feature will only be available via a monthly subscription.

Windows®, Palm® and some Basic phone users will no longer have access to Sprint Navigation and TeleNav GPS Navigator applications.  Visit  Sprint.com/phones or your local Sprint store to check out alternative phones that will allow you to continue accessing navigation services."

As usual this is a vague disclosure and of course there's no press release about it so unless you're paying careful attention to your statement, among all the promotions and this little box with this announcement, you will likely experience a loss of Navigation without notice.

As I read this TelNav is no longer going to be available, correct? 

I currently own an Android phone but plan to switch to a Windows phone next month so naturally this little disclosure concerns me.   I use the navigation on my phone and from what it sounds like there is no navigation on Sprint's Windows phones, I'm talking about navigation with turn-by-turn voice guidance..

Can someone confirm if Windows phones on Sprint have GPS Navigation with turn-by-turn directions?   What about other carriers? I will switch carriers if there is no Navigation on Windows phones with Sprint.  Sprint's coverage sucks everywhere I go anyway so Verizon looks pretty good to me at this point.  Plus they have a significantly better selection of devices.

Thanks

Bryan

• 1. Re: GPS Navigation removal from data plans
    halcyoncmdr123 Sprint Employee

Windows Phone devices do have Scout pre-installed, but turn-by-turn voice directions are not included. It does have a 30 day trial in the app itself, and there may be other alternative options in the Windows Phone Store (I don't know Windows apps as well as iOS and Android).

• 3. Re: GPS Navigation removal from data plans

I don't know if you actually read my post but if you will glance back at the orange text you will notice that this text is cut-n-paste directly from the page at the link you posted..  

This provides no additional useful information to anyone.

Thanks

Bryan

• 4. Re: GPS Navigation removal from data plans
    NYClos Social Care

Bryan-Sprint,

I checked out both ATT and VZ and both companies do not offer a free turn-by-turn GPS application either. Just 30 day trials of their own navigation products. Please check out the following thread for Windows Phone Navigation alternatives: http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/607849#607849

Thank you,

Carlos

Sprint Social Care Team

• 5. Re: GPS Navigation removal from data plans
    xb3458 Regular Visitor

Actually "Bryan-Sprint", you appear to have omitted the list of specific phones effected by this change. I feel that said list is useful information, and thus posted the link to help people access this information. Thanks.

• 6. Re: GPS Navigation removal from data plans

the list of phones is irrelevant to my question so I didn't paste that part.

• 7. Re: GPS Navigation removal from data plans

Carlos,

Thanks for the info.  I'm not sure how this helps though as it appears the verdict on which apps work with all the features and how the integrate into the WP operating system is still under discussion..

I feel Sprint should do this legwork for it's customers rather than depending on a user community. That's the cheap and lazy way out.   If it's going to yank a feature that they offered under contract then they should be willing to document which apps work as substitutes.

From what I gather

• MapQuest does voice turn-by-turn but does not have night mode nor does it integrate with the OS interface.  This makes it hard to use in my opinion. I want to click on an address and have it open up the Nav app.
    • Scout is misrepresented by Sprint to have voice turn-by-turn but in reality does not have it unless the user sub$cribes. My plan is supposed to include this feature so sprint should reimburse users for this subscription cost.
    • 'Here' isn't well discussed or documented.  I don't see voice turn-by-turn for driving.  Here's the details on Windows Phone store - HERE Maps | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)
    • There were two others mentioned but no details..

Like the person who initiated that post,  I am supposed to have GPS Navigation with voice turn-by-turn on my plan so all Sprint devices should have this.  GPS Navigation without voice turn-by-turn is useless and a safety hazard.

It wouldn't be so bad if I were planning to stay with Android as Google's Maps and Navigation work pretty good for me and it has voice turn-by-turn but oddly doesn't integrate with the OS very well .. Microsoft seems to be relying on 3rd parties to provide this. 

So again, which GPS Navigation apps work with WP8 and include both voice turn-by-turn and integrate with the OS and do not cost an additional subscription fee?

Thanks

Bryan

• 8. Re: GPS Navigation removal from data plans
    NYClos Social Care

Bryan-Sprint,

Unfortunately your question about which GPS navigation app works with WP8 in the manner you are requesting is best suited for Microsoft and its applications developers. Although free GPS applications access will be removed from our service plans it is still currently available with Telenav on Windows Phone 7 until 10/1. However, Telenav is not available for WP8, they have gone with Scout. Scout requires a manual subscription, even though it is a Telenav application. This is the OS relying on 3rd parties to provide this service. Just as Google has provided a free GPS application with Maps, it is up to Microsoft to do the same.

Carlos

Sprint Social Care Team

• 9. Re: GPS Navigation removal from data plans

I agree that Microsoft should develop this, particularly if they hope to compete with Google's Android.  Google's maps with navigation is pretty slick when it works.. You get a street view of your destination when you arrive at it which helps confirm you're at the right place and allows you to pan around on the screen the surrounding terrain if necessary - a brilliant idea.

I believe though that Sprint has an obligation to honor the contracts it sold users and to provide the GPS Navigation that they anxiously market with their service. If Sprint wants to stop paying TelNav that's fine - for new contracts, but prior obligations should be honored. It's deceptive to advertise it as free then not deliver it, OR to yank it and rely on users to pay additional subscription fees for 3rd party services in order to fulfill the advertising/Marketing BS that Sprint has published.  That's simply deceptive marketing.. which isn't really different from any marketing IMHO.  The definition of the term "marketing" has essentially become - BS, lies, and deception.

Bryan

• 10. Re: GPS Navigation removal from data plans
    NYClos Social Care

Bryan-Sprint,

I'm with you on this one. I don't know if you saw my post but I'm also looking to move to a Windows Phone and I also want a free navigation option. All of the carriers stopped offering navigation because, for the most part, manufacturers and developers have come up with their own navigation solutions. Sprint went from offering turn-by-turn for $9.99/month, to being included due the rise in smartphone popularity, and back to $9.99 again since there isn't much of a need from it from the carrier any longer. Let's keep our fingers crossed for a Microsoft navigation app.

Carlos

Sprint Social Care Team

• 11. Re: GPS Navigation removal from data plans
    BIGBOXES1 Regular Visitor

I was told by a Sprint technician today that you cannot use any GPS software on their data plan.  Is that true?  I was told that there would be a per device fee to access their data network with your GPS software.  Again, is this true?  Will Google Maps/Nav not work any longer unless we pay a fee?  I hate being nickeled and dimed to death.  I'd rather dump internet access (on the phone) than lose GPS access.  But will Sprint not follow the crowd (AT&T, Verizon, etc.) that does not provide the service for free and advertise their advantage or will they advertise unlimited whatever and then make exceptions to increase their revenue stream.  It's just like that $10 per device smart phone fee that's b.s.  Just adjust your rates and let the customers decide. 

• 12. Re: GPS Navigation removal from data plans
    NYClos Social Care

BIGBOXES1,

The change is that we are no longer covering the cost of Telenav premium membership. Our customers are free to use any GPS application as they would like and would only pay the company for their subscription, not Sprint. Google Maps will still work at no cost because Google doesn't charge for it. Since GPS apps constantly use data you benefit with Sprint because we offer unlimited data.

Thank you,

Carlos

Sprint Social Care Team

• 13. Re: GPS Navigation removal from data plans
    1JOERED Regular Visitor

If you are no longer covering the cost of Telenav premium services even though it is still available for wp7, wouldn't this be a material adverse change to the contract? Shouldn't those of us with WP7 phones be allowed out of our contacts with no early termination fee? 

• 14. Re: GPS Navigation removal from data plans
    gearhead1977 Newbie

My recommendation for Navigation is Waze, it's Free, Voice guided, turn-by-turn Navigation for mobile devices. I started using it with my old Windows Mobile Phone, still using it on Android and several friends using on iPhone, I just confirmed that Waze has been updated for WinMo and a download link is available @ Free GPS for Windows Mobile| Waze. Since it's crowd sourced by other users, the traffic is real time unlike TeleNav, and Google Nav, and new roads are added when they're completed,not when the next map update takes place.  Give it a try, I think you'll be OK with the loss of TeleNav.

1 2 3 6 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points