This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 20 Replies Latest reply: Dec 4, 2008 9:45 AM by KBear RSS

Data outage

smotrs Master
Currently Being Moderated

Anyone else experiencing a "Data Outage" with their Touch Pro's or any others? I had mine activated on Wednesday night, and haven't been able to access any data related features on the phone. Only voice and SMS seem to work at the moment. I have been on Chat with Customer Service on average, 3 times a day asking about the status in my area (So. California) and am being told they are working on the problem.

Just curious how many others are experiencing the same.

• 1. Re: Data outage
    halcyoncmdr123 Sprint Employee

Could be that the active profile is not set correctly, we have had a few Diamonds and Touch Pros come in with that issue. To find out you go to the dial pad and dial ##3282# (##DATA#) and then select VIEW. The top option shoild say "Active Profile" and it should be a 1. In addition lower you should have your username and some other info. As long as your username is in there, your internet will not work if the Active Prodile is 0. To change it, you will need to dial ##DATA# and then select EDIT, then you need to type in the 6 digit MSL lock code; change that to a 1 and you should be good to go. There are some network outages as well, but the active profile will prevent anything no matter what outages there are since it is on the phone itself.

• 2. Re: Data outage

I too recently activated a touch pro, on Friday at 4:30. I have been given the same story 3 times since Friday at 10:30pm. Each time they tell me it should be fixed within 48 hours.

• 3. Re: Data outage
    smotrs Master

halcyoncmdr wrote:
    Could be that the active profile is not set correctly, we have had a few Diamonds and Touch Pros come in with that issue. To find out you go to the dial pad and dial ##3282# (##DATA#) and then select VIEW. The top option shoild say "Active Profile" and it should be a 1. In addition lower you should have your username and some other info. As long as your username is in there, your internet will not work if the Active Prodile is 0. To change it, you will need to dial ##DATA# and then select EDIT, then you need to type in the 6 digit MSL lock code; change that to a 1 and you should be good to go. There are some network outages as well, but the active profile will prevent anything no matter what outages there are since it is on the phone itself.

Mine is definitely set to 0 and I have tried setting it too 1 but all that happens when I try to access any of the data services is that I then receive the following,

Dialed: #777

Cannot connect for an unknown reason. To check your connection settings and change them if needed,

tap Settings. If the problem continues, reset your mobile device according to your manufacturer's

documentation and try again.

What I didn't have though was my username, so I added that as well this time, now I receive the following error which is then followed by the first error above,

Error Code: 67

Error Code 67 Registration failure. Your PCS Vision username and /or password may be incorrect. Please try again.

Before I made the changes, my settings within the ##DATA# screen were as follows;

Active Profile: 0

MIP_MODE: Mobile IP Only

User Name:

SPI MN-HA: 0

SPI MN-AAA: 0

Reverse Tunnel Pref: Enable

Home Agent IP Address: 0.0.0.0

Primary Home Agent: 0.0.0.0

Second Home Agent: 0.0.0.0

I also tried it with the complete email, username@sprintpcs.com instead of just the username to see what would happen as well. Gives me the same error 67 message followed by the Error #777 message.

• 4. Re: Data outage

Most of those settings would be filled with information. I would recommend doing the "Update Profile" option in the Settings. That should provision through all of the correct settings for username, IP, etc. After that check and make sure the Active Profile is 1. If the settings for username, IP, etc. are not provisioned htrough then the provisioning servers are down and chances are that the data network in your area is down completely as well, in which case it won't matter until that comes back online.

• 5. Re: Data outage
    smotrs Master

halcyoncmdr wrote:
    Most of those settings would be filled with information. I would recommend doing the "Update Profile" option in the Settings. That should provision through all of the correct settings for username, IP, etc. After that check and make sure the Active Profile is 1. If the settings for username, IP, etc. are not provisioned htrough then the provisioning servers are down and chances are that the data network in your area is down completely as well, in which case it won't matter until that comes back online.

That's probably what's going on, because I've tried the Update Profile and Update PRL probably halfa dozen times a day and keep getting back the message 'No profile update available.' Even when I set the Profile to 1 I get the same message. So I'm guessing the servers being down are the reson why my entries are all blank on that screen.

So anyone else being affected by the outage, or am I the only one? :)

• 6. Re: Data outage

I actually had a customer come in earlier today that was affected by the outage, first person in our area affected that we've talked to. It seems to have to do with esn swaps, so any time a new esn is added to the network on hte data side the network doesn't seem to know or does not send the programming. Even manual programming doesn't work, so I am assuming it is on the servers themselves and how they authenticate new devices.

• 7. Re: Data outage

The Sprint outage is nationwide and they don't know when they will have it fixed. It has been down since Tuesday of this week. It only applies to new accounts or ESN swaps from Tuesday on. I have been a customer for 12 years and just did a phone swap on Wednesday and have not had data since. I have worked with level 2 tech support and they are telling everyone that it is a national issue. I would recommend that everyone requests huge credits to your account for this huge inconvenience. I have lost thousands of dollars in business already because I wasn't able to receive and respond to emails while away from my office. Sprint has been pretty reliable with Data for the most part. This is the worst I have seen in 12 years and hopefully isn't a sign of things to come. We can't bash RIM anymore for having email outages.

• 8. Re: Data outage
    smotrs Master

halcyoncmdr wrote:
    I actually had a customer come in earlier today that was affected by the outage, first person in our area affected that we've talked to. It seems to have to do with esn swaps, so any time a new esn is added to the network on hte data side the network doesn't seem to know or does not send the programming. Even manual programming doesn't work, so I am assuming it is on the servers themselves and how they authenticate new devices.

Yeah, they transferred my number from my old phone (Instinct) to my new phone (Touch Pro). So were pretty much hanging until Sprint sort out the data outage? Nothing can be done in the Sprint stores even?

• 9. Re: Data outage

smotrs wrote:

halcyoncmdr wrote:

Yeah, they transferred my number from my old phone (Instinct) to my new phone (Touch Pro). So were pretty much hanging until Sprint sort out the data outage? Nothing can be done in the Sprint stores even?

Stores have the least control compared to CS, TS and Chat support. We can do very little troubleshooting on our own, then we have to call technical support anyway for network side issues. Tech Support are the ones with the network systems and that have individual control over the portions of the plans regarding data, GPS, etc.

• 10. Re: Data outage
    smotrs Master

halcyoncmdr wrote:

Stores have the least control compared to CS, TS and Chat support.

Yeah, I've been on Chat quite a few times each day with the same result,nothing they can do until the data outage is resolved.

• 11. Re: Data outage
    smotrs Master

halcyoncmdr, any word regarding the outage?

• 12. Re: Data outage
    XplicitK Newbie

Its unfortunate that all this is happening, but in a strange way I'm happy I'm not the only one that this is happening to...

• 13. Re: Data outage

smotrs wrote:
    halcyoncmdr, any word regarding the outage?

I work in a retail store s owe don't have any more informastion than the technical support. Last I heard they were working on the nationwide around the clock, but there eas no ETA for a fix. I know that we haven't had anyone else come in with issues in our area the last day or so, and that all of our nrew activations and such are working fine. It seems like it has to be fixed in each area, whatever is wrong.

• 14. Re: Data outage
    smotrs Master

Yeah, that's what I was told by a Chat rep. Day 5, still no data.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...