9 Replies Latest reply: Apr 9, 2014 12:27 AM by mbspeed RSS

IPhone 5 - No Service, Extended Coverage and Dropping Calls

BRAKESOLUTIONS1997 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

For the past several weeks I have been dealing with poor to no service/internet and my iphone5 is switching between extended coverage and only showing 1 bar. Where I used to see LTE now I only see a circle. My battery life is draining very quickly I believe to the roaming/searching issues. I am dropping calls everywhere, my home, work and elsewhere, It does not seem to matter where I am. I do not believe this is a "tower" or network issue but a sprint problem. Intermittently with no rhyme or reason I will see two bars and 3G but does not last.

I have called sprint several times to complain, performed "soft" resets as per their instructions, reconnected to the network as well as backed up all my data to iTunes and performed the apple restore to no avail. My last conversation I was advised to drive an hour away to the nearest apple store just to see if they could do anything to help. What would they be able to do that Sprint cannot? I feel as if I am just wasting all my time with this phone not working properly.

I am extremely frustrated, this Iphone 5 is worse than not having a phone sometimes.

What and when will there be a resolution to this problem? I know I cannot be the only one.

• 1. Re: IPhone 5 - No Service, Extended Coverage and Dropping Calls
    anabel_negrete27 Newbie

i have been having this same issue since yesterday. I already ##UPDATE#, rebooted, turned off/on the airplane mode, and restored on my laptop and still nothing!

• 2. Re: IPhone 5 - No Service, Extended Coverage and Dropping Calls
    Audrina86 Social Care

BRAKESOLUTIONS1997,

Good evening! I can only imagine how frustrated you are and I want to help. I understand that there is more than just network problems going on with your phone but other things as well. I’m sorry to hear that you were inconvenienced to drive that far to an Apple store. Depending on what insurance you have, that may have been the reason that you were directed to an Apple store. Let me take a look at the area by and view a report on the performance of the tower as well as check and see if network vision upgrades are underway there. May I please have your zip code and nearest cross streets to get started?

Regards,

*Audrey

Sprint Social Media Team

• 3. Re: IPhone 5 - No Service, Extended Coverage and Dropping Calls

Audrey,

thank you for your response and want to help. I am still having same issues intermittently, dropped calls, no service, apps are inop, picture mail will not send, quick battery drain and this weekend my phone started resenting incoming text messages to me.

My zip is 78130 and cross street is county line and walnut.

I Look forward to your help in resolving this issue as it is extremely frustrating.

• 4. Re: IPhone 5 - No Service, Extended Coverage and Dropping Calls
    Audrina86 Social Care

BRAKESOLUTIONS1997,

No problem, that’s why I’m here! When you went to the Apple store, did they tell you what insurance you have? If not, I’d be happy to check your account and see if you have Apple care or TEP. Have you tried clearing your web browser’s cache as well as update the data profile by dialing 873283# and then call. If you have done all this and still nothing is helping, I would suggest getting a replacement device. As I mentioned in my previous post, what insurance you have will help me determine what store you would be able to get a replacement through. I was able to view a report from the local tower and the success rates are good except for the data. I’m going to go ahead and let our guys know to check that out which can take anywhere between 24-72 hours. I am here Tuesdays- Saturdays 1-10 PM MST. I look forward to touching base with you shortly.

Regards,

*Audrey

Sprint Social Media Team.

• 5. Re: IPhone 5 - No Service, Extended Coverage and Dropping Calls

Audrey,

Thank you. Yes, I am still having the same issues with the phone. No, I do not know what plan I have but have only had the phone a couple of months.

I have updated the data profile (Some Sprint Techs call it reconnecting to the Sprint network) and clearing the internet cache. As well as resetting through ITunes to factory settings. Sometimes it improves temporarily and other times makes no difference.

Please let me know what you find out about a replacement device.

• 6. Re: IPhone 5 - No Service, Extended Coverage and Dropping Calls
    Audrina86 Social Care

BRAKESOLUTIONS1997,

Good afternoon! Let me check your account to make sure what insurance plan you have so I can get you the correct information about getting a replacement. Please send me a private message and include your name, phone number on the account, as well as the PIN/security question answer on your account. I am here Tuesdays- Saturdays 1-10 PM MST. Talk with you soon!

Regards,

*Audrey

Sprint Social Media Team

• 7. Re: IPhone 5 - No Service, Extended Coverage and Dropping Calls
    Susy_Gordon Newbie

I am having the SAME FREAKIN problem!!!  Even went to the Apple Store and got a new iphone yesterday and the outcome is still the same!!

I can sit at my desk, pick up the land line phone and call my cell..  The **** iphone doesn't even ring!!  So frustrating, I depend on my phone ALOT because my kids have to call me.  I've gone as far as getting a house phone because of this!!!

This is bullXXX!!!

Someone please HELP!  [Phone number removed]iPhone location.png

Message was edited by: TheModerator - This is a public forum.  To protect your privacy, please do not post any personal information including phone numbers, full address, email address, or account number and/or PIN.

• 8. Re: IPhone 5 - No Service, Extended Coverage and Dropping Calls
    Jim.Lunsford Newbie

I Am having the same problems. this has been going on for well over a year.  Sprint continues to state that it is due to the network being updated and "please be patient, it will be fixed within a month". Like I said.  We'll over a year. It is happening on 3 iPhones and also my ipad.  I am to the point where I am ready to leave sprint. But i am  under contract with all but 1 line. Would the sprint contract not also include sprint to provide service that actually works. The reps on the phone say sprint does not release any contracts and I will have to pay $1000 on early termination fees....   Any help would be appreciated

• 9. Re: IPhone 5 - No Service, Extended Coverage and Dropping Calls
    mbspeed Newbie

I'm sorry to say I have had the same service problems as described in this discussion. It has been consistently getting worse since I got the Ipone 5. Which I got when it first came out. I had the HTC Evo previously and the service problems actually started back with that phone. I was convinced It was the phone, at the time, and the new iPhone5 would fix all the problems.  For the first few months service was better. Perhaps the Android based phone had gotten corrupted. After no more than 6 months from going To Apple. The service issues started back up and have only gotten worse. The service from Sprint has been getting signifigantly worse over the last 2 and half years with the absolute worst being the last few months. My opinion is that the company has not put anywhere near the investment in their network, that any of it's competitors have. Yes, the funny commercial with James earl Jones is cute and all. But, I just want my phone to work. It is a shame Sprint is more worried about getting new customers than it is about providing service to the existing.  The only market advantage Sprint has is the option for unlimited data and cheaper overall cost.  I am willing to pay more money for a

service that works. So I'm off to either Verizon or AT&T. I'm also taking my girlfriend and parents with me.  I am actually writing this on my work phone(AT&T  iPhone 4s) because after 2 reboots tonight on the sprint Ipone 5, I still have not gotten any better than 1 bar of 3G service while the AT&T phone has 4 bars of 4G service. This being the usual  situation of the AT&T phone having a better signal. The Sprint LTE network is so sparse it's basically non existent as far as I'm concerned.

Now I should mention my opinion of sprints extremely disappointing service Is not just based on a short term problem followed with this rant. And I'm am not looking for a reduced bill. I have been monitoring and trying to isolate the issues for years.

I have been a sprint customer since 2000. I switched to smart phones with the HTC EVO in around 2009, So prior to that I only had basic cell service. Second I'm a charter pilot, and travel the country. I'm in a different city almost every night. These service issues you all are complaining about are not just in your area. It's nationwide. Sprints LTE is only reliable if your near an LTE antenna and not moving around. (Aka driving in a car). My work phone (AT&T iPhone 4S) is in my pocket all the time.  I've had almost no service issues in the 3 months since I got it. It has become my "go to" phone when I need information immediately. When I first started having service issues with sprint I thought maybe I had damaged the IPhone 5 somehow. I took It back to the Apple Store and got a replacement 4 or 5 months after I got it new. The Same problems came right back. Just a month ago, after an increase in service failures, I went and had the Apple store run a diagnostic report on the replacement iphone5 and no issues were detected. To help isolate the problem. Apple actually gave me a second replacement IPhone. It has not changed my service failures at all. I think it's sprints delapitated network. Or possibly the integration between The CDMA signal sprint uses and the iPhone 5. I can't tell for sure due to varying reports I have heard from other sprint users. But either way this combination is not working for me.

This is the first and last time I plan to post anything on this board.

In conclusion I have  tested Sprint nation wide. I have had multiple replacement phones. I have been as patient as I can waiting for an improvement.   I have been a loyal customer for over 10 years. Sprint is just not what it used to be. Sprint is not dedicated to its existing customers satilsfsction like it used to be. Without some serious and quick improvements in the network. I can't imagine they will be considered a top quality service provider for very long. Sorry Sprint, but you have fallen way behind And I'm regrettably can not wait for you to catch up.

PS

About 9 months ago Sprint sent me an email response to my complaints over the last year. They conceded that I had in fact been receiving below average service and had logged more service failures than what  they consider to be an acceptable amount. Their response included a statement that said I was released from my contract If I wanted out. I have waited the last 8 months or so to see if they would improve the service. I was also waiting for my other family members contracts to run out so we can all switch at the same time. Sprint, you obviously know there is a problem and are choosing to do nothing about it. Good luck with that business philosophy.

I should also mention, approximately 2 or 3 months ago. I recirved a mass email from Sprint announcing that the network in my area was being updated. Now Service at my house is actually the worst is has ever been. Im in Aurora CO(Denver Suburb's). Less than 2 mile from a major shopping area. And 5 blocks from an interstate. I'm not in the "sticks" or anything.

Good luck Sprint customers if any of you choose to stay with sprint. Maybe they will get it together one day.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points