14 Replies Latest reply: Jan 18, 2014 5:38 PM by Brian-FL RSS

How Do I Unlock My Sprint HTC EVO 4G LTE?

SprintFAQ2013 Regular Visitor
Currently Being Moderated

Greetings,

I'm planning on "UNLOCK" my Sprint HTC EVO 4G LTE to be used on ALL phone couriers in the US.

How do I unlock my Sprint HTC EVO 4G LTE?

Will there be a charge in unlocking my Sprint HTC EVO 4G LTE?

Notify me as soon as you get this message.

End of message.

• 1. Re: How Do I Unlock My Sprint HTC EVO 4G LTE?
    smotrs Master

Unfortunately, you can't. The LTEVO will only work on the Sprint Network. No amount of rooting or hacking will get it to work on another carrier. You would need a true World Phone like the ONE or something to be able to use it on another network. Even then, if the network doesn't use a SIM, you won't be able to use it on that network.

• 2. Re: How Do I Unlock My Sprint HTC EVO 4G LTE?
    HeroJ86 Social Care

SprintFAQ2013,

Thanks for reaching out and posting on our Sprint community forum! What was the reason for the unlock of the device? A device can be unlocked if you were to go out of the U.S. for travel, other than that, we do not unlock phones to be used with other carriers. Keep me posted on this matter.

Thanks,

Justin

Sprint Social Care

• 3. Re: How Do I Unlock My Sprint HTC EVO 4G LTE?
    SprintFAQ2013 Regular Visitor

Thanks guys

• 4. Re: How Do I Unlock My Sprint HTC EVO 4G LTE?
    smotrs Master

Anytime.

• 5. Re: How Do I Unlock My Sprint HTC EVO 4G LTE?
    HeroJ86 Social Care

SprintFAQ2013,

Hey there! Sorry for delay in response. Not a problem! Feel free to reach out at anytime, day or night! 

Thanks,

Justin

Sprint Social Care

• 6. Re: How Do I Unlock My Sprint HTC EVO 4G LTE?
    senyoreta Regular Visitor

you can unlock HTC Evo 4G LTE phone to any Network using unlock code.Unlock code is the best and safest way to unlock phone.You can get the unlock code for your phone from your network service provider or any third party online vendors.And you can get free unlocking instructions from the site MobileUnlockGuide.com using this you can unlock your phone from Network lock easily.

• 7. Re: How Do I Unlock My Sprint HTC EVO 4G LTE?
    smotrs Master

If I'm not mistaken, the unlock code makes it so it can be used Internationally. Don't believe it will allow you to use it Domestically.

• 8. Re: How Do I Unlock My Sprint HTC EVO 4G LTE?
    Brian-FL Newbie

The other replies in this thread are mostly incorrect, especially the one from "Sprint Social Care".  If you are travelling internationally, you can call Sprint for the unlock code and they will give it to you.

Or, if you have finished your 24 month contract, you can call Sprint to get the unlock code, even if you do not plan to travel internationally.

Sprint will provide the unlock code.  The code is different for each phone.  To unlock the phone, simply insert a SIM card from some other carrier.  The phone will ask you for the SIM PIN (if the SIM has one).  Enter the SIM PIN (if applicable).  Then, it will ask you for the unlock code.  Enter the unlock code that was provided by Sprint.

Now, you can use your phone on any GSM network, both in the US and internationally.  However, you will be limited to 3G data speeds.

• 9. Re: How Do I Unlock My Sprint HTC EVO 4G LTE?
    jorgeildv Regular Visitor

like someone said the EVO LTE doesnt have a sim, and is not GSM compatible.

• 10. Re: How Do I Unlock My Sprint HTC EVO 4G LTE?
    SprintCare Social Care

Hi Jorgeildv,

Thanks for reaching out to us. We do offer assistance on unlocking devices only when customers are traveling outside of the U.S for international use. We don’t unlock phones to be used with another carriers. Please keep us posted.

Thanks,

Angel

Sprint Social Care Team

• 11. Re: How Do I Unlock My Sprint HTC EVO 4G LTE?
    Brian-FL Newbie

The HTC Evo Design 4G does have a SIM slot.  I don't know if the phone being discussed here is the same or not, but the ones I have (Evo Design 4G) do definitely have a SIM slot.

• 12. Re: How Do I Unlock My Sprint HTC EVO 4G LTE?
    Brian-FL Newbie

That's not correct.  When a customer has satisfied the terms of his contract, the phone belongs wholly to the customer.  As such, the customer is free to take that phone to another carrier if he so chooses, and Sprint will definitely give you the unlock code.  I know because I just called Sprint yesterday and got the unlock code for two of my HTC Evo Design 4G phones.  I am out of contract and plan to move to T-Mobile.

• 13. Re: How Do I Unlock My Sprint HTC EVO 4G LTE?
    thelma20133comm Newbie

Hi Brian-FL, Do you move to tmo successfully?  I have iPhone 5 and plan to do that. thanks

• 14. Re: How Do I Unlock My Sprint HTC EVO 4G LTE?
    Brian-FL Newbie

Yes, I moved to T-Mobile successfully.  For more details, read on... but for you iPhone aficionados:  The iPhone is sold with a CDMA or GSM transmitter, never both.  So, if you have a Sprint iPhone (CDMA), then you MIGHT be able to move it to Verizon (also CDMA but no promises), but you CAN'T move to T-Mobile nor AT&T (both are GSM).

Unfortunately, the T-Mobile representative and I were unable to unlock the HTC Evo Design 4G (in case you're not following this thead, the Evo Design 4G has both CDMA and GSM transmitters built-in).  The Sprint representative who gave me the unlock code could not tell me what to do so that I could enter the code (which is ridiculous since I bought the phone from them and I now OWN it outright).  I searched on Google, and I found two alternatives, and neither of them worked.  The T-Mobile rep called T-Mobile technical support, and he said to do exactly what I found on Google.  Unfortunately, none of that worked.

I had already purchased three phones that I knew were definitely compatible with T-Mobile.  Two of them were used Samsung Galaxy S4 phones that were originally from T-Mobile, purchased on e-bay for approximately $400 each.  The third was a Google Nexus 5 with 32 MB of storage (for my son), bought new, directly from the Google Play store for $395 (the Nexus 5, bought directly from Google, is compatible with ALL U.S. mobile carriers, both CDMA and GSM.  It is THE phone that allows you true portability from one carrier to another.).  Because I had four lines and had already replaced three of the phones, I only needed one of my old phones to work with T-Mobile, and we couldn't get it to work.

So... I bought the Samsung Galaxy Light in the T-Mobile store.  The price, when also signing up for a T-Mobile plan (no contract), was $240 up-front (or $10/month if you want to sign a 24-month contract).  It was the perfect size for my daughter (girls' jeans have small pockets), and has a LOT more power than the HTC Evo Design 4G anyway... so it was perfect for her.

I just sold the old HTC phone on e-bay for $60+shipping, so the net cost for her phone was $80 plus e-bay/paypal fees.  Not bad, when you consider that I'm saving $100 per month on the T-Mobile (no contract) plan compared to Sprint!

Plus, when I signed up with Sprint two years ago, they promised me that 4G was "coming soon" to my area (it was already available in Orlando, and I live about 50 miles from Orlando).  All of the Android phones that I bought from Sprint supported WiMax 4G (of course, the iPhone 4S didn't support any kind of 4G, but enough Apple bashing has been done already).  Well, they promised that in a "few months", Sprint would be rolling-out WiMax 4G nationwide.  That turned out to be a bald faced lie!  WiMax 4G died a horrible death, and Sprint decided to go with 4G LTE (completely different from Verizon's 4G LTE, of course - why in the world would we want to be COMPATIBLE and give customers a CHOICE like they do in Europe, after all).

By the way, my wife, who used to have an iPhone 4S, hated being trapped in the box that was created by Apple (being forced to pay for the iCloud service in order to store anything above the storage that was built-in to her iPhone was the icing on the cake).  My son's Nexus 5, which also doesn't have an SD Card slot (stupid, in my opinion), can at least upload up to 15GB of data to Google Drive for free, and then download it easily (and free) to any PC (or Mac, for you dumb/artistic people) without using any special software (like iTunes) and can do it all wirelessly (no USB cable required).  The iPhone was her first smart phone.  My first smart phone was an Android phone.  My kids both chose Android for their first smart phones too.  Only a few months after we got the new phones from Sprint two years ago (three Android, one iPhone), my wife wanted to defect from the Iron Curtain of iPhone and come to the free world of Android.  Android=freedom.  Apple=oppression.

She is now a happy Android convert.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points