1 2 3 68 Previous Next 1,007 Replies Latest reply: Mar 10, 2014 4:55 PM by SprintCare RSS

Galaxy Note 3 voice garbled, popping, morphed, etc during calls?

John032060 Expert
Currently Being Moderated

Product: Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note 3 White 32 Gigabyte Smartphone

Problem:

Receiving voice quality on a connected call is garbled with intermittent popping and frequency morphing.

Conditions: During connected call and hears through speakerphone, or headphones, or earpiece speaker.

Not present on music, video nor recording playback. Only occurs during a connected call.  Receiving party hears me clearly on their end.

Steps taken:

Called Samsung. "It's a hardware issue. Return phone or send that one in for repairs".  Called Sprint: "All our towers are up and functioning in your area".

Actions:

Returned first phone within one day of purchase. Repurchased Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (White). Same issue. Received call voice quality verified by Samsung rep at Best Buy. Exchanged phone #2.  Phone #3 exhibits the same poor call receive voice.  Three new phones. Same call quality.

Anyone else experiencing this issue?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Galaxy Note 3 voice garbled, popping, morphed, etc during calls?
    lizziep00h Newbie

I am having the same problems I plan on going to the store today to exchange my phone

• 2. Re: Galaxy Note 3 voice garbled, popping, morphed, etc during calls?
    ASHAKI_ZURI Regular Visitor

YES!! i've been having the same exact issues!!!! I looked all over the internet and thought it was just my phone that was acting crazy, but now i'm starting to see more and more threads regarding this. I'm on my second, going back tomorrow to return for my third. Samsung needs to get it together

• 3. Re: Galaxy Note 3 voice garbled, popping, morphed, etc during calls?
    John032060 Expert

Continued investigation.

1. I reactivated my samsung galaxy note 2.

2. I experienced no issues that I am currently having with my note 3.

3. This would seem to indicate that the problem is in the hardware or software/firmware of the phone and not the carrier (Sprint) frequency.

4. I called Samsung again, and they mentioned a possible recall.

5. It is important to note that this was only a comment made by the phone operator. The comment still took me by surprise regardless of any potential follow-through on Samsung's part.

6. It would be interesting to know if this is location isolated (I'm in Southern California), or a widespread occurrence.

7. It would also be interesting to know if this was isolated to white phones only and not the black phone. I have had three white Note 3's thus far.

8. It would also be interesting to know if this was just one batch that was affected. I obtained my 3 phones at best buy not more than 2 miles separated from each of the two stores I purchased then through. I believe this was their first batch from the October 4th opening.

9. I have one arriving in the mail which I purchased online at Best Buy, so that would possibly be from a different batch. It was however a pre order, so it would be included in the initial releases.

Best Buy allows an exchange within 14 days, and that can be repeated indefinitely.  I'll keep exchanging this phone until I get one that does not have a problem.

It would seem that Samsung has left the quality assurance to those who purchase their expensive phone, so it seems right to use this Best Buy policy in order to get a working phone.

If you are having these same phone issues, please include the color of your phone and a general non-personally identifying location (City?).

Sorry to hear you are all experiencing like issues with your new phone.

Remember: if a phone is returned within 3 days (and they sometimes count the day of purchase), Sprint refunds any activation fee charged.  If you return the phone within 14 days (counting day of purchase as day one), you reset your upgrade allowance if that's how you purchased it.

Thus, if you desire to try for a new replacement within three days of purchase, it's best to do a total return, then repurchase the phone (not exchange). That gives you another 3 days to try the replacement out without incurring the $36 dollar activation/upgrade fee.

If you've already gone over 3 days, just exchange it prior to 14 days.  Each exchange resets your 14 day return option. Don't go over 13 days or you loose your upgrade status for that particular line.

Thank you.

John

Thank you.

• 4. Re: Galaxy Note 3 voice garbled, popping, morphed, etc during calls?
    lizziep00h Newbie

I have the black note 3 and I'm currently in Phoenix, az! Where did you hear about the recall from?

• 5. Re: Galaxy Note 3 voice garbled, popping, morphed, etc during calls?
    John032060 Expert

When I mentioned I was on my third phone, the Samsung Technical phone operator put me on hold, then, when he returned on the line, stated their might be a recall. I don't put much stalk in that phone operator statement, but it was odd to hear him state such.

Or best bet for Samsung "doing something" is public awareness that the issue exists. I believe they get their cues from public attention (dare I say outcry?).  The Note 2 is such an awesome phone and very stable. I've had no issues with it whatsoever. That's rare.  I had high hopes for the Note 3.  Call quality of this sort for a $700 phone (off contract) is unacceptable.  As it is, Sprint is selling its on-contract Note 3 for $50 more than other carriers.  That makes this Sprint specific issue (if indeed it is Sprint specific) that much worse.

I hope you get things ironed out. Maybe the second batch will be ok.  It's going to get costly for retailers with return policies until they fix the phone issues.

Good luck.  John

• 6. Re: Galaxy Note 3 voice garbled, popping, morphed, etc during calls?
    frathouse Newbie

Same issue, purchased black note 3 at Best Buy on launch day..in Utah.  Issue present from Utah to Los Angeles!  Spoke to Sprint customer service after reading John's post (made rep also read original post); rep did not acknowledge issue, said repair center should look at phone.  Rep did not seem to care when I said was within return period and I would be doing an exchange. Thank you John for your original post.

• 7. Re: Galaxy Note 3 voice garbled, popping, morphed, etc during calls?

I'm on my second phone looking to exch/return for my third today. I'm also in southern cali San Diego to be exact. I have the note 3 in white as well. They did an exchange for my second phone

..should this have been a return? !does sprint alow u unlimited exchanges/returns within 14 days?  I would hate to be stuck with this phone that doesn't work for such an hefty price! What is samsung contact info?

• 8. Re: Galaxy Note 3 voice garbled, popping, morphed, etc during calls?
    John032060 Expert

In California, Best Buy's policy is a 14 day return even if it's just a customer not satisfied with the product.  A $700 dollar phone with frequency modulations that could actually injure one's hearing with frequency spikes certainly qualifies.  If I suspect hesitation from any Best Buy employee in honoring their return policy, I'd bypass the sales section and go right to the returns desk and return the whole shebang. Then repurchase either there, or at another Best Buy (because of their 14 day return policy).  You could also repurchase at a Sprint store. Sprint has the same 14 day return policy (as well as the 3 day "no activation/upgrade/restocking" fee.)  The Best Buy in California does not charge for a restocking fee, yet Sprint might past the 3 day "try it without incurring any fee" period.  Also, these "day" representations can be tricky as they sometimes count the purchase day as a full day.

Regardless, the initial 14 days is there so customers aren't locked into an expensive phone and even more expensive 2 year plan commitment should the phone not meet personal qualifications and/or expectations.

Buying a $700 phone, or a $350 phone with a two year commitment isn't a light purchase nor light decision, especially if you add the $300 watch.

The Best Buy(s) where I'm at are professional and personable in their sales (and tactics). California laws are pretty strict when it comes to protecting the consumer. People buy from retail giants like Best Buy for peace of mind regarding return policies (read this policy carefully before purchasing in your particular location).

If it's in writing, no one should have to feel... threatened... in returning a phone (or any product) that doesn't meet personal expectations within a return policy period.

You'll see large corporations (Samsung) put a product out on a scheduled deadline which may have issues. That's when the consumer becomes the "quality control" stool pigeon. That's when we speak out publicly and return the defective product batch. That's why "recalls" exist: the public calling attention to an issue a company missed (or discovered) for the safety of the consumer.

Read the Best Buy policy in your area. If the return policy clearly states a 14 day return is allowed without restrictions, that's all one need really present.

Our Best Buy has that electronic signature thing. You sign it multiple times for each "I'm aware" agreement section of the contract. One such signature is regarding the 14 day return. It's a right. It's a contract that goes both ways.

I hope this encourages (empowers?) Samsung consumers to evaluate the return policy, and exercise it to it's fullest extent in obtaining, our eventually obtaining, a very expensive Samsung Galaxy Note 3 void of connected call voice quality issues (garbled, popping frequency pitch, morphed wavelengths, high pitched squealing, etc).

Good luck.

John

• 9. Re: Galaxy Note 3 voice garbled, popping, morphed, etc during calls?

I did an update last night...it seemed to help so far. have you tried?

• 10. Re: Galaxy Note 3 voice garbled, popping, morphed, etc during calls?

Actually no it didn't   I got my phone from the sprint store

• 11. Re: Galaxy Note 3 voice garbled, popping, morphed, etc during calls?
    John032060 Expert

Samsung 24 hour Mobile Support Line: (888) 987-4357

At the voice menu, press 1

When more options are given, press 1 again

When yet more options are presented, press 3

(1, 1, 3)

A. Give your mobile number to the rep.

B. Explain how your connected call's incoming voice quality presents intermittent distortion of the caller's voice, with intermittent popping and short high pitched squealing of their words and tone. Explain how this poor receiving voice quality presents through headphones, speaker phone, or normal ear piece listening during a connected call. Explain that these poor voice quality characteristics are not present during video, music, nor recorded voice listening, but only during the connected call. Alter this description appropriately.

Explain how many others are experiencing this. Relay this web resource for affirmation of this statement.

Relay how a factory reset does nothing.

Relay that you're not sending them your phone for 2 weeks since replacement new phones exhibit the same unacceptable call quality. If applicable, state how Sprint (or whatever carrier) relayed that your towers are functioning normally.

State how you're returning/exchanging the phone instead on your return policy.

Ask them to have their technicians resolve the issue on future phone sales rather than request everyone reset their phone or send their brand new expensive phone in for repairs.

Thank them for immediately calling attention of this matter to their senior staff.

If they state they are "elevating you to a higher technical support staff", you can bet you'll wait on the line indefinitely. I hung up after 30 minutes.

Good luck.

John

• 12. Re: Galaxy Note 3 voice garbled, popping, morphed, etc during calls?
    John032060 Expert

Yes, each new phone received the Samsung update.

That update was basically to address the Watch capabilities as well as something to do with performance testing software interactions. It's not always easy to find out exactly what the updates do, but I read about that update specifically in hopes it had something to do with voice quality. No such luck.

Thanks. John

• 13. Re: Galaxy Note 3 voice garbled, popping, morphed, etc during calls?
    John032060 Expert

Sprint's customer service number: The Sprint store has the same "3 day" no activation/upgrade fee grace period and 14 day "keep your upgrade status" return period.

Call Sprint Customer SERVICE at (888) 211-4727 and press 1 when prompted regarding whether you're calling from that phone line (if applicable). Then choose menu option 4, then menu option 5, then menu opt-in 6 to reach a live operator to affirm your cellular towers are functioning proudly.

You can actually press *2 on your dial pad, then scroll down to "Contract Sprint" to reach customer support.

Good luck.

John

• 14. Re: Galaxy Note 3 voice garbled, popping, morphed, etc during calls?
    Shannon_DE Social Care

JohnBBS,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.  Sprint has not gotten any word from Samsung as to these issues, but it is definitely sounding like a hardware/software issue.

You have provided all the information I would also provide in the post with your #'s 1-9 regarding our return/exchange policy.

I will continue to monitor this thread for any updates from anyone out there, and will certainly post on behalf of Sprint if I hear of any solutions.

Thank you all for continuing to keep us and others updated.

*Shannon

Social Care

1 2 3 68 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points