1 2 3 4 5 7 Previous Next 91 Replies Latest reply: Apr 9, 2014 10:06 AM by dfp123 Go to original post RSS
  • 30. Re: Will Sprint off a Visual Voicemail.apk for the Nexus 5?
    dfp123 Regular Visitor
    Currently Being Moderated

This way of working isn't acceptable by anyone that uses a cell phone. and sprint is telling people to switch to google voice to work around it.  This is unacceptable .  

• 31. Re: Will Sprint off a Visual Voicemail.apk for the Nexus 5?
    coasterphotos Bronze Expert

Then you should have done some research and bought a different phone. None of the Nexus phones on Sprint have had VVM. The Nexus S released in 2011, or the Galaxy Nexus released in 2012. If you want VVM, unless Sprint decides to make an app available for download, you need to buy a Sprint branded phone as they will come with the app.

You can still get your voicemail so you are still getting what you pay for. And Google Voice works just fine.

As far as other carriers having apps available...Verizon charges you $2.99 a month extra for visual voicemail and AT&T requires an LTE data plan with Visual Voicemail add-on. And the T-Mobile app doesn't currently work on the Nexus 5 and there are a bunch of workarounds to get the AT&T app to work.

• 32. Re: Will Sprint off a Visual Voicemail.apk for the Nexus 5?
    wind1 Newbie

What you posted sounds right, but your saying if you buy a Sprint phone from Sprint store you get VVM. So Nexus 5 is on the Sprint store. So I think you missed just that one part. Also as you said all the other carriers other then Sprint you can get VMM. So your last comment being nice is that Sprint doesn't care about their users and would like to see them leave to ATT or Verizon for a good customer services and a company that supports their clients.

Got it. Leave Sprint. Sounds good to me. I think Sprint has horrible coverage also. I can't get it almost anywhere and my son on ATT has not problems.

• 33. Re: Will Sprint off a Visual Voicemail.apk for the Nexus 5?

I said nothing about buying a Sprint phone from the Sprint store. I said a Sprint branded phone...as in one that says Sprint on it and in nearly if not every case displays the Sprint logo when you turn it on. The Nexus series are Google branded phones and come with no carrier software.

Yes, other carriers have VVM apps to download but also charge extra for the service.

• 34. Re: Will Sprint off a Visual Voicemail.apk for the Nexus 5?
    dfp123 Regular Visitor

Other vendors charge you differently for a lot of things. WHats that got to do with anything. Voicemall is included in our plan, an app that works with it should also be available.  It doesn't have to be the pretty visual voice mail app.

• 35. Re: Will Sprint off a Visual Voicemail.apk for the Nexus 5?

dfp123 wrote:

Other vendors charge you differently for a lot of things. WHats that got to do with anything. Voicemall is included in our plan, an app that works with it should also be available.  It doesn't have to be the pretty visual voice mail app.

What other kind of app is there? My point was that the other providers charge extra for an app. Yes, voicemail is included in our plan and you can access it by calling it.

• 36. Re: Will Sprint off a Visual Voicemail.apk for the Nexus 5?
    dfp123 Regular Visitor

Have you looked in the app store? lots of  free Visual Voice Mail apps from other cell companies.    Also lots of apps that aren't pretty.

• 37. Re: Will Sprint off a Visual Voicemail.apk for the Nexus 5?
    michele242 Regular Visitor

The problem with all of this is I don't receive voicemail notifications. Yes, it sucks that with some of the latest hardware and OS, I cannot have a great feature from Sprint as well; visual voicemail.

If I had to deal with push 1 on dialer pad to access mail, that would be OK. However, it is not acceptable to have to do so just to see if I have any messages.

N5 doesn't come with any "Sprint" branded software but it sure as heck would be nice if I had the option to install some if I so choose. Back on my Sprint Moment, I had the option to use Sprint's nav or Google nav. Why not give Sprint users some options?

It's not like owners of the N5 are asking for Sprint to create a brand new app for them. We'd simply like to use one that they have already developed. Just turn the switch on to allow N5 owners to use voicemail.apk.

And no, Google Voice is not an option.

• 38. Re: Will Sprint off a Visual Voicemail.apk for the Nexus 5?

The voicemail notification problem is related to KitKat and affects all providers, not just Sprint. It is something Google has to fix.

The Sprint Moment was still a Sprint branded phone. While it did run the basic Android interface, it still had Sprint software on it. It wasn't a Nexus.

Most of the Sprint software is more integrated into the OS so some of it is not as simple as just installing the app. If it was that simple, the visual voicemail app that has been pulled from other phones would work...but it doesn't. You can still use the Sprint Navigation although that name was dropped a long time ago. It has gone through a couple name changes and is now called Scout GPS Navigation & Traffic and is provided by Telenav...the same company that provided Sprint Navigation. There are a few other Sprint specific apps available to download as well in the Play Store.

Google Voice works fine...and is what Sprint says Nexus users should use, going all the way back to the Nexus S.

• 39. Re: Will Sprint off a Visual Voicemail.apk for the Nexus 5?

Well what a perfect way for Sprint to differentiate themselves from other carriers of the N5 be to get their 3rd party visual voice mail app to work with the N5?

Thanks for the history lesson, which I already knew but you are bouncing around the issue with lame corporate-like responses.

Do you know how Visual Voicemail on Sprint works? From my understanding of it from a layperson perspective, when you receive voicemail on a Sprint account with a smartphone activated, a text message is sent to the smartphone to notify the user of the message. Almost all smartphones activated on Sprint will have a way to deal with this text message to notify you of the voicemail. Without a way to deal with this text message, you get the message via SMS from 9016. That is Sprint's issue, not Google's. When I have voicemail, I get a random text message from 9016 that is not translatable. Because of this annoyance, I had blocked incoming texts from 9016.

As I understand it, all Sprint would have to do is add the N5 (serial numbers, IMEIs, whatever) to the list of phones that the voicemail.apk can work with. I've installed the app. It does, in fact, attempt to connect to Sprint's voicemail servers. It cannot. If Sprint allowed it, this issue is over.

What you're stating is that Sprint "says Nexus users should" use a 3rd party voicemail app; Google Voice. Why not offer an actual Sprint app to connect to a Sprint service? ****, like with other carriers, even offer it as a monthly paid service?

As it stands, I have a phone (which can be purchased directly from Sprint) that uses Sprint's service which is missing the ability to use one of a phone's main feature...VOICEMAIL. Sprint can deflect the issue or deal with it head on. If they don't want to offer options for the phone to use Sprint's features, they shouldn't carry the phone in the first place.

Again, I'd be happy if I could get the phone to send me a notification that there is voicemail waiting on Sprint's server for me to retrieve it. I can't even get that.

Voice, is not an option as I already use the service for my business; a paid service from Google.

• 40. Re: Will Sprint off a Visual Voicemail.apk for the Nexus 5?

The notification issue has to be fixed by Google. They apparently attempted in 4.4.2 and failed. Sprint can't fix Google's software.

This issue has come up on the Nexus S and the Galaxy Nexus and neither time did Sprint offer an app so I doubt they will do so now.

Since Sprint has no input on the software for the Nexus phones, there will be no way to deal with the text notifications for their VVM. It has nothing to do with the phone simply being activated on Sprint, it has to have the code built into the OS to intercept that message. So as it currently works, Sprints app will never work correctly on a Nexus, even if they allowed it to be installed.

What I don't understand is if having a Sprint VVM app is so important, why do people buy a phone that doesn't have it? From a line of phones that hasn't had it since 2011? If the app was that important to me, I'd take advantage of the 14 day return policy and take it back and get a phone that had the app.

• 41. Re: Will Sprint off a Visual Voicemail.apk for the Nexus 5?

I understand the notification issue needs to be fixed by Google. I already said that. I also already said it would be nice if Sprint picked up the slack...on their own accord....to fix the issue for their customers.

My first Nexus device so didn't know about S and Galaxy.

You are incorrect about code being built in for the voicemail.apk. The proof is being a Sprint customer, you can run a custom ROM like CyanogenMod but still use voicemail.apk. Cyanogen and Sprint do not collaborate to make it work. Sprint relies on the IMEI or serial number (or some phone identifier) to allow access to their visual voicemail system. So, AGAIN, Sprint just needs to allow the N5 access to their visual voicemail service. The app is standalone and does not need to be baked in to the N5.

And I never...NEVER...said the app was so important. If you read what I wrote, I said it's not even necessary; it would be a bonus. Google needs to fix the notification issue. I believe Sprint can easily allow the visual voicemail app. T-Mobile and AT&T have. Sprint should as well.

• 42. Re: Will Sprint off a Visual Voicemail.apk for the Nexus 5?
    Social Care

michele242,

Thanks for the post. Sorry to hear your N5 vmail is not working. Have you been able to have an advance tech from one of our service and repair centers? Have you contacted Google about this? There has to be a patch implemented if your dont have a first party vmail. Have you taken a look at any third party vmail app?

Victor
    Sprint Social Care

• 43. Re: Will Sprint off a Visual Voicemail.apk for the Nexus 5?

michele242 wrote:

I understand the notification issue needs to be fixed by Google. I already said that. I also already said it would be nice if Sprint picked up the slack...on their own accord....to fix the issue for their customers.

My first Nexus device so didn't know about S and Galaxy.

You are incorrect about code being built in for the voicemail.apk. The proof is being a Sprint customer, you can run a custom ROM like CyanogenMod but still use voicemail.apk. Cyanogen and Sprint do not collaborate to make it work. Sprint relies on the IMEI or serial number (or some phone identifier) to allow access to their visual voicemail system. So, AGAIN, Sprint just needs to allow the N5 access to their visual voicemail service. The app is standalone and does not need to be baked in to the N5.

And I never...NEVER...said the app was so important. If you read what I wrote, I said it's not even necessary; it would be a bonus. Google needs to fix the notification issue. I believe Sprint can easily allow the visual voicemail app. T-Mobile and AT&T have. Sprint should as well.

I don't think it has anything to do with the IMEI or serial #. The phone needs to know what to do with that text message it gets. Just having a phone identifier in their system won't fix that. Plus, the apk worked on the Galaxy Nexus which didn't come with it.

• 44. Re: Will Sprint off a Visual Voicemail.apk for the Nexus 5?
    dfp123 Regular Visitor

Victor,

It would be nice if Sprint would reply one way or other to the main jist of the thread. Is Sprint going to offer a voicemail app? If not what thrid party apps that do not require me to send my voicemail to another voicemail service provider work with Sprint?  It seems from your post that you belive that Sprints Vmail app is suppose to work with the N5. If so where do we get this "workin" version?

1 2 3 4 5 7 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points