1 2 3 Previous Next 41 Replies Latest reply: Nov 4, 2014 5:10 PM by SprintCare RSS

unlock iphone 4s after 2 years contract

Thomasxx36 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hi , I have two smart phone connection with Sprint and decided to cancel the second connection. 2 years contract with sprint was finished last week and today I called Sprint customer support to get the help on unlocking the iphone 4s. I was asked to call the international unlock department on 888 226 7212 , then it was forwarded to technical support team. It took around 2 hours and I talked to 5 customer representatives (explaining my need from begining) and finally got a six digit unlock code from sprint , Support person told me to watch youtube videos to understand how to unlock the phone using unlock code. I have upgraded my phones multiple times and this is the first time attempting to unlock the phone , I am not sure a customer should  go through all these hassile? If we cannot unlock the phone after the contract , I don't see any single reason to continue using this. My primary phone upgrade is due in next june and why should I upgrade if I cannot use the current one.

Please let me know the unlock code received from sprint is for any use ? how to unlock iphone 4s using this code ? Please do the needful.

Thanks !

• 1. Re: unlock iphone 4s after 2 years contract
    SprintCare Social Care

Thomasxx36

Hello,

First of all sorry for the hassle and bouncing around this caused. I am here to assist you. Please tell me what purpose you want the unlock code for. Typically when customers ask to unlock they’re device it’s due to them traveling outside of the US. If this is the case, our international support would need to handle this matter for you. Please let me know if this is what you are trying to do.

Thanks

Roxana
    Sprint Social Care

• 2. Re: unlock iphone 4s after 2 years contract
    Thomasxx36 Newbie

Hello Roxana,

This was my wife's phone and she wanted to cancel the connection after the 2 years contract , she would like to use the phone here or give her parents international. My request is how to unlock the phone using this code? can we use this phone with any other GSM providers ?

thanks in advance

• 3. Re: unlock iphone 4s after 2 years contract
    SprintCare Social Care

Thomasxx36

Hello,

Thanks for your response. Is this device still active with us? If so tech support should be able to unlock it for that use. Try to give them a call to have that done and let me know how it goes.

Thanks

Roxana
    Sprint Social Care

• 4. Re: unlock iphone 4s after 2 years contract
    Thomasxx36 Newbie

Hello Roxana ,

This device is not active with sprint , tech support provided the unlock code which I don't know how to use.

thanks

THomas

• 5. Re: unlock iphone 4s after 2 years contract
    SprintCare Social Care

Thomasxx36,

Thanks for the replies, it looks like our technical department provided you with the appropriate code to access the settings of the phone. Sprint doesn’t unlock the device, we provide you with the code to help you access internal settings of the device. If you’re trying to use this device with another U.S. carrier that is compatible with the handset then I would suggest contacting this company to help with your request. 

Eduardo C
    Sprint Social Care

• 6. Re: unlock iphone 4s after 2 years contract
    ahmb801 Regular Visitor

That code is completely useless when it comes iPhones. It has to be unlocked by Sprint through Apple.

Bill

• 7. Re: unlock iphone 4s after 2 years contract
    ufo9573 Valued Member

I made a BIGGGGGG mistake signing up with Sprint. Now I have 3 useless iPhones after my 2-year contract was up because stupid Sprint refuses to unlock them. Agrhhh! I just quit Sprint for other carrier.

• 8. Re: unlock iphone 4s after 2 years contract
    Rhowellf Newbie

Yes sprint is a BIGGGGG MISTAKE, they gave me code numbers also but no instructions on how to use them.

• 9. Re: unlock iphone 4s after 2 years contract
    SprintCare Social Care

Rhowellf,

I apologize for the inconvenience.  Have you called back in to our international deparment to be walked through the steps?

Thank you,
    *Shannon
    Social Care

• 10. Re: unlock iphone 4s after 2 years contract
    R2011 Regular Visitor

Hi Shannon,

I was with Sprint 14 Years (since 1999). Recently I waited to you people complete your Tower software upgrades (but now also, no change in reception or signal), though the reception of my current location was bad for the last six month (my location - center of the Edison, NJ). I literally not used my phone at all on sprint network, (i.e. only I used on my home WiFi), but I paid sprint bill every month all these six months since my contract was there. So, now my contract ended. The sprint supervisor from some special department (I don't remembered the name of the person or dept., but you may check,45 days ago, I believe you can still see my account note) suggested me to transfer the number first and then call Sprint customer care to get the unlock code. I just followed his stupid instructions, then learn that they give code only if the phone is active. I spent another four hours on four different call with sprint and finally got six digit code, but no instruction. Now this iPhone 4S is piece of junk.

Now you are suggesting to call international dept.,???  The sprint customer service (including the international department) clearly told me they are not going to walk me through any kind of unlocking process. That what the instruction they got from their management. In that earlier four hours that four different calls one person told me  it is law. They don't want to break the law.

Any way if at all you really has correct and honest solution please respond here or send me email.

Regards,

R.

• 11. Re: unlock iphone 4s after 2 years contract
    SprintCare Social Care

R2011,

Thanks for reaching out. I see how this could be a frustrating situation. There are a few things at work here first. We are only required to give the MSL for the device. It is up to the other carrier to unlock the device with the MSL. Also, the iPhones that we carry we cannot unlock. You may have to call apple directly to get that taken care of. I know this is not what you wanted to hear, but it is the truth.

Sean L
    Social Care

• 12. Re: unlock iphone 4s after 2 years contract
    R2011 Regular Visitor

Thank you for the quick response. Please correct If I was wrong. This Law was passed in some where Jan. 2013, the device bought (or manufactured) before that date are not locked by the manufacturer (Apple), that only Sprint send software update and locking those device. Particularly my batch (First batch of iPhone from Sprint) are purely unlocked for GSM SIM or GSM Network by the Apple at that time release of iPhones to Sprint. So sprint was send their software updates (lock the GSM etc.,) while the phone is in service. May be here I am giving to much info and also it is to much complicated with Apple as well, i.e. either for you (Sprint) for the software updates or for me the get very small question answered. Here I can give one earlier example  Sprint-Apple understandings issue, I.e. About the "Visual Voice Mail". The fix for that visual voice mail done by the right-away but "Apple" took more that six months to put on these iPhone. I hope you remember that issue, because I was the one suffered a lot, hence I remember it very each and ever details of it.

Now I don't know what MSL is but the question is, If the Sprint has any really willingness to help their customer (No, I am sorry for old customer), and get some goodwill, then they may do this properly, just by reversing that software updates on these iphones like my iPhone 4s batch (i.e. manufactured before Jan 2013).

• 13. Re: unlock iphone 4s after 2 years contract
    SprintCare Social Care

Thank you for the reply.  I'm glad to see that you have taken such an interest in this issue. Sprint is in accordance by supplying the MSL to those that qualify.  The software updates that you are speaking of don't really have anything to do with the unlocking of devices.  Software updates are done by the manufacturer and the reason that they release different ones for each manufacturer is that even though phones may look identical and have the same name they have different software and hardware components for each carrier. (Some phones are more different than others).
    There are plenty of rumors and misleading information regarding the unlocking issue and much of what is available on the internet must be taken with a grain of salt and most of the people claiming that all the devices are the same are only able to get slight functionality when bringing a device over from one carrier to another carrier.  (This goes for most devices from domestic carriers)

Thank You,

Sprint Social Care Team

Michael C.

• 14. Re: unlock iphone 4s after 2 years contract
    HIFIGUITARGUY Newbie

SprintCare, I Hope you are not referring to Apple's support documents as 'misleading'; they probably wouldn't appreciate that.

iPhone: About unlocking

Apple's own page states you, the carrier, are the only party capable of submitting the request to unlock the phone.  This  seems to insinuate the carrier submits the request to Apple, as who else would a request be 'submitted' to?

Apple's instructions state otherwise, a setup process (software update) is pivotal to the carrier unlocking process.

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points