1 2 3 Previous Next 38 Replies Latest reply: Jan 4, 2015 11:26 PM by SprintCare Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Framily Plan and Change of ownership question.

jburg23 Expert
Currently Being Moderated

Everyone keeps asking about existing customers joining together to have a Framily account.  All that is mentioned on the site is that you can do a change of ownership request to merge existing customers together and then form a framily plan. 

The question I think everyone has is this.

When you do this -- who becomes responsible for the bill.  Once the ownership is changed then doesn't that mean that the bill will end up going to one family instead of two or three?  That would not be acceptable to many.

Can you do a change of ownership -- create the Framily Plan -- then do another change of Ownership to separate the accounts again so the bills go to different locations?  Is that the solution. 

There is definitely not enough information given  at the following website.  http://support.sprint.com/support/article/Customer_Instructions_for_Change_of_Ownership/2a4c5654-b645-4613-8262-a689a275…

Also -- when doing this do people have to pay an early termination fee for the account they are transferring?

• 1. Re: Framily Plan and Change of ownership question.
    Social Care
    jburg23, The account the line is transferring to would now be responsible for charges on the line. The ETF is not charged when transferring lines between accounts since the line is not being canceled, any existing contract is moved with the line to the new account. For lines with an Easy Pay agreement the agreement is canceled with the transfer, the remaining balance for the Easy Pay agreement is charged to the account the line was transferred from. *Jathen Sprint Social Care
  • 2. Re: Framily Plan and Change of ownership question.
    jburg23 Expert

Thanks for your answer Jathen -- now the other question you forgot to answer was

After transfering ownership into one account -- and setting up the Framily plan for that account -- can they transfer ownership back so they are on different bills?

That is the big question.  One person does not want to try and collect from others that are on their account because sprint did not allow them to join a framily plan if they already had an existing account.

Is that possible?  to transfer ownership back to the individual people once the Framily plan is established?

• 3. Re: Framily Plan and Change of ownership question.
    Social Care
    jburg23, Sorry for the lack of clarity. The line can be transferred to an existing account or a new account can be created if the customer is eligible to open an account. Please be aware that if you do this and the line has an active Easy Pay agreement the transfer voids the Easy Pay contract and the remaining device payment becomes due in full immediately. *Jathen Sprint Social Care
  • 4. Re: Framily Plan and Change of ownership question.
    71ajbrad Regular Visitor

You still didn't say whether he was able to transfer liability back to the original owners

• 5. Re: Framily Plan and Change of ownership question.
    jburg23 Expert

Thank you for asking that -- I just gave up when customer care did not answer it the first two times.  Maybe they will answer you.

• 6. Re: Framily Plan and Change of ownership question.
    SteveChopelas Newbie

I switched from an unlimited plan with 5 phones to the Framily a month ago so that I could add my mother's phone and her husband's phone and save us all money.  She had a small business and moved her husband's line over to her account when they got married.   When I tried to merge the accounts, I was told that both of us would need to be in person at a corporate Sprint store to make that happen. With the busy schedules, we were finally able to do that this past Saturday.  It was then when we learned that we could not have separate billing addresses.   We were told the only way to get separate bills was to close my mother's account first which would mean they could not keep their existing phone numbers.  So now I was stuck because I needed them on my plan but they did not want to give up their numbers.  Before I switched to Framily, for 5 phones I was paying $230 and my most recent bill was $250 ($35/line plus two new iPhones and 2 $10 3GB data plans.)  Far more than the ~$190 for 5 phones and iPhone installment plans I expected to pay. In store they had all kinds of problems with the transfer of ownership. The guy called three different national reps and argued with them all.  After opening the proper 'tickets', they were able to move my mother's line. They could not her husband's phone because it was somehow still locked from when he had his own account.  We were there for 2 hours and his phone is STILL not on the account.

My wife has always hated Sprint and their customer service anyway.  The time spent and single billing address became two more quills in her quiver.  With two new iPhones we can't move to a competitor at this point.  My only hope is that they get all of this sorted out and there is enough of an outcry to allow the Framily plan bills to be split out.  Once my daughter graduates college and moves out on her own, the thought of having to chase her and my mother to pay their part of the bills does not sound exciting.  It is more likely that I will sit tight for awhile and keep my fingers crossed that an competitor will see this frustration as an opportunity to poach customers from Sprint with a similar plan but with better execution.

• 7. Re: Framily Plan and Change of ownership question.
    Social Care
    SteveChopelas, This situation does sound frustrating and I do apologize. If you like we can look into your transfer of liability to make sure that everything is going ok. Please PM us with your phone number, PIN and a full description of events. Sean L Social Care
  • 8. Re: Framily Plan and Change of ownership question.
    MET19902011 Newbie

Yes, you will be able to transfer ownership back to the original owner, but you must wait a minimum of 45 days because their original account # will still be active/open with the Sprint credit department for that long, so if they tried to transfer back before that time they would end up with their OLD account # back which would not allow them to rejoin your Framily. This is what I was told by the credit department while I was at the Sprint store last month (things change fast, so this information could be outdated now)

If the account you want to join your Framily has more than one line it is easier to just have them transfer ownership within their own group first. For example Mom is owner of account with 4 lines (Mom, Dad, Billy, & Betsy) - Mom transfers ownership of all lines to Dad (or one of the kids that is 18yrs or older with decent credit) Dad is now the account owner with a NEW account # that has 4 lines (Dad, Mom, Billy, & Betsy). Dads account with all 4 lines can now join an EXISTING Framily within the 14 days allowed by Sprint. I hope this makes sense.

• 9. Re: Framily Plan and Change of ownership question.
    ZON1CUS Newbie

"The account the line is transferring to would now be responsible for charges on the line."

Please clarify this statement...

I thought Framily plan members got their own bill.. and thus, would be responsible for their own lines  (as far as creditors go, credit rating, delinquency, etc...  is that not true?

If I take my three lines and give ownership t another are they then responsible, fiscally?  or if a have someone transfer to  a new framily plan I create, then am I responsible for them paying on time?  Will it hurt me if they did not?

Also, If I switch to another's framily plan do I still remain a long term Sprint customer or will I be viewed as a new customer?

• 10. Re: Framily Plan and Change of ownership question.
    Social Care
    ZON1CUS, Hi there. Yes, you can have 10 different account holders, who are all responsible for their own bill and be all on the same Framily ID code. The only way it would effect you is if their accounts were closed out, in this case, someone else can join your ID and resume the discount. Your tenure with our company would remain as your account is still separate from the others on the ID code. *Andi R. Sprint Social Care Team
  • 11. Re: Framily Plan and Change of ownership question.
    jburg23 Expert

ok -- Andy response only answered part of your question.  If you transfer ownership then yes the person you transfered the ownership to is now responsible for payment.  So that really does not help much at all.  Now I also asked at one point if you could transfer ownership back once you have set up the framily plan with the person you merged your account with.  I will have to look up the response but I think it was yes you can but if you signed up using easy pay then the full easypay amount would be due because it changes your account.  But I am not 100 percent sure on that so if there is a sprint rep that could answer that it would be great.

Now if you have a framily plan and have someone join your plan then you would not be responsible at all for their bill.  You would only pay for your account and they would pay for theirs.  The only way they can effect your account is if they leave sprint -- then you price goes up a little depending upon how many people they had on their account.  SO if they were a single account holder with one account then your monthly price would go up by 5.00,  If they had three accounts on your Framily plan then your monthly payment would go up 15.00.

• 12. Re: Framily Plan and Change of ownership question.
    SeansNote2 Newbie

Bottom line is, DON'T DO IT. I tried this same thing when the plan first came out and am now screwed. Stay away from the framily plan and Sprint as a whole if you can.

• 13. Re: Framily Plan and Change of ownership question.
    Social Care
    SeansNote2, May I ask what happened in your situation?  Please let me know, I'm here to help. Thank you, KC Sprint Social Care
  • 14. Re: Framily Plan and Change of ownership question.
    kim5111 Newbie

Where on the easy pay contract does it say that if ownership is changed on a line that easy pay is cancelled and billed infull to original account holder. What legal right does sprint have to charge original account holder for a phone that belongs to the line thats taking over their own ownership

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...