1 2 3 Previous Next 36 Replies Latest reply: Jun 5, 2014 12:20 PM by SprintCare RSS

5/01 - Samsung Galaxy S III Software Update - ND8 (Android KitKat)

4Social Expert
Currently Being Moderated

Samsung Galaxy SIII Software Update - L710VPUDND8

Enhancements/Fixes

- OS upgrade to Android 4.4 (Kit Kat)

Important Notes

- The new software version is: L710VPUDND8

- Updates may be released in stages. When checking for the update, you may receive a message

that no update is available, check back later or wait until the update notification is sent to your device.

- Refer to the Samsung Galaxy S III Software Updates article in Support for more information.

Corrected the software version.

• 1. Re: 5/01 - Samsung Galaxy S III Software Update - ND8 (Android KitKat)
    kylenyuma Newbie

how long are we looking to wait till the update is rolled out to our phones?

• 2. Re: 5/01 - Samsung Galaxy S III Software Update - ND8 (Android KitKat)
    badankles Expert

KitKat looks to be a great update for Android, so I welcome it, but for those not familiar with KitKat (4.4) it is a major change to how external SD card is supported.  I am not sure how Samsung took that into consideration, but do not be surprised if some of your 3rd-party apps, especially ones you have moved to the SD card, no longer work or work as expected.  In addition, you might also need to adjust for how apps are writing (saving/updating) data to the external SD card.  I do not have KitKat yet, so do not know exactly, but any apps dealing with the external SD card will potentially have to be reinstalled or settings adjusted, is my guess.

Here is a good article on the KitKat and external SD card change: http://www.androidcentral.com/kitkat-sdcard-changes

My plan is to move the apps back to the device before upgrading to KitKat to minimize the headache.  But, I am ready to do a Factory Reset if it becomes too much.  With the backup options both Google and Samsung provide for the device, it's better the reset than dealing with the hiccups in the long term.

Good luck all.

Oh, by the way, I'm thinking Samsung Kies might get you the upgrade faster otherwise it could be months before the upgrade comes via OTA.

• 3. Re: 5/01 - Samsung Galaxy S III Software Update - ND8 (Android KitKat)
    abhi5 Regular Visitor

We havent received update from kies its only 2 days past the official release.We just cant wait so in how many days we can expect the upgrade to arrive through kies. Eagerly waiting for the sweet android version KITKAT!!

• 4. Re: 5/01 - Samsung Galaxy S III Software Update - ND8 (Android KitKat)
    SprintCare Social Care
    abhi5, Unfortunately we cannot say when the release will be to your phone. We do send them out in waves. Please bare with us. You will get the update as soon as possible. Stephanie B Sprint Social Care Team
  • 5. Re: 5/01 - Samsung Galaxy S III Software Update - ND8 (Android KitKat)
    Adoniram Newbie

I chose not to accept the 4.3.x ota update when offered - i just keep ignoring the nag screen (see below). When the 4.4.x ota update hits my service area will I be notified of its availability or will I have to get the 4.3.x update first before I can get 4.4.x?

About the nag screen... other than rooting is there a way to stop it from notifying (nagging) me every 5 minutes about an update being available? If I choose not to accept a particular update I obviously know it's available and don't want it, or wish to do it later when it's more convenient. In 4.1.2 there's no way, that I can see, to stop the nag screen and it is constantly popping up at the most inconvenient times. I'd rather have the option to permanently dismiss it, and then when I'm ready go and start the update. I hope this has been, or will be, fixed in later versions so that folks don't have to resort to rooting.

• 6. Re: 5/01 - Samsung Galaxy S III Software Update - ND8 (Android KitKat)
    abhi5 Regular Visitor

In what max weeks can we expect the update to arrive for sph L710

• 7. Re: 5/01 - Samsung Galaxy S III Software Update - ND8 (Android KitKat)
    JayJ909 Regular Visitor

It generally finishes roll out in about 2 weeks.

• 8. Re: 5/01 - Samsung Galaxy S III Software Update - ND8 (Android KitKat)
    StvnM Expert

To my surprise, my phone updated this weekend and did so with no problems. It took all but 15 minutes from the time it started to the time it rebooted and optimized the apps.

Android Version: 4.4.2

Baseband Version: L710VPUDND8

Build Number: KOT49H.L710VPUDND8

Cellular Service:     No change. Works as it always has

WiFi:                    Appears to have improved. Microwave oven did not knock it offline and if finds everything it did                                     before.

Data:                    Still blows but that's a Sprint coverage problem. Finds both 3G and 4G LTE without a problem when

available.

Bluetooth:             Connects to my BT headset and ear piece without a problem.

Apps:                   No problems thus far. All working as before

Battery:                Appears to be a bit better. Prior to the update, I could not make the drive from Los Angeles to

Sacramento without charging. On Sunday it made the drive and still had 21% battery remaining

Response:            Appears to be more responsive. Not seeing any lags.

Overall, the phone rebooted as before. I notice the GPS icon is now called Location. Other than that, I have not seen any real cosmetic changes. 4.4 did appear to fix an issue with the Afaria app (or broke it depending on your point of view) whereas now the SMS, Phone, etc, alert popup shows up when the phone is locked. Afaria is a security app required by my work as my phone accesses corporate resources such as email and calendar. There are no problems with that and all corporate apps load.

So MY experience is all is well thus far, as was 4.3. The update installed without a hitch, my SD card is intact, no changes were made to any of my default apps, lock screen, ring tones, etc. Just like it was before the update.

-sm

• 9. Re: 5/01 - Samsung Galaxy S III Software Update - ND8 (Android KitKat)
    Kidwell.S Regular Visitor

I got tired of waiting.  So I downloaded the zip file linked at QBKing77.com (from xda-developers.com)

Android Version: 4.4.2

Baseband Version: L710VPUDND8

Build Number: KOT49H.L710VPUDND8

So far no issues and some of the issues I had on 4.3 have been cleared up.  After I installed 4.3 my bluetooth connection stopped passing the song titles from my phone to my car display for the music player and Pandora apps.  With 4.4.2 this feature works again!  I didn't have to reinstall any apps or adjust any settings.  No data has been lost.

I was also able to pair my BLE Polar H7 heart rate monitor with Mapmyrun, Endomando, and Polar Beats apps without issue. 

I've been very happy so far and will be updating my wife's phone tonight.

• 10. Re: 5/01 - Samsung Galaxy S III Software Update - ND8 (Android KitKat)
    abhi5 Regular Visitor

odin is not working for me it crashes every time how u installed the flash

• 11. Re: 5/01 - Samsung Galaxy S III Software Update - ND8 (Android KitKat)
    JayJ909 Regular Visitor

You can install from recovery mode

• 12. Re: 5/01 - Samsung Galaxy S III Software Update - ND8 (Android KitKat)
    WirelessKoala Regular Visitor

1. After you have downloaded the L710VPUDND8 zip file to your laptop/PC, rename the file to update.zip.

2 . Copy update.zip to an external microSD card with at least 500MB of free space on it.

3. Insert the microSD  card into your SPH-L710

4. Boot the handset into recovery mode by simultaneously holding the Power, Home and Volume Up keys until you see the small blue wording of "Recovery boot...." at the very top left hand side of the screen.

5. Immediately release all three keys as soon as you see "Recovery reboot...".

6. Once in recovery mode, scroll down using the volume down control key to "apply update from external storage" and press the power key.

7. Scroll down to the update.zip file you placed on your microSD card and press the power key.

8. It shall take a few minutes to unzip and install the KitKat 4.2.2 update so go grab something to drink.

9. Reboot your SPH-L710 after the installation.

• 13. Re: 5/01 - Samsung Galaxy S III Software Update - ND8 (Android KitKat)
    AMYN1976 Regular Visitor

I received notification of the update for my phone and did so and it completed the install. My only problem now is that my phone is encrypted and will not go past me entering in my pin to load my phone. I enter my pin and it continues to restart each time.

Any advice???

• 14. Re: 5/01 - Samsung Galaxy S III Software Update - ND8 (Android KitKat)
    califguy12001 Newbie

I have downloaded this software update this morning and now can not get passed the incripted sign on.
    Can some please tell me how to get past this because now I can do ANYTHING , not even delete the app for encryption which is required for me to use my work email, so annoying, everytime I do an update I have some sort of issue.

1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...