9 Replies Latest reply: Feb 2, 2013 12:10 AM by bigvato88 RSS

Galaxy S3 unable to find mobile network

MelissaRuthMears Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

As of this morning around 0900 PST, my phone stopped connecting to the mobile network.  I restarted, shut down and started up, shut down, took out the battery and started up, then called Sprint.  Sprint had me shut down and remove the batter, then reactivated the phone.  None of thi worked.  I took it to the Sprint store where there was another customer who'd had the same exact thing happen to him.

I left the phone and went back to work (I'm a hospice RN and really need this phone!).  I checked in later with the Sprint tech guy and he said that it was a tower that was down, to get the phone and just keep restarted it until it reconnected.  He said it would be a few hours.

That was 11 hours ago.  Still nothing.  The phone now randomly restarts itself and for some reason, it managed to go from 85% to 0% battery at one point in a matter of 15 minutes.  I have it off now.  I'm really really frustrated and concerned.  I rely on a Smartphone for my work, to communicate with the clinical team, to chart, to look up references on drugs and treatments.

Has anyone else heard of something like this happening?  Do I need to chalk the Sprint tech guy up as a moron and just presume it's a hardware problem and that my phone needs repair?

ANY help or advice or even plain old commiseration would be deeply appreciated.

Take care,

-M

• 1. Re: Galaxy S3 unable to find mobile network
    MelissaRuthMears Newbie

I should also note that my husband, who also has a Galaxy S3, isn't having any trouble.

• 2. Re: Galaxy S3 unable to find mobile network
    Leena879 Newbie

Yes I agree, I had thw same problem since this morning around 9am or so. my Galaxy S3 has been on roaming and keeps switching to 3g back and for consistently but mostly stays on roaming. As if I didn't need my phone is slow enough on 3g without the 4g lite not running on Sprint Service. I know for a fact its not the phone cause my girlfriend has the same exact phone and is having the same problem. I hope they fix it soon and hurry up with the 4G Lite Already!

• 3. Re: Galaxy S3 unable to find mobile network
    piper216 Newbie

I'm having the same issue with the same phone. Have not been able to connect to the mobile network at all this morning. Tried restarting my phone several times. Very frustrating, since I use it for work. Battery strength plummeted from 91 to 66% while trying all the reboots. What's going on?

• 4. Re: Galaxy S3 unable to find mobile network
    IAmSixNine Valued Member

If you have access to another sprint phone see if it has service and how strong the signal strenght is.

If both devices have low/poor or no signal then its a system issue.

If the other phone has great service then it could be a hardware issue on your device and when it comes to hardware failures no amount of talking to customer care on the phone will fix it.

It would need to be replaced. Software problem is still possible but if your not very tech savvy its time to take it into a sprint store.

• 5. Re: Galaxy S3 unable to find mobile network
    MelissaRuthMears Newbie

Some of these replies are reporting low connectivity.  I was getting NO connectivity, a line in a circle where you normally see bars, a refusal to connect to the mobile network, frequentn spontaneous restarts, and a hanging "Looking for network" message.

Customer Service kept reporting it was a tower issue.  I called again this morning and they said the same thing.

Happily, this evening after work I went to a different Sprint store where the guy there recalled a recent email stating that this is a common issue happening with Galaxy S3s along with the fix:

1.  Connect phone to WiFi.

2.  Update Profile.

3.  Update PRL.

Rinse and repeat steps 2 and 3 until phone spontaneously reconnects to 3G and mobile networks.

It worked and that guy is a total hero.

• 6. Re: Galaxy S3 unable to find mobile network
    AllenChicago Valued Member

Thank-you Melissa for sharing the FIX!  If this forum is moderated, I hope that person makes your

post a "Sticky" at the top for assisting other GS3 owners who have the same non-connection issue.

• 7. Re: Galaxy S3 unable to find mobile network
    halldl02 Expert

Having worked in a customer service environment before, I'd say 90% of the time, when you are given an answer to something you can't independantly verify, they are getting rid of you.  Or they just don't know they answer and they are getting rid of you.

• 8. Re: Galaxy S3 unable to find mobile network
    Racpo Regular Visitor

I'm very glad that fix worked for you. Just as a note to others out there with the same problem, know that there may be some exceptions (including me unfortunately). I had the same problem, detailed in a post on this board, but my phone failed to update profile or RPL. I hope the fix works for others though!

• 9. Re: Galaxy S3 unable to find mobile network
    bigvato88 Newbie

I am having the same problem. I tried to do what Melissa said but it would go up to 4 bars then it would go back to 2 then 1 then eventually drop off. I called customer service and they told me that I am in an area with no problems. It can't be my house because I had the same phone (Samsung Galaxy S3) and never had this problem with US Cellular. So, I am not sure what to do. No turning back to US Cellular.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...