1 2 3 11 Previous Next 162 Replies Latest reply: Nov 30, 2013 10:55 PM by GBPackerFan12 RSS

Samsung Galaxy S2 V4.0.4 FI27 Shuts Down Randomly

tmojr21 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

I've had my phone for over a year and have loved it. About a week ago it began randomly freezing and/or shutting down, mainly when I am running multiple  apps simultaneously like email, Faceboom, maps, etc. First I lose my signal, then a cicle with a slash is displayed where my signal was displayed and then it freezes. I attempt to turn it back on and it turns off during the reboot process. I take out the battery to reboot and the same thing happens. Also, my SD card cannot be read and my GPS cannot find a signal. I performed a factory reset and made sure my phone had all the latest updates and it is still happening. I called Sprint and they did not have a solution other than sending me the updates again which did not correct the issue. When my phone is plugged in it works great. My brother has the same phone as I do, lives 40 miles from me and is having the exact same issues. Any suggestions other than to get a new phone?

• 1. Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 V4.0.4 FI27 Shuts Down Randomly
    Fergie_B Sprint Employee

tmojr21,

I'm very sorry to hear that you and your brother are experiencing issues with your S2.  If your issue was preexisting prior to your update and a hard reset has already been performed, I would need to know a bit more information.  Traditionally with Android devices if a device is freezing and locking up or power cycling it is due to a corruption in your operating system.  In many cases, this is due to an application that may be been installed on your phone that could be causing the issue.  Also, internal memory can play a factor here as well.  For instance, if you notice your device power cycling while running a graphic intensive game, that could point to a memory issue.  So my question would be a)  How much internal memory do you have available in your device?  b) After a factory reset, did you download the same applications you had on your device before?

Sincerely,

Fergie_B

Sprint Technical Support

Community Hours: 9am-2pm CST Sunday-Wednesday

• 2. Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 V4.0.4 FI27 Shuts Down Randomly
    jlee922 Newbie

I am having almost exactly the same issue. Bought the phone about 1 year ago, no problems until about 1 week ago. I hadn't installed any new apps for a month or so.  All of a sudden, the phone just shuts off by itself, even though the battery says I have 70% charge remaining. It's happened at 90% charge remaining as well. When I turn it back on, it'll stay on by itself, but if I try to open any apps, it will shut off again. The only time this doesn't happen is if the phone is plugged in. It has happened with Google Maps, Yahoo Fantasy Football, Gmail, Facebook, pretty much any of the apps that I've been using for the past year without any problems.  I tried uninstalling as many apps as I could, but it still keeps turning off!  What is going on? Sounds like an issue that lots of people are dealing with right now. I thought it might be a battery issue since it doesn't happen if my phone is plugged in.

• 3. Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 V4.0.4 FI27 Shuts Down Randomly
    tmojr21 Newbie

After I performed my factory reset, the only app I downloaded is my mail client, Moxier Mail. I do not believe the issue is app replated since the phone will freeze when I am using almost any app like maps, Facebook, internet, etc.  My storage is as follows:

Device Memory 1.97 GB with 1.65 GB available

USB storage 11.5 GB with 10.75 GB available

My brother, who has the same phone and is experiencing the same issue, took his phone to a Sprint store.  The representative asked him to remove his battery, placed it flat on the counter and spun it. It spun continuously for over 30 seconds. He immediately determined it was a battery issue.  He said when batteries go bad, they get a buldge in the middle that allows them to spin.  If it was flat, it would not spin.  I looked at my battery and it has a buldge as well and spins.  This makes sense since my phone works perfectly when plugged it.

I hope this helps anyone else having the same issue.

• 4. Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 V4.0.4 FI27 Shuts Down Randomly
    Mimzee Newbie

Thank you for your response. Haven't had the phone for a year but I guess I'll need to purchase a new battery .

I started having the exact same issue last Friday (10/19)-- must be a huge coincidence that all of our batteries are crapping out in the same week. My phone will shut off even if there is 50%+ battery and refuses to start up unless I plug it in. The weird part is... after only charging the phone for a couple of minutes and starting the phone, the battery life will appear to be at 33% or higher.

• 5. Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 V4.0.4 FI27 Shuts Down Randomly
    billysorock Regular Visitor

yeap its a bad battery even with a rapid temp[ charge during charge it wil shut off and yes sometimes the battery level readings are way off my dead out quick due to over charging but lucky i have about 4  spare new ones

• 6. Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 V4.0.4 FI27 Shuts Down Randomly
    RJN9 Newbie

So I see a lot of people are having the same issue as me. I went to 2 stores, and over 8 calls to sprint. no luck. Sprint finally gave in and is sending me a new refurbished phone. but is this a battery only issue? i see tmojr21 said a sprint person determined it was only a battery issue due to the bulge and spinning. my battery was tested by a sprint store and even though it has the bulge, and gets hot, they said there is nothing wrong with the battery. i would like to avoid getting a refurbished phone if it is only a battery issue. seems like most people you end up talking to at the store and on the phone are not really sure what to do.....but it seems like a lot of people are having the same issue in the same time frame. my phone is almost a year old.

• 7. Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 V4.0.4 FI27 Shuts Down Randomly
    GEEY1970 Newbie

MyGalaxy S2 is also running hot, it freezes at lease several times a week. It sometimes shut down for no apparent reason. Sprint does not have a reason. As soon as my contract is over I am totally done with SPRINT. They don't have a solution to the problem besides factory reset.

Message was edited by: YGRESHAM70

• 8. Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 V4.0.4 FI27 Shuts Down Randomly
    Grikgod Newbie

Sprint, This issue is affecting a huge number of us. Today, my phone shut down 6 bloody times, and I had to keep it plugged in to use it. This is NOT THE DEFINITION OF A WIRELESS PHONE!

I have been looking online and this is a big issue happening everywhere.

I am highly suspect of the timing, since the Galaxy S3 just came out, and what better way to get us to upgrade than by crapping out our old phones? These same shenanigans happened with my last galaxy phone, and I upgraded to the S2 less than 1 year ago.

I will be walking into a store tomorrow, and I expect to walk out either with a working WIRELESS phone, or a termination of my contract (with the past week refunded for not working as stated) and a cookie to apologize.

Seriously guys, get this **** together. Americans are already the last in cell phone technology and use, no wonder.

• 9. Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 V4.0.4 FI27 Shuts Down Randomly
    tmojr21 Newbie

My brother has the exact same phone and was having the same issue. The Sprint store employee immediately knew what the issue was. Once the new battery was installed my brother began launching apps like Facebook, Internet, maps, etc. Without any issues. He has not experienced any issues since installing the new battery.

A new battery was mailed to me. It should be here today or Monday.

It makes sense that if the battery is supposed to be flat, and it has a bulge and gets hot, it needs to be replaced. I'm disappointed the Sprint store employees you visited with did not appear to use common sense. Have then loan you a battery in the store and test your phone right there and see what happens.

• 10. Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 V4.0.4 FI27 Shuts Down Randomly
    Fergie_B Sprint Employee

Update:

If all of you appear to be experiencing swollen batteries and are experiencing power cycling of your device, I would like to create etickets for you to take them to the store.  If you would please send me the following information via private message, I would appreciate it.

To send a private message:

1.  Click on my name (Below my picture)

2.  Select Send a private message (Under Actions on the far right)

Information needed:

1.  Your phone number

2.  Your first and last name

3.  Your email address

4.  A brief description of your issue in conjunction with all troubleshooting steps that you have performed

Note:  Please only send this information via private message to protect your personal information.

Sincerely

Fergie_B

Sprint Technical Support
    Community Hours: 9am-2pm CST Sunday-Wednesday

• 11. Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 V4.0.4 FI27 Shuts Down Randomly
    ShaunPortlandOR Regular Visitor

I'm also having the same issues as above and will PM you.  But it looks like several topics have been opened up on the same issue..  (See bottom)

Mine also just started recently.  My battery could be at 70%, sudden loss of reception, low battery signal then phone is off.   Phone will come on only after reboot if I remove the battery.  If I leave the battery in, the phone shuts off just as fast as it turned on.  If I wait about 10 minutes, power up the phone you will see the battery life increase even if the charger IS NOT connected.

I also grabbed some screen shots of my battery life issues.

https://plus.google.com/photos/108507261464778478386/albums/5805670319957072033?authkey=CNz7yoSA_5O16QE

Same Topics........  

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/494438#494438

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/102130?tstart=0

• 12. Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 V4.0.4 FI27 Shuts Down Randomly
    CHROMEDRAGON3 Regular Visitor

I have already had my phone restored once, taken it to the repair place twice with no help. Contacted Customer care, battery is new, just replaced it about a month ago.. And wasn't having this bad of an issue before the new battery either. I am taking the phone to the store today and if it doesn't get repaired to my satisfaction I'm not going to be a very happy customer and I've been a Sprint Customer for over 6 years. This is the 4th renewal of my contract and there is absolutely no reason that I should have to pay the ETF if you guys won't fix the phone.

• 13. Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 V4.0.4 FI27 Shuts Down Randomly
    FL_Jim Newbie

I am having the same issue and it is driving me crazy.  I noticed that it started after I allowed an operating system upgrade about a month ago.    The first thing I noticed was that the battery life decreased dramatically.  It used to last from 6:30 AM until I plugged it into the charger at 11:00 PM.  After the upgrade I was lucky if the battery lasted until noon.  I recently allowed another upgrade to the OS and now I'm experiencing the shut-downs.  It's maddening.  I don't think I'm having a battery issue because like one of the earlier posters, when I plug the phone into a power source and turn it on, the battery meter reads above 70%.  If someone can tell me that this is definitively a battery issue, I'll gladly go out and buy one to stop the pain.  Alternatively, how do I go back to a previous version of the OS.  BTW, I have the version as tmojr21.

Thanks for your help,

Jim

• 14. Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 V4.0.4 FI27 Shuts Down Randomly
    Mimzee Newbie

Hi Everyone,

Update to my situation-- I responded to Fergie_B, but did not take my phone to a Sprint store as requested. Since I did not sign up for the replacement plan, it would've cost me at least $35 for them to diagnose the problem--then probably another $200 for a replacement phone.

I ordered a GENUINE Samsung battery off Amazon (made in Japan, finished in Korea) that cost me $12 (free shipping). It arrived in 2 business days. My phone works perfectly now!  All the issues that I had (loss of service in areas I've always had coverage, battery showing as 80% then just shutting down, etc.) does not exist anymore.

Unlike Jim, I updated the OS while I was having issues so I don't think my issues were caused ICS 4.04 or the bloatware. Hope this helps everyone!

1 2 3 11 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 4 points
  • Helpful Answers - 2 points